Help me get naked

Lint

I'm thinking of making my 99 into a streetfighter. Most of this I can figure out, but I'm stumped as to the headlight and all wires that connect into the back of the instrument cluster. If I were to eliminate the factory cluster, as mine is broken on the back, what do I do with all the wires? Zip tie and hide? But then what is done to make it run? I tried starting mine with the instrument panel removed and it turned over, but wouldn't start. I imagine one of them is the tip over switch, so that may have been why, as I only have them loose. 

What headlight has been used? I saw the er6n light in the streetfighter thread.
How can I mount it? I've seen single headlight sets with brackets that attach to the forks.

Your questions to me make more sense now.

The Acerbis vision was just strapped on with the rubber straps that come with it. Light output is rubbish.

The er6n headlight is on dodgy custom brackets by me because I aint seb. I will redo them in Ally at some stage. Hand bent brackets mounted off the bottom yoke, and one off the top yoke.

I made a sub harness to convert the H4 harness to match the 2 x H7 globes of the er6n. Great light output.

Have a look at the KTM duke 390 headlight. The whole bike is made in india, so should be cheap, and the new one mimics the LED version of the 1290.

I rerouted some of the harness, shortened some wires, etc. Most relays are now back near the seat. The tip over switch is wedged and cable tied in next to the battery.

Have you got a wiring diagram?

I'll find a wiring diagram. Somehow I can actually read them!!! Thanks for the ideas on the light. What is being used for a speedometer cluster? Does the stock one hide behind the er6n light? If the two connectors are left disconnected, does that affect anything, other than not seeing speed, rpms and blinkers?

my guage had everything I needed. speed, tacho, fuel guage, indicators, oil, an extra light I didn't need so it became my FI light.  No temp sensor, so that I have a separate koso temp guage.

All installed it 6 and a bit years ago when my wife was pregnant with our almost 6 year old. I'd finish work, finish house work that she couldn't do anymore, then head to the garage for some me time, listening to skindred (union black album). 

I would just match wires.

say the vfr indictor signal wire was red, and blue on the dash harness, I just cut to length and crimp/solder/whatever them together, and make a note on the harness diagram. Colurs for example only, I don't remember what colours do what.

There is some work to it. Its not hard, but it is a bit daunting when you do it for the first time.

the OEM dash is hiding on a shelf in the garage, not behind the er6 headlight.

Then you need a vfr750 front mount rad.

17 minutes ago, keef said:

my guage had everything I needed. speed, tacho, fuel guage, indicators, oil, an extra light I didn't need so it became my FI light.  No temp sensor, so that I have a separate koso temp guage.

All installed it 6 and a bit years ago when my wife was pregnant with our almost 6 year old. I'd finish work, finish house work that she couldn't do anymore, then head to the garage for some me time, listening to skindred (union black album). 

I would just match wires.

say the vfr indictor signal wire was red, and blue on the dash harness, I just cut to length and crimp/solder/whatever them together, and make a note on the harness diagram. Colurs for example only, I don't remember what colours do what.

There is some work to it. Its not hard, but it is a bit daunting when you do it for the first time.

the OEM dash is hiding on a shelf in the garage, not behind the er6 headlight.

Then you need a vfr750 front mount rad.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I'd have to cut and splice. The only hesitation I have in this is that if have a challenge if I ever wanted to go full faired again.

It's rare that I've seen a Street Fighter VFR800 done correctly (to my eyes).  Those side mounted radiators don't help.  And yes, there are a ton of wires and hoses that need to be hidden, re-routed, covered, or all combinations of this.  If not you just end up with a bike that looks like it came out of Mad Max, which has been done over and over and never really looks right and that's why people just paint them flat black to hide all the myriad unfinished details.

Also keep in mind that once it's street fightered out, all the exposed bits will be covered in moisture, dust, soot, bugs that they were never designed to get.  On top of that, you lose any and all wind protection.  Trust me on this:  when it's cold (and even just a little wet) you WANT wind protection!  LOL!  

I know.  I didn't help you get naked one bit!  

counterpoint:

i love my vfr, but i miss every sv650 i have owned. i dont like to ride the vfr real hard, because old fairings are expensive to replace, and my beat up old bike seems to constantly need work done on it, so i am no fan of constantly removing fairings and putting them back on. the bike isnt wrecked... it's just old and weathered. on the various sv's i have owned, i ride them year round. if it's 35*F or above, i will ride, unless it's cold and raining. i hate that. thick pants and grip warmers will get you through winter. i didnt find the fairing to be all that much use for me, being a tall guy. 

i am looking forward to putting my vfr back together as a nudist, and going for a ride!

keef, can you post some pics of your vfr750 rad set up? i think i had also heard sv radiators will fit well. how do you mount the rad to where you have enough wheel clearance? i know you have a gsxr front end on your vfr, so me and lint might not have the same luck there...

Hi Lint,

I think naked VFR800's look great, go great with shorter gearing and sound great.

If you search thru sebspeeds, keef's, apexandy, paladinreed, vfraustin, zefarton44, they have all built naked VFR's and there is load's of 

information and idea's for your build.

5a3308a2b0d09_VFR1-Copy.thumb.jpg.a4842f6fa50acd8d6f704f3ca87ec6a5.jpg

This is my twist on it, many idea's borrowed from those and other's mentioned before., CBR929 front, Ducati Monster seat, SV650 radiator, currently no fan and running to cold, will be changing thermostat to see if it helps, oh and flat black to highlight the myriad of finished details........

5a33097707514_VFR4.thumb.jpg.4b17a9e77bee5fce744793f3b8d9adb4.jpg

Ebay chinese cluster, $35 a bit of pot luck with these, wiring loom still needs a bit more love and the headlight is junk, starting to melt!

I relocated all the relay's and BAS under the petrol tank, front of the airbox there is some space, it's a tight fit.

Go for it and good luck.

5 hours ago, loosenoose said:

counterpoint:

i love my vfr, but i miss every sv650 i have owned. i dont like to ride the vfr real hard, because old fairings are expensive to replace, and my beat up old bike seems to constantly need work done on it, so i am no fan of constantly removing fairings and putting them back on. the bike isnt wrecked... it's just old and weathered. on the various sv's i have owned, i ride them year round. if it's 35*F or above, i will ride, unless it's cold and raining. i hate that. thick pants and grip warmers will get you through winter. i didnt find the fairing to be all that much use for me, being a tall guy. 

i am looking forward to putting my vfr back together as a nudist, and going for a ride!

keef, can you post some pics of your vfr750 rad set up? i think i had also heard sv radiators will fit well. how do you mount the rad to where you have enough wheel clearance? i know you have a gsxr front end on your vfr, so me and lint might not have the same luck there...

I don't have a 750 rad.

First I used a TL1000R front rad. It was really, really effective, really simple to do, and  it ran about 85*. Since it was cheap, it got a random leak so I thought I'd step it up.

I had a custom rad done, 42mm core (up from 16 of the TLR) but smaller overall so it wasn't wider than the frame and looked neater. I overcomplicated it, it was a PITA, runs at about 95 at freeway speeds, hotter commuting, and cant fit a decent fan, just small ones. looks better than the TLR, but not as functional. I should have just narrowed the TLR rad. 

Palladinreed used an sv650 rad with the same short  gixxer forks as me, seb has a vfr750 rad with stock forks, and a guy in Canberra has a 750 rad with cbr shorter than stock forks as well.

And my naked 800 is down to about 185kgs wet.

7 hours ago, Rogue_Biker said:

It's rare that I've seen a Street Fighter VFR800 done correctly (to my eyes).  Those side mounted radiators don't help.  And yes, there are a ton of wires and hoses that need to be hidden, re-routed, covered, or all combinations of this.  If not you just end up with a bike that looks like it came out of Mad Max, which has been done over and over and never really looks right and that's why people just paint them flat black to hide all the myriad unfinished details.

Also keep in mind that once it's street fightered out, all the exposed bits will be covered in moisture, dust, soot, bugs that they were never designed to get.  On top of that, you lose any and all wind protection.  Trust me on this:  when it's cold (and even just a little wet) you WANT wind protection!  LOL!  

I know.  I didn't help you get naked one bit!  

I've been riding fighters for close to 20 years. I don't need no stinking wind protection. 

• Member Contributer

I know it has nothing to do with VFR's, but here are my all time favourite street fighters/cafe racers.

I could own either of these and would have trouble not keeping them in my loungeroom.

cx500-cafe-racer-1.jpg

Speed triple.jpgI

I love the simplicity of the CX500, and the insect looks of the Speed Tripple.

On 12/14/2017 at 5:49 PM, Halfrider said:

Hi Lint,

I think naked VFR800's look great, go great with shorter gearing and sound great.

If you search thru sebspeeds, keef's, apexandy, paladinreed, vfraustin, zefarton44, they have all built naked VFR's and there is load's of 

information and idea's for your build.

5a3308a2b0d09_VFR1-Copy.thumb.jpg.a4842f6fa50acd8d6f704f3ca87ec6a5.jpg

This is my twist on it, many idea's borrowed from those and other's mentioned before., CBR929 front, Ducati Monster seat, SV650 radiator, currently no fan and running to cold, will be changing thermostat to see if it helps, oh and flat black to highlight the myriad of finished details........

5a33097707514_VFR4.thumb.jpg.4b17a9e77bee5fce744793f3b8d9adb4.jpg

Ebay chinese cluster, $35 a bit of pot luck with these, wiring loom still needs a bit more love and the headlight is junk, starting to melt!

I relocated all the relay's and BAS under the petrol tank, front of the airbox there is some space, it's a tight fit.

Go for it and good luck.

aside from the tank needing some good paint, your vfr looks great, and is what i'd love to see mine turn out like. do you have a build thread? if not, could you post some pics of the left side, and also mounts for the sv rad and the gauges? how difficult were the cheap ebay gauges to work with? i am not good at wiring. does it come with any sort of directions or even labels for the wires? 

did you have to do a lot for the cooling system when you chopped in the sv rad? re-use the hoses? what about the over flow tank? i'm all kinds of curious! lol

Hi, 

The tank is just plasti dip and my knee's rub it off, some metalic black paint is in the future.

To fit the radiator, I used the top mounts of the SV radiator with an aluminium bracket extension to fit on to one of the old coil fixings on the frame with another bracket underneath onto one the bolts where I've removed the front pair valve, tried to fit the exiisting fan but have given up until I have some evidence that it needs one.

I used one of the existing hoses ,left top,and purchased another 90 degree 25mm hose, bottom left and joined it, just near the crash bung, I beleive the VFR750 hose that could be used are no longer available unless second hand. It runs cool when on the move, heats up slowly in stop start traffic and cools down very quickly when on the move again, it encourages me to lane split even more than usual. I have a overflow tank in the future but then I will have to figure out what to do the air bleed tube from the thermostat housing, maybe the good folks here could help?

Gauge mount is just another peice of aluminium that fiits between the key/lock and the tope yoke, the steering lock to works to.

To get that gauge to work, which is a chinese koso copy took a whole lot of searching just to access and set functions and parameters, CBR forums and some youtube helped a lot, now almost everything works except.....the tachometer, still in negotion with supplier to give me another or give me my money back 

and the supplied instructions are not impossible, almost impossible, pretty hopeless really but you will earn you installation, you cannot use the existing speedo or tacho wires.

Chopping the existing loom takes some patience, a wiring diagram, mine could do with some improvement.

Search the build's sections and you will find much more in depth explaination's and ideas than mine

5a37a9b5c58e4_VFR2.thumb.jpg.d28fd73628a67aae0bae63c1aef3c7ce.jpg

Radiator mount top and bottom, radiator hose join, speedo drive front wheel, relocated R/R, homemade chain guard, wrapped headers, sebspeed's oil cooler

24.thumb.jpg.370a4dc28c836a9ffd83f4f185d67863.jpg

Cardboard gauge mount.

for the air bleed hose...

I noticed you've got an in line adaptor for the temp sensor on the right side hose.

when I used the TLR rad, I added an extra nipple to the bottom of the in line adapter and attached the hose there. Just a brass screw in (drill and tap) nipple.

And I used plastidip on my tank for a while too. After a trackday it looked exactly like yours.

halfrider, i ordered a vapor gauge a few days ago, and was contacted by trail tech, saying that their gauge wont work for the 98 vfr800. i'm waiting to hear back on if it will work with some work, or just plain will not work...

do you recommend the cheap chinese gauge you got? you said it's only about $30, right? 

also, i didnt notice until now- where did you put your coils?! i dont imagine leaving my coils completely exposed will be good for the bike. 

Hi,

Unfamiliar with Trail Tech Vapour gauge, Sebspeed is the man to ask, have a look at his 750 and latest 800 project, I have Trail Tech In-line temperature gauge, works a treat.

I am on my second chinese gauge, got my money back for the first thru paypal because I could never get the tacho to work.

The new one, of another supplier shows double the rpm, I suppose it's an improvement to the last one, but I'll be asking for another refund.... because it doesn't work as intended

and really I kinda know when when to shift, I can hear the valve bounce and limiter cut in, but they look fancy with red LED's following the needle, the idiot lights are easy to get to work and fuel gauge, speedo won't work of VFR wiring/pick-up so bracket and magent on front disc, hard to recommend but for the money, price of a real is Koso $400us.

A quick search will uncover all sorts of opinions, youtube is your friend.

I have the original coils under the tank in front of the airbox, extend some wires,but others here have ditched the big bulky coils and installed GSXR and CBR COPs, coil on plugs,  something I'll look into

Search Sebspeed, keef, paladinreed, vfraustin, apexandy, zefarton44, ioseb, lots of ifo and idea's from those guys.

I put some more pictures on an intro thread and a running cold thread.

Goodluck

thanks, i had never seen the coil on plug mod. that looks fairly straightforward, too. 

update on the vapor gauge- i had some difficulty getting a refund or cancellation at first. i bought the gauges through the walmart app, of all places. it was a decent deal on quality parts. amazon should worry just a little. walmart routed the transaction through another company, and i needed to contact them for a cancellation/ refund. this has been going on for about 3 days lol. i finally heard back that my order is cancelled. i'm hoping i get a full refund. 

i'm thinking of going with these gauges 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0716TGCRT/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0716TGCRT&pd_rd_wg=UwP15&pd_rd_r=5F0Q06C7AE4YN3DVBXS8&pd_rd_w=OJlDA

my girlfriend has a 2017 ssr razkull with the same style gauges on it stock. if i can install them decently, i'll be a happy guy. 

Looks a lot like Honda's cluster on the Grom and all of the new low end bikes including my CB500x.

I've noticed how much Walmart comes up when I search these days. They are in it to stay and if anyone can take on Amazon, it will be them.

I have a Trail Tech Vapor Stealth on my Suzuki DR650.  This gauge cluster rocks and is very high quality.  Unfortunately, as you have found out they are NOT designed for high revving motorcycles.  They are designed more for single cylinder or V-twin's that don't need to rev that high.  Plus, they do NOT have a gas gauge. 

Archived