More about 95 Gen 4 solo seat mode and money

• Member Contributer

It looks as if this bike will stay in the solo seat mode for a while, I really don't enjoy riding this bike other than solo and I initially really

didn't like the look of the cowl in place.  I think it is pretty nice now, tastes change over time.

I was going to have a friend of mine make a cowl bumper pad for it but, on a whim, called our local Corbin dealer today and the cowl bumper shown on the website is still available , in all fabrics and trims including a match for your existing Corbin if you have one for $50.00, a deal in my book. I ordered it and it is on its way.

http://www.corbin.com/honda/9496vfrgun.shtml

I like the handles so I cut them in this morning, a place to hang my Roof helmet and to grab for the centerstand and other things.

I have to wonder about the money on this though, I was so happy to get this bike for just over 2k and, in the last few weeks, between the Seb Cover, and 8 spoke 5.5 wheel, new SS brake line, LED lighting, high mount exhaust, and all the little bearings, adjustments, modifications, maintenance items, I am doubling the $$ on this bike.  I do love it however. I do realize that after all is done, when I go to sell this I won't get back hardly any of the improvement money yet I am oddly content with that.  That seems to be what happens on all my motorcycle deals.

DSC_1039.JPG

DSC_1040.JPG

DSC_1041.JPG

NEVER complain about the $$ you spend on something that gives you so much pleasure.  You can't put a price on that.  People spend $200/mo on a family plan for their Iphone use.  They spend $500-$600 on a new IPhone 7.  They spend $150/mo for cable TV (WTF).  Are they REALLY happier with their lives?  Hell no!  Most of them are annoyed.  

$200/mo x 12 = $2,400 a year!!!!   That's just for a Verizon Family Plan.  For that you get to read bad news all day long, see the endless Vanity on Facebook and Instagram, get annoying phone calls and text messages, etc.  Happy?  NOT!

You own a bike that you maybe spent $5k on.  Maybe $6k?  And it has the performance that will shame most high performance cars.  It has the fuel efficiency of a hybrid car.  It's more exciting than a trip to Disneyworld.  You see where I'm getting at here?  Put it all into perspective and you will see a tremendous amount of value on your bike ownership.  And your bike is 'purdy.  Looks great with that seat cowl and the backrest.  Looks very clean and slick.  Not to mention it makes you feel good riding it around doesn't it?  You can't say the same for a lot of things.  

Edited to add:  Even if you had an all new VFR800 or a CBR1000RR, how much more satisfaction will you get from them being newer and shinier and maybe faster?  How often do you get to enjoy the marginal satisfaction you get from newer, fancier machines, faster machines in relation to the higher $$ you paid for them and continue to pay for them in terms of insurance and registration?  There are many people who will look at your bike in envy because they don't have one or not even close to being able to ride a bike much less own a bike, and ride it with the freedom we all have living where we are (North America, Europe, Australie/NZ, etc.).

I agree with Rogue and will add that you NEVER sell a VFR that you have put that much into. Cover it, store it, take it out on nice days to show it off.

• Member Contributer

Well thanks Guys! I know we are the choir here. So you guys are great to reason with :>)

I have to say, over the years precious few things mean as much to me as my life on two wheels (my friend Tom Cutter from Rubber Chicken racing calls it "la moto vita")and I am always, always looking for the next ride while enjoying what I am riding currently.

As bicycle guys say, its all about "time behind bars".

And Sweep, I am still looking for the right 07 deal, a lot has to do with timing, right now (air conditioning) business is a little draggy but let it heat up in a couple of months

and I can reload money wise

And Rogue,  I am a second hand I5 phone guy on the Walmart straight talk plan for 45 month, I would have lots of trouble spending those big phone bucks and I haven't had television in 14 years, same page maybe?.

I cut the cord on my TV at home years ago but still very much hooked on Wi-Fi so I can stream movies, which I do enjoy.  The cable providers here are on to me and have been raising my rates every year.  It went from $50/mo to $75/mo in 2 years.  That annoys me.  

Also, I've resisted the temptation to upgrade my Iphone 5 for years and years until it died two months ago.  So I bit the bullet and bought an IPhone 7.  Pricey little bastard even though it's a "generation behind".  Is it better than the 5?  I can say for a fact it is ONLY marginally better.  Unfortunately, my wife and daughter are both addicted to theirs and so I pay the Family Plan.  Honestly...these companies figured out how to get people hooked on their product and convince them to a make payments every month, year after year.  I only have myself to blame.  

I'm guilty of being a materialistic fool and always longing for the latest and greatest.  I avoid going to the dealership and not even dare bat an eye on the latest Honda or Ducati, or Suzuki.  But whenever one of them releases a beautiful machine my desires just jump out.  The CB1000R and the new CBR1000RR are definitely not helping.  I know from the bottom of my heart that I would be pretty happy simply keeping what I have and making sure they're in tip top shape.  I sure as hell ain't going to suddenly get faster on a newer machine that's for sure!  So I try....TRY to be thankful for what I have every moment of every day.  We all have much to be thankful for.  Just living in the good ole' USA makes me very happy.  

For me.....

'93 750 with 24k on the clock: £1500

Total respray in white: £500

Sebring exhaust, fitting, valves checked, dyno time: £750(ish)

Further dyno time as I wasn't happy, oil and filter change: £300(ish)

Clear indicators: £150

Skidmarx double bubble: £50

Other little bits and pieces: £100(ish)

Maxton revalved front forks: £200(ish)

36-2 front wheel (and powdercoat): £170

Brembo calipers & brackets: £200(ish)

So I'm into it about £4000. So I certainly wouldn't sweat it too much! I did this over a course of a few years though so I haven't broken the bank in one go.

• Member Contributer

That is phenomenal looking! I have seen that a couple of times on this forum, very nicely done.

A question,  what is the "36-2" front wheel you listed?

• Member Contributer

You are well on your way, but a few things are missing still...   :goofy:

"Nicky Mod"

zij3.jpg.b7ea2e95e9c4da88fd9fa7b6e1eefd6b.jpg

and if you want to eat up some miles/vacation days...

P8100982.jpg.107f6bc6e680bc819dc49397897f8a3f.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nicky Mod? Don't know what it is ( yet) but if it can be done with a hacksaw I'll do that :)

I didn't realize you were the guy that notched your fairing to show the clutch window, I am very tempted to do that, after I get it on the bike I may just go for it.

Nice!

• Member Contributer

5a2d52dd1021f_NickyMod.JPG.c651797744c4435354141b84f8fa2541.JPG

RC51 owners call it that because Nicky Hayden had that on his (race) bike. Our RC36's speedo pickup is on the front sprocket, so it cannot be fully exposed.

I picked up a side panel cheap once that was damaged in the exact spot that I was going to cut :-)

15 hours ago, bykemike said:

That is phenomenal looking! I have seen that a couple of times on this forum, very nicely done.

A question,  what is the "36-2" front wheel you listed?

36-2 (94-97 year bikes) has floating front discs, something I needed to really make the brembo front calipers work (having two 'fixed' points in a braking system isn't good news). The 36-1 (90-93 year bikes) has solid discs.

36-2 front wheel (note the discs have bobbins between the solid centre and the floating outer)

37101461410_f0d27fd845_b.jpg

36-1 front wheel (no bobbins, simply bolts to the wheel with no floating parts)

38965152831_5f5256f389_k.jpg

190 will pinch as the rim is 5.5". Stick with a 180. Hate to repeat the obvious but the PR4 is an excellent tyre for the VFR, as are the Angel GT's

25122736818_bf0c417404_b.jpg

Look wide enough in a 180, eh?!

Another thing, when a 190 tire is fitted to a wheel designed for 180, the tire’s roundness is slightly exaggerated. That is the source of the slight degradation in handling.  That plus the tire is slightly taller, effectively raising the bike’s overall gearing so it will lose some acceleration.  Maybe you will feel it, maybe you won’t. There just isn’t anything to be gained. I will admit a 190 looks good, and high power bikes do need the extra contact patch.

• Member Contributer

I am happy with a 180, it's mainly for the look of the 8 spokes and the slightly wider tire. As soon as powdercoat boy tells me the rim is good ( it is) I am going to order a set of tires

You might get told a 170 is best, well...it's not. The 170 was the common most size back then, 180's were virtually unheard of.

You'd need a 6" rim for a 190. You could achieve that with a hub swap from a ducati/Triumph with one of their later bikes wider rear wheels - lot of effort!

Archived