Any Fried Stators Yet?

Grum

• Member Contributer

Hi All.

Don't want to state this too soon, but after 46,500k's and the bike now 3.5 years old, all appears to be working fine with the Electrics. Honda seem to have solved the crispy stator burn ups previous 6gen owners like myself had become so used to.

To my knowledge there has only been one known issue under warranty with an R/R that was causing slow battery drain and buzzing! (See "Parasitic Drain" thread by Jad2477).

I fitted a voltmeter to the bike a few months ago and have been very impressed at the voltage stability irrespective of load and rpm, a very constant 14.5volts, even at idle with the heated grips on level 5. Guess you can put this down to the new stator (made by Hitachi), very efficient new type R/R and the low current drawn by the new LED Headlights.

Just for Info.

Cheers.

WP_20171207_001.jpg

• Grum changed the title to Any Fried Stators Yet?
  • Member Contributer

No bad news here yet.  I've kept an ear on the tracks for related news and the only electrical gremlin I've heard about on the 8th gens was one person (here I think) with a regulator that apparently suffered some kind of semiconductor breakdown and was draining the battery while making faint squealing noises.

When I took long trips with my 4th gen I carried a spare!

So inquisitive minds now wonder if the Stator (may need rotor to accompany) and r/r from the 8th gen might be "graftable" onto the 6th gen as a definitive fix for 6th gen Kentucky fried stators? Crappy connectors aside.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Auspanglish said:

So inquisitive minds now wonder if the Stator (may need rotor to accompany) and r/r from the 8th gen might be "graftable" onto the 6th gen as a definitive fix for 6th gen Kentucky fried stators? Crappy connectors aside.

Nice thinking Auspanglish. But the way I see it, is that it ain't that easy. You would need wiring provision for the Magnetic Pole Sensor, would probably need to see if the 8th gen alternator cover would fit on the 6th gen as it needs to house the MP sensor. Also the ECM provides a regulated 5v supply to the MP sensor and the R/R also feeds diagnostic info to the ECM via the diagnostic buss line called K-Line. And as you've mentioned you could be up for a new Stator and possibly Rotor as well, not to mention potentially a non compatible 6 gen ECM.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi All.

Just discovered some interesting stuff regarding the 8th Gen Alternator Stator. It has designed Oil Cooling, something the 6gen lacked. Poor heat dissipation has been the killer for Stators.

Have a look at the Lubrication layouts for both 6 and 8 gens, notice the highlighted Stator Oil line for the 8gen. Along with the more efficient R/R, and the lighter electrical loads (LED Headlights) Honda hopefully have cured the dreaded crispy stator issues so many of us have experienced.

There must be many 8gen owners like me with 50,000k's plus and not had any Stator or R/R issues.

Cheers.  

6gen_Lubrication.jpg

8gen_Lubrication.jpg

Bastards

The hell I was put through due to the stator (and wiring) of the 6th gen.

Took em nigh on a dozen years to sort that. They should be sued. I should sue them.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Grum said:

Hi All.

Just discovered some interesting stuff regarding the 8th Gen Alternator Stator. It has designed Oil Cooling, something the 6gen lacked. Poor heat dissipation has been the killer for Stators.

Have a look at the Lubrication layouts for both 6 and 8 gens, notice the highlighted Stator Oil line for the 8gen. Along with the more efficient R/R, and the lighter electrical loads (LED Headlights) Honda hopefully have cured the dreaded crispy stator issues so many of us have experienced.

There must be many 8gen owners like me with 50,000k's plus and not had any Stator or R/R issues.

Cheers.  

6gen_Lubrication.jpg

8gen_Lubrication.jpg

Someone who actually reads a manual.  Boy am I impressed!!!  Mine is holding up a stack of crap on my desk.

So...  does this kind of answer any questions about the mystery bolt on the cover??

On 12/6/2017 at 8:20 PM, Grum said:

To my knowledge there has only been one known issue under warranty with an R/R that was causing slow battery drain and buzzing! (See "Parasitic Drain" thread by Jad2477).

Just for Info.

Cheers.

Well hell. Now I am a little concerned. My brand new eighth gen (2015) that I just rolled to 600 miles has a UHF buzz. I wonder if that is the cause then. 

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, Robborboy said:

Well hell. Now I am a little concerned. My brand new eighth gen (2015) that I just rolled to 600 miles has a UHF buzz. I wonder if that is the cause then. 

Hopefully it will be a warranty job.

Good luck.

• Forum CEO

I am not sure but if its like the 7th gen RR the thing is under the seat with fins sinking heat to the rear wheel well.  It has eyelet connectors on it instead of inline connectors.  Much improved over the 5th and 6th gen models.  The older ones had oil cooling too but no direct spray just a hole in the crankcase that allowed oil to flow in. So the bottom of the stator got cooked since the oil just sort of sat there and baked it rather then flowed over it and pulled heat off the coils.

• Member Contributer
On 4/9/2018 at 5:15 PM, Robborboy said:

Keep us posted and good luck.

Archived