Replace wheel bearings or no?

MooseMoose

• Member Contributer

Painting my wheels while the tires are off and while I upgrade my forks. Paint, not powder, so I don't think I HAVE to do the wheel bearings.

That said, should I do my wheel bearings?

25K miles. I don't recall anyone bitching about theirs wearing out fast or anything. I've heard lots of people did the headstock bearings at relatively low miles, though, so I thought I'd ask the crowd.

• Member Contributer

It's not conclusive,  but turning the bearing with a finger may reveal if there is any roughness, binding or play in the races.  With the wheel mounted on the axle,  trying to work it side to side can also reveal any play or clicking.    Riding in the rain will probably shorten their life.  They're not terribly expensive,  so if at all in doubt, changing them is cheap insurance.  

• Member Contributer

I agree with Cogswell, check them, if they feel notchy or otherwise less than smooth, change them while you're getting the wheel painted. Although I have found a few places to source good bearings for a good price, I have yet to find a good source for the seals, so OEM is what I would recommend.

For bearings, here is where I've sourced the last few sets I ordered.  http://www.123bearing.com/

The front wheel bearings for 5/6 Gens (for sure) are number: 6204

• Member Contributer

I ended up ordering a set of 6204s. I'll check the wheel when it comes back, but for $15 I'm fine having a spare set on hand. Even the Japanese name brands like Koyo are only $6 each.

Archived