Intro and Wheel Question

mountainslide

Hi All,

Been quietly lurking for some time and enjoying all the posts. Proud relatively new owner of a 2015 White DLX that I absolutely love. I knew I would as I had  99 before and regretted selling it the day I did about 9 years ago. Made quick work of some basic mods to the 2015 with, factory quick shift, TBR Exhaust, T-Rex sliders, Powerbronze tire hugger, Easigrips, Rapid Bike Racing Module. I also pulled the OE tires at first service and switched to the S21s which I liked a lot, unfortunately destroyed the rear by tagging a large piece of granite up at Carson Pass in the sierras. That resulted in a quick swap to a Q3 on the back which I like even better, super grippy and predictable. I like to lean and often ride with my 12 year old son on the back and he likes to lean too, which only weighing 100 lbs makes for an incredible riding buddy.

Now the question. When I destroyed the tire I put what I though to be insignificant flat spot in the rear wheel. After a hard run in the twisties dragging parts and pucks it became evident it is a bigger problem than I thought after a few slips leaning hard to the left only (which is where the flat spot is). I have searched and searched but can't seem to find any aftermarket (read I want lighter if I'm replacing) wheels for the VFR. Does anyone know of any options out there?

Cheers,

Brent in Bay Area CA.

2.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_5063.JPG

IMG_5775.JPG

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the forum and great pics.  To the best of my knowledge, there are no after-market wheels for the 8th gen, yet.

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! I know of no known lighter weight rear wheel replacement but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist but if your search hasn't turn up anything doubt my search would turn up anything.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

Does your kid scream at you through the helmet when doing them angles? :goofy:

Thanks everyone! Sorry for all the typos, that's what I get for posting from work when I should be working...

I agree with Rogue Biker, the wheels are beautiful, but If I have to plunk down almost $500 for just the replacement rear I'd be quick to explore lighter options if there are any.

Dutchy, only screams and hoots of joy at this point, he really loves riding and takes pride in the fact that we "use the whole tire" with him on board. By the way those top two photos were taken by him during that ride on my favorite stretch of twisties. Here's a shot of him looking over the top portion while having lunch and prepping for another lap or two and then another of me that shows the top intersection up to the left. We go up the new very smooth and windy section and then cool off coming down the older steep section and repeat. I need to get him proper riding pants but street gear is hard to come by so small.

Not sure if this link will work as I'm a newbie here but will give it a try. Vid is a little shaky but shows the bottom half of the way up, leaning really starts at 50 sec. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wdLDBzqPk6AIjFbw1 

IMG_5782.JPG

VFR Crop1.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, mountainslide said:

Not sure if this link will work as I'm a newbie here but will give it a try. Vid is a little shaky but shows the bottom half of the way up, leaning really starts at 50 sec. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wdLDBzqPk6AIjFbw1 

Welcome and great vid!  You had some of the best lean angles I've seen for an 8th gen since Smoke's vid - I'll link his vid below in case you haven't seen it.  To answer your question, I've never seen an 8th gen with an aftermarket wheel.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, mountainslide said:

I need to get him proper riding pants but street gear is hard to come by so small.

Some MX pants and boots are better than jeans also strap on  Knee and shin guards are inexpensive. I use then to commute in my work cloths.

• Member Contributer

More and more clothing manufacturers are starting to join in on the riding denim pants. These are usually Kevlar lined or the fabric is infused with similar fibers giving the clothing higher strength and longer “slide” time. Can’t say that I’ve seen children sizes but perhaps these pants can be found in smaller adult sizes and might be easier to alter than Leathers or textile riding pants. Although jacket sizes might be a little tougher, perhaps some women’s jackets might fit better. Finding anything other than pink was hard at one time, but I am seeing more traditional “men’s”colors being made for women now. I just bought my wife a Dainese textile jacket on closeout, it’s all black, has shoulder, elbow/forearm armor and a pocket for a back protector, cost me less than $160.00 too.

• Member Contributer

A few years ago the CB1000R rear was stupid inexpensive and a direct bolt on for earlier 4 lug VFRs. The new CB1000R now has a 5 lug and a pretty cool look (IMO). 

Could be worth looking into. 

• Member Contributer

You should be able to get armoured Kevlar jeans in a small ladies size to fit the lad, Red Route do some very small sizes

There are also kids gloves and jackets in most online stores, both vital IMHO

When my grandson comes out on the bike with me he always had the same level of protective gear as me, including leathers now he's a bit bigger

Alpinestars do kids size boots to, another important bit of clothing 

Try Craigslist and eBay ..... Plus 'it's the season to be giving

Thanks for all the input and feedback everyone. My son has all gear covered except good pants, which I'll resolve shortly thanks to some good tips.

Gator Greg, thanks for the link to Smokes vid, great session! Been eyeing a few track day options out here and will be sure to document a few laps.

Archived