Can I powder coat this without damage?

Willy

• Member Contributer

I'm in process of having some parts like wheels powder coated. I'd like to powder coat this right hand side case. I'm wondering about the rubber seal around the glass oil level sight. Will the oven ruin the seal? I'm sure someone has powder coated this case cover before?

Advice appreciated!

DSCN1287.thumb.JPG.42cc1fbae89413ffeffd5dfacbe2ec93.JPG

• Member Contributer

ok  was afraid that.

I'm looking at the service manual and parts breakdowns. I'm not finding any part numbers or info on the rubber seal. It appears to not be a "serviceable" item. So if pull it out - then maybe I'm stuck with a bad case not being able to reinstall with a new seal.

I thought I saw some thread at one time on VFRD where some replaced a damaged sight window. Not finding it.

Other option is to leave it OEM color for now.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Willy said:

ok  was afraid that.

I'm looking at the service manual and parts breakdowns. I'm not finding any part numbers or info on the rubber seal. It appears to not be a "serviceable" item. So if pull it out - then maybe I'm stuck with a bad case not being able to reinstall with a new seal.

I thought I saw some thread at one time on VFRD where some replaced a damaged sight window. Not finding it.

Other option is to leave it OEM color for now.

Check with Sebspeed, as he does his clear clutch window with these side cases and often has them powder coated for buyers. Speaking of which, ever consider doing the clear clutch window...:wink:

• Member Contributer

I'll PM SebSpeed and get his advice. I've not considered the Sebspeed cover but like the way they look. Certainly and option.

• Member Contributer

Howdy, exchanged info with SebSpeed and with his advice I was able to pop the oil level sight window out of the case cover. Cover will now go in for powder coating to match rest of items being coated. So thanks to all for the advice! Especially Seb!

DSCN1287.JPG

• Member Contributer

What does "popping it out" entail?  I have never looked very closely at mine, but there must be a seal of some sort?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

To remove the sight glass window, I placed the side cover flat surface down on the edge of my workbench. Then placed a large socket on top of the exposed glass area - largest socket that will fit inside the case recess and flat against the glass (I think I used an 18mm). Then I used a large wood clamp to apply pressure, squeezing the sight glass toward the work bench. It took a fair amount of pressure - I applied it slowly and evenly as possible. At first there was no noticeable movement. I took the clamp off a few times to check to see if I was getting anywhere. Third or fourth attempt it literally "popped" out. And yes it has a rubber seal surrounding the glass assembly. Its more stout than I expected. Picture below (sorry a bit fuzzy). As for reassembly I've been advised to apply a light coating of oil around the seal and case and press back in. I'll know in a few weeks when the side case comes back from powder coating. 

DSCN1309.thumb.JPG.3f9ea71ca0d677ffb7a7160c9377a602.JPG

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, Willy said:

To remove the sight glass window, I placed the side cover flat surface down on the edge of my workbench. Then placed a large socket on top of the exposed glass area - largest socket that will fit inside the case recess and flat against the glass (I think I used an 18mm). Then I used a large wood clamp to apply pressure, squeezing the sight glass toward the work bench. It took a fair amount of pressure - I applied it slowly and evenly as possible. At first there was no noticeable movement. I took the clamp off a few times to check to see if I was getting anywhere. Third or fourth attempt it literally "popped" out. And yes it has a rubber seal surrounding the glass assembly. Its more stout than I expected. Picture below (sorry a bit fuzzy). As for reassembly I've been advised to apply a light coating of oil around the seal and case and press back in. I'll know in a few weeks when the side case comes back from powder coating. 

DSCN1309.thumb.JPG.3f9ea71ca0d677ffb7a7160c9377a602.JPG

Excellent, thanks.

Ciao,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks for the information sharing.  I am literally just now getting around to powder-coating my stuff now and was wondering how to do this without damaging the parts.  Needed to figure out the clear window issue before I could drop off parts for coating.

Your post will help!

• Member Contributer

Thumbs... sorry I just noticed your post....   Yes, The window presses back in easily. Just coat the rubber grommet/gasket and press it in slowly with a clamp. No sweat. 

Q-Dawg - glad to return the favor - VFRD has given me more than help than I can ever repay....

Cheers!

Archived