98-2001 5th gen Rearset adapters - Sebspeed Customs

SEBSPEED

Question

Hey all, this has been in the works for a bit and I'm finally ready to make an initial run available.

I developed this rearset adapter while building a custom '99. I had a set of CBR929/954RR Sato brand rearsets on hand, and so developed the adapters around them. I have designed them to place a racing-style 954RR rearset in the oem VFR peg position at the lowest, most forward position when the new rearsets are installed in the CBR orientation. This allows track or race style "up & back" adjustment. Because of the 2-pc design of most racing rearsets, the plates can also be flipped Left to Right to allow the pegs to be positioned lower than stock VFR position.

Can be set up for Standard or GP style reverse shifting 

I am selling these adapters as a kit at a pre-order price of $140 for the 1st 10 orders. All orders beyond the 1st 10 will be $150.

What you receive in the kit:

- 1 pair billet 6061-T6 aluminum adapter plates in Bare Bright or Satin Brushed finish (sorry, no anodize option at this time)

- 1 set of 6061-T6 spacers

- stainless steel hardware

To complete this modification to your bike, you will also need to purchase an oem or aftermarket set of rearsets made to fit a 00-2003 CBR929RR or 954RR (fit is the same). I chose to leave this option to the end user rather than A) maintain an inventory and B) limit style and selection. The world is your oyster folks, there are a great many options out there for CBR sets!

There ARE a couple caveats, as with any custom installation:

- depending on your choice of aftermarket set, you may need to use a pressure style brake switch rather than your oem switch

- the stock heat shield is deleted

- extreme peg position adjustments may require adjustment of the brake line(s) and/or brake line replacement

- new levels of comfort and/or on-track prowess may cause untold amounts of envy from other VFR riders...

20171123_115414_zpszo9kjwcc.jpg

20171123_115358_zpsnbnqqlax.jpg

20171123_162414_zpsvy1tiu5g.jpg

20170529_212752_zpsbkiqzs07.jpg

IMG_20170707_192857_887_zpsvktzi44u.jpg

I will accept pre-orders as defined by a response to this posted list in combination with 50% down payment via paypal.

As with my clutch cover buy, I'm kicking back $5 of each pre-order to VFRD!

• Answers 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, I too have been wondering what the redo will be on the MC. by looking at yours,  as I've been working with then other side , I see a new bracket lining up the MC close to what it was before.  Sebastien ???    BTW who polished those? ;)  Nice,  do you plan on using the heel guards?

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, RVFR said:

Yup, I too have been wondering what the redo will be on the MC. by looking at yours,  as I've been working with then other side , I see a new bracket lining up the MC close to what it was before.  Sebastien ???    BTW who polished those? ;)  Nice,  do you plan on using the heel guards?

If I can fit the heel guards I plan to keep them. As far as who polished them, this is how they came when I bought them.

Ah, that makes sense.   Are those Sato or Arata ?    The only request i have in this,,  if....... I'd like to get the super bike schools version of what peg they add to the bmw1000 they use. As I prefer the peg to have the ability to fold.

• Member Contributer

Just cheap Chinese copies, they look well built for the AU$122 that they cost me.

The non folding pegs are my only concern, and I will swap them if I can get something that folds to fit.

• Member Contributer
On 12/31/2017 at 9:51 PM, VFROZ said:

Just cheap Chinese copies, they look well built for the AU$122 that they cost me.

The non folding pegs are my only concern, and I will swap them if I can get something that folds to fit.

They copied a good set for sure Sato's.

• Member Contributer

I can't believe I'm the first one to finish this as I only got them on Sunday, all installed now and very happy with it.

I'd like to give a bit of feed back.

Sebs items are first class and fit like they were made to measure :wink:

I bought a set of Sato rear set copies from China, AU$122 delivered.

At first I was a bit worried the quality was going to be normal Chinese.

I'm more then happy with them as well. Quality of finish and fit is first class.

A few observations on the finish product:

I has trouble finding a socket that would fit right side swing arm pivot bolt nut inside Sebs adapter.

I have a couple, and bought another six sided one that was very thin, but no luck. Nothing I tried would fit.

As it was, the nut grabbed the adapter and I managed to torque the bolt from the other side without using anything on the nut. It just didn't spin.

May be 1mm more clearence on the next run would be an idea Seb.

The solid footpegs and the new set up has a suprising advantage on my bike, no more vibrations on my feet.

I've always had vibrating foot pegs at anything over 6500rpm, tried many things to get rid of it, with very minimal success.

The new set up is either more ridgid, or the harmonics are kept under check, whatever it is I no longer get tingly feet.

The other advantage is a shorter throw of the gear lever. This was a surprise and makes gear changing better and faster.

I've set mine up on the lowest position on the lever, and together with the longer throw on the gear shaft rod makes for more leverage and a shorter throw of the gear lever.

IMG_E3738.JPG

On the down side is the brake pedal.

I've had a CBR250RR rear mater, which has the same shaft length as the VFR, this is a touch short so the pedal sits a bit low for my taste and I don't have any more adjustment.

If you've installed a CBR600RR rear master with the longer shaft and haven't cut it it should be fine.

I also don't like how much movement there is on the rear brake pedal.

I will be making my own link pin for the rear set to remedy this.

I will also need to get a new braided brake line made, as the original doesn't sit well, this was always my plan anyway.

The other issue, while not a problem is reaching the side stand, it was an automatic movement from me before without looking where it was.

Now the new gear shaft linkage is in the way, and leaves only a bit of the side stand lever exposed to grab with your foot.

Not a problem, but something I'll have to get used to.

IMG_E3741.JPG

All in all a great modification IMHO.

And for your information, I've set my pegs a bit higher and a bit further back than standard, I love it but I will be trying a few different set ups.

Well done Seb, very happy with end product for the price.

IMG_E3761.JPG

IMG_E3757.JPG

• Member Contributer

The other thing I forgot to mention is the delete of the original rear brake switch.

There is nowhere to mount it.

My AU$122 rear sets came with a pressure switch included. What a bargain.

The up side was that I didn't need to cut or solder anything, the cable was the right length and the terminals the right type to plug straight in the original connector.

Now to paint my new 8 spoker. That should finish it off nicely.

• Member Contributer

Nice work OZ! With family obligations and catching the inevitable cold last week, it has hindered my progress. I have a few ideas of how I might make the brake side of things work but I have not been able to get in and do measurements and determine how exactly I want to work that part out.

Very nice,   yea me too, work been, then add in lousy weather which tends to damper the bike spirits a bit,  so yea my set is just sitting here.  Though that doesn't mean I'm not thinking whats the to do.  One thing is as I'm a fan of the folding foot pegs. tried a set of 954 sets and it's meh, then tried my sons  china vortex set for seeing whats what  man is the pivots sloppy Hm?? I Then I just might spring for those the the super bike school foot pegs they use on their BMWs,  pretty trick if you ask me. Then there's the, like you, rear brake deal. should be fun when I get to it.  Good on you to jump on this,   thanks for sharing your thoughts  on things to look out for. As yea,  another concern as OCD it is,  is those swing arm nuts now that you see em,  I see something different. 

I'm definitely going to go this route, but I'll be taking my centerstand off, even though it's so convenient, with my feet up higher, it will be a liability. It already is with the stock footpeg position.

• Member Contributer

I’m playing with a proof of concept for maintaining the linked brake setup and now just waiting for the short hose to arrive. With my corner working, adventure bike tinkering and riding, I haven’t made much progress but I will for sure post pics once I’m finished.

• Member Contributer
On 1/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, SEBSPEED said:

2 sets left!

Er, when's the next run?

Cheers,

Team,

Alas, I have had to cancel my project and the VFR has now been sold. This has left me with a set of Seb's wonderful 5th gen rearset adapters brand new, still in the box. They cost me $167 which equates to £120. I live in Lincoln, UK and happy to pay P&P for shipment within the UK if there is any interest. (would be happy to discuss if shipment required overseas from the UK.)

As an aside, I now have my donor bike for sale which is a lovely CBR 954 trackbike with new forks, mint swinger, wheels, calipers, shock and brand new rearsets.  I wish to sell as a complete unit either as it stands now or, because it has a V5, my intention is to put a rear light, indicators, horn and brake switches to achieve a daytime MOT then move it on.

Skiddy

• Member Contributer

Well, I was sidelined a little bit on the rearsets by getting some stainless lines installed and rebuilding all the calipers on my VFR.  I think I may have a solution to make these rearsets work with linked brakes (it seems like a lot of guys doing this are unlinked.)

2018-03-12.jpg.5656677e76db898286fd5611a42388a3.jpg

As you can see here the hard line goes right into the MC.  I really don't want to bend it to get it to line up with the mounting point on the 929/959 rear set, as it risks kinking the hard line.  So, my plan is to trim back the hard line a bit, refinish the end and put in another piece from the HEL Stainless kit that seems to be exactly the fitting needed.

2018-03-121.jpg.4b829f845b1cf154f7d12b193f51142d.jpg

The middle line there is 8" long, and will be able to transition from the trimmed hard line to a stainless, and then tie in with a double banjo pressure switch.  Seems like the best solution!  Also planning on going to a HRC tube type reservoir to eliminate some more bulk.

Seb, any thoughts on this setup, or did you think about this at all in your development??

Ordering up another line, and I'll let you guys know how I make out.

OK Seb, thank you for that suggestion, I didn't want to step on your toes but if you have potential customers for your remaining sets then that makes great sense..

Skiddy

Archived