The 4 cheap mods

Rodzone

I have the 2010 800 VTEC and did the flapper solenoid disconnect, snorkel removal, PAIR plug separated and sensor plug apart and putting the resistors in.  This is a bike which only has 1200 kilometres on it.

I thought I noticed some rideability improvement with the mods, just on a short test ride. 

Reversed the first three, on some advice about the solenoid from Rogue Biker and a bit more reading, as it is all easy work and convinced myself there was an improvement in ride smoothness and throttle control with just with the resistors across the O2 plugs.  Then for a while I wondered if it was because I took a bit of excess slack out of the throttle cable when I had the tank up or maybe I was paying more attention to the speedo.

So I went for a good 100 kilometre blast around the country backroads with a group of guys.  

The dreaded FI light came up after about 80kilometres!

Got home and read up on the possible causes and what to do and figured from the flashing sequence that it was a code 23 O2 problem, so out with the tools and look at the sensor plugs to see if a resistor had come loose.  Side panel off, lo and behold, a carboned up resistor and a bit of melting on the electrical connector plug.  Cleaned it out and joined it up and the light went right away, no resetting or anything required.  Now I carefully followed the directions for installing the resistors and I'm positive I got it right.  I'm a careful guy and I also read that if you accidentally wired the wrong pin it would still work to defeat the FI light. 

Something failed and melting is only a short stop before smoke and flames.

Anyone else had this problem?

I know you mentioned that you're not sure if you were going to keep this bike so on the fence about a Power Commander upgrade.  My PC came with an O2 sensor "Plug", which does the same thing as your resistor except it completely plugs into the 02 sensor terminal to close it off.  Perhaps someone has a spare plug like that to give to you in Australia?  

Try this on your bike.  Re-fit the 02 sensor.  Now ride the bike on a long flat road, take it to top gear, maybe at 100 kph.  Hold it there.  See what happens...I'll bet the bike will slow down as the stock ECM forces the fuel injectors to lean the mixture out and get it to run at Stoichiometric mode of 14:1 ratio.  That's super lean.  Now keep the 02 connected, ride the bike in a parking lot in 1st or 2nd gear, as slow as you can go without touching the clutch.  See if you can hold a steady speed.  LOL!  Last exercise.  Hold 3rd gear and gradually accelerate to around 5.7k RPM, hold it there with as little throttle as possible, now open the throttle gradually to get to VTEC...I'll bet the bike will slow a bit first, then surge as it hits VTEC.  Once again that emissions programming at play.

Do all the above with the 02 sensor disconnected.  You will notice a significant improvement in the way the engine responds to your throttle commands.

Ordered the plugs from UK so just have to wait and give it another go.  I assume the resistor thing isn't a good idea based on my experience.  Losing a bike in a fire for the sake of $32 makes no sense.

• Member Contributer

Resistors come in a variety of power ratings. Its possible the resistors used were not up to the wattage subjected. Usually a burned resistor is due to being subjected to more power than it was rated for. Just a thought....  I'm no expert...  

I had a PC V + Autotune on my last VFR and the resistor plugs that came with that set up worked well. So hopefully that solves the issue,.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

That's your problem

The correct value is 330 ohm.   1 Watt is good, but 330 ohm.

By having a 33ohm you're dumping a hell of a lot more current to ground, which is what makes the resistor hot. In fact, 13.5 volts across 33 ohms is a touch over 5 watts, which is certainly going to burn up a 1 watt resistor in a very short time.

330 ohm, which is the correct value, is only going to be about 40mA (as opposed to 400mA with a 33 ohm) and about a half a watt, so it'll run a LOT cooler.  Also a hell of a lot less strain on your electrical system.

You have identified the problem.  I checked what I asked for - 330 ohm - and the packet which was in my rubbish bin - 33 ohm!  It didn't say it on the packet but an internet search showed part RR2538 is indeed 33 ohm.  Now I'm waiting for the proper plugs I ordered from the UK.

Went for the first ride after putting the O2 plugs back.. Now my speedo is all over the place just giving random false readings until the bike has warmed up after about 10kms and then it's back to normal display for the rest of the day instead of flashing all over the place.  Did the same thing two days in a row.  Battery is brand new and charging correctly.

Have I cooked something?  Will eliminators put it back to normal.  Any harm in trying?

BTW speedo is reading 5kmh wrong.. Reading 100 instead of a true 95.  Probably normal I guess.

• Member Contributer

The speedo sensor plug is in the same boot as the O2 sensor plugs.

Suggest you take a look and check the connectors etc.

Might be worthwhile spraying them with contact cleaner.

• Member Contributer

Is the speedo sensor correctly sat on the front spoket nut? If it isn’t, it may be slipping giving you false readings. If this is the case you will need to buy a new adaptor as they are plastic and if not seated right would have burred round instead of a hex nut shape.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Marooncobra said:

Is the speedo sensor correctly sat on the front spoket nut? If it isn’t, it may be slipping giving you false readings. If this is the case you will need to buy a new adaptor as they are plastic and if not seated right would have burred round instead of a hex nut shape.

I had this on my 08 Vtec a few years ago. I'd replaced the c&s and not sat the sensor onto the front sprocket nut carefully enough and as Maroony says above, it got chewed and had to be replaced. Worth a check.

And yes, the speedo will be out of course. Varies across the speed range but 5-10% is close enough.

Need some more help and ideas!

Went for the first ride after putting the eliminators back in, checking the speed sensor (seems normal) and cleaning the connectors with electrical solvent cleaner.

Speedo is now sitting on 0 reading with a constant fairly dull red warning light (comes on after riding for a couple of hundred metres) but no codes happening.  When the bike has warmed up to 80 degrees centigrade, say after about 10kms, it reads normally.

Last two rides it was throwing up all sorts of random speeds until the temp got up and then going back to normal display for the rest of the day instead of flashing all over the place.

The new O2 elim resistors is doing their job with no error codes just slightly smoother ride sitting on 3000 rpm and up.

This all started when I cooked one of the wrong resistors.  Where can I look next?

• Member Contributer
On 5 December 2017 at 12:58 PM, Rodzone said:

Need some more help and ideas!

Went for the first ride after putting the eliminators back in, checking the speed sensor (seems normal) and cleaning the connectors with electrical solvent cleaner.

Speedo is now sitting on 0 reading with a constant fairly dull red warning light (comes on after riding for a couple of hundred metres) but no codes happening.  When the bike has warmed up to 80 degrees centigrade, say after about 10kms, it reads normally.

Last two rides it was throwing up all sorts of random speeds until the temp got up and then going back to normal display for the rest of the day instead of flashing all over the place.

The new O2 elim resistors is doing their job with no error codes just slightly smoother ride sitting on 3000 rpm and up.

This all started when I cooked one of the wrong resistors.  Where can I look next?

Hi Rodzone.

Sorry to say but it sounds a bit scary, with the 33ohm Resistors where 330ohm should be. The Heated O2 Sensor seem to be current controlled by the ECM. Just hope you haven't partially fried the internals of the ECM!!!

Good luck, keep us informed on what the Honda dealership comes up with.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived