Weak Starter

mmanx69

Just sold my '99 VFR to someone (still have my '98) the bike was always perfect for me except one voltage regulator failure replaced with a Rick's unit.  New owner says lights come on strong but starter won't engage.  Just we click or weak whining sound.  I suspect bad voltage to the starter but could be bad solenoid.  Any ideas out there.  He thinks I sold him a bad bike.  

Hard to imagine owning an older bike and not owning a voltmeter and a battery charger.  Have him check the battery voltage, charge the battery, jump the battery from a car... 

The solenoid can be jumpered as a test but I'd be afraid the buyer would turn that into a disaster.  Sounds like they do not have a lot of experience solving the problems associated with a 20 year old motorcycle.

Thanks.  I concur.  I just don't have the time to go sort it out with the holiday, etc.  I already suggested all those things.  Don't know what he has tried.

• Member Contributer

My betting money would be on a battery that needs to be replaced. Will have enough current flow to light the lights, but not enough to spin the starter. A jumper cable would be the first thing to try, but speaking from personal experience if the battery has high internal resistance this will sometimes interfere, so best to take the bike battery out of the circuit e.g. remove the positive cable from the terminal.

Archived