Austin MotoGP 2018

lazyeye

• Member Contributer

I went in 2014 on general admission tickets and had a great experience. You can easily walk the circumference of the track during the sessions and the view from the hill at turn one is excellent.

Try the tamales if the guy is still there!

Funny you should ask...I just got the pricing via email today.  3 day General Admission is $89, great grandstand seats $189, and VIP paddock hospitality $999.  My wife and I went the past 3 years, and always had a great time.  The whole weekend is like an amusement park for motorcycle enthusiasts.  Gear vendors selling wares, food and drink for all tastes, and manufacturers giving demo rides; what's not to love?  We've always forked over the bucks for pretty good grandstand seats, but I would still love it just getting general admission tickets and walking the circuit.  We pretty much did that all weekend anyway except for the GP race on Sunday.  There are huge TVs all over the place that give you the roving view of the whole track, so anywhere is good.  I would definitely suggest taking the bike as the parking is free and close to the entrance gates.  They also have free, secure gear check so you won't have to carry the helmet all day. 

COA 2018.pdf

Definitely ride the bike and avoid the 10-mile hike and parking fees. You also see some cool stuff walking in. Among some pretty cool custom builds, I saw two Motuses and a few classics.

I went in 2015 and 2017, GA both times and was just fine with it. I wanted to get a paddock pass and try to get autographs this year, but I only ended up going on Sunday, so wouldn't have been able to anyways. I think they're around $250. Sunday, I stayed after the MGP race and watched MA Superbike race two. Besides showing support for MA, this had the added benefit of the facility pretty much clearing out, so it wasn't too bad trying to get out, and I was able to walk around Honda's and Dainese's tents without a crowd. Others had packed up by the time I got over.

I watched from in front of the grandstands in T1 and in area straight past the food and bathrooms in T-16/17. I've never even seen the back half of the track. I like T1 for the MGP race because you can watch the start and see just how fast those bikes really are coming down the straight. It all gets crowded for the MotoGP race, so pick yourself a spot a few minutes early and plop down. T1 is also good because you're sitting on a pretty steep hill, so when someone inevitably comes and sits right in front of you, you still have a good view. All of the other races will have plenty of breathing room.

Bring money if you want gear, there are some pretty good deal all weekend. I was very tempted by a Bell helmet and Dainese jacket.

I stayed in Austin both times, at the University Super 8. Friendly enough, lots of bikes to look at in the parking lot, and pretty clean, but this year, I returned home with bed bugs and probably won't ever chance that again. Book early, I'd imagine the convenient places go quickly. I booked in January both times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Get a GA ticket, you'll be fine. Unless you can't walk far you'll be able to hike the track on Saturday qualifying and then know where you want to sit on Sunday.

Having attended motogp at Laguna Seca and Indy multiple times I went to COTA for the first time this past April and really enjoyed it. I suggest a spot on the grass overlooking turns 4 - 10. You can see a bunch of action and still catch the pack hitting the ridiculously long back straight.

Don't believe anything you hear about crowds. The great thing about motogp and WSBK in the U.S. is access, these races are just not crowded. I've spent 10 minutes talking to Ben Spies and his mom in the Indy airport, high-fiving Johnny Rea, talking tech with Kevin Cameron, and watching Rossi blast out of a corner from 10 feet away. About 70% of the ticket holders wouldn't recognize these guys, and you will.

So, the only negatives are 1) Marquez will win, again, and  2) 21 turns are way, way too many. Have fun!

IMG_2947.JPG

• Member Contributer

how long does the circuit have the race for?,I thought things were 'difficult' there and the future was looking dodgy as it is on our bucket list for races to see, have done Silverstone three times,Catalunia,and Misano all great circuits and will be well pissed off if COTA loses the race before we manage to get there

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

So, the only negatives are 1) Marquez will win, again, and  2) 21 turns are way, way too many. Have fun!

I'm just waiting for someone to unseat him from the throne. Miller, Zarco, Vinalez, one of them will be the next champion. Ducati probably won't be it, that pretty much leaves Yamaha to get their stuff together to give Honda a real challenge. 

7 hours ago, scottbott said:

how long does the circuit have the race for?,I thought things were 'difficult' there and the future was looking dodgy 

Lets hope "a while longer". If we support it maybe Dorna will keep it there? I mean, they've kept racing a other old tracks like Jerez, Brno, and Silverstone even though the conditions are sub optimal. Financially I don't know how COTA is doing. Looks like they have a full calendar.

I know it's still expensive as shit to ride there. I could get a new one-piece leather suit for less than one track day.

The crowd thing is relative. I hate all crowds period. It might be useful to know, though, that Sunday at 1:00, you're not going to be able to stroll around and spread out like you had been doing all weekend before then.

Oh, yeah, sitting on all the new Ducatis, Yamahas, and Hondas might make you want a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Archived