6th Gen Refresh

Willy

• Member Contributer

Thanks Didit. I have the SumSum dates on my calendar and hope to join the fun. Cheers!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

OK guys need some advice on the rear shock.

I am replacing the rear with a new unit from DMR. He does nice work. Picture of old and new below. I have the shock mounted. All good.

Question is.....  Where is best place to mount the remote reservoir? I have the large hose clamp and the rubber backstop. I assume it attaches to the sub-frame. Either side? Does anyone have any pictures they can share so I can see how you did this?

THX!

DSCN1338.thumb.JPG.5f7d648466929a373f44e462efe86e11.JPG

DSCN1339.thumb.JPG.83c2d4f495af2ea0a913f42f2e52adb3.JPG

DSCN1340.thumb.JPG.3f27bfc6e92d0027eb410a70320ff4ff.JPG

• Member Contributer

I was pulling a mounting photo for the reservoir, but  didit did it first. I put my reservoir in the same place. I believe that is the 95% standard location for the DMR reservoir. I have seen other mounts here at VFRD

For instance, 3dcycle went this direction:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/84826-my-07rwb-projectbuild/&page=4&tab=comments#comment-1056364 

Most any mount location other than the usual would require a longer line than the one DMR provides by default.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for confirming the location for me. And you're correct that feed line is the limiter. I'm not going to use the rear pegs and may try to fab a bracket off that mounting post on the sub-frame We'll see. Will post that up if I go that way.

I was able to get the seat pan in (it should be called the seat PAIN as it took me an hour to thread it back into place). The rear harness and seat lock installed. Rear cowl and tail light polished up and installed.

DSCN1341.thumb.JPG.2b3c9327bed463e78f474599fd9b79fd.JPG

I ordered LED replacement bulbs. The running and brake light bulbs fit. The turn signal bulbs were too long and would not fit into the housing. I measured prior to ordering and knew it would be close. Unfortunately just a bit too long.  Does anyone have a source for yellow LED replacements that will fit in the housing?

Also the prior owner butchered the rear fender in an attempt to eliminate it. I just priced a replacement...  $56. For now I'll use the one I have. I like a full fender and reflectors and at some point will replace it. I'll have a look at eBay.

Now to focus on the upper cooling plumbing so I can get the throttle body back on..... 

Thank to you guys I'm enjoying this as much as riding....  almost!

• Member Contributer

Urban, THANK YOU! 

I'm wrapping up the cooling system now and looking at a cigar that has my name on it. I'll have a look at this source and see what I can find that will fit. Thanks for sending this over.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, Urbanengineer said:

These are some developed very recently. Output shots are pretty impressive.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/led-bulbs/exterior-interior-bulbs/7440-profile-peak-led-bulbs.html

Urban, I wound up using Superbright LEDs......https://www.superbrightleds.com/

They had a good selection and prices, and their website made it easier to find the correct replacement bulb. 

Thanks again!

• Member Contributer

Well all the cooling lines are replaced along with O-rings, thermostat, and a quick water pump inspection. All seems in good order and ready for some coolant. 

DSCN1342.thumb.JPG.930f640968921f2a2941998f9458e2d5.JPG

It's ready for the rebuilt throttle body to go back on. Let's hope we find a place for all the loose vacuum lines.....  :-)

After that, the rear CCT (still waiting for that part to arrive). Then these will go on.....  Then the heat shield.

DSCN1347.thumb.JPG.a252f717c40bbbea99e756143f7c6815.JPG

Then time to rebuild the front calipers.... Using EBC pads....

DSCN1346.thumb.JPG.5510744dde204db1b76644a39d8863c2.JPG

I need to buy a micrometer to measure the rotor thickness. There is a distinct "lip" around the perimeter edge of both rotors, which tells me they are pretty far gone. Those puppies are expensive. Still hoping to use the old pair. We'll see. 

Still waiting on powder coating to be completed. They have my front fork lowers, which I need to get the front end back in order. 

So far  - all is good. Appreciate all the advice thus far.  Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Not in order.....

Cooling - Check!

Stator and R/R - Check!

Rear swing arm - Check!

Rear shock- - Check!

Front CCT - Check!

Rear caliper - Check!

Pair valve removal - Check!

Throttle body rebuild - Check!

Sub-frame painted - Check!

The throttle body went on with no trouble other than checking to be sure I had every connector and plumbing properly routed. I should have taken more detailed pictures as it would have made routing lines easier. 

I also shaped a piece of aluminum strap to fasten the rear shock reservoir to the mounting post for the left passenger foot peg. Nice and solid now.

Rear CCT arrived today. Pick up tomorrow and maybe get that installed this weekend. 

Awaiting powder coat..... (been two weeks now..... patience)

Front fork lowers, handle bars, right side case, heat shield, f&r wheels, rear sets, pedals, top triple clamp, etc. Once these are back I can work my way through the assembly instructions for the DMR fork cartridges, get the front end set up, and then start working on the upper cowl and handle bar controls and switches.  New Michelin PR4's awaiting. Front calipers need to be reworked as well. The pads are almost paper thin! The list is definitely getting shorter. 

Having fun.....    Thanks for all the help.....DSCN1352.thumb.JPG.80c8b31383bf8f29dfcef91e3ce722e1.JPG

DSCN1355.thumb.JPG.e2af03921be87c36f3b4260f1dfb395b.JPG

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

I'm also considering a new gas cap...  this one....  

It has no vent in the cap itself. I read a thread a week ago where one of our riders had an issue with a tank vent line. Do I need a cap that vents? Or has anyone used a cap like this one?

DSCN1357.thumb.JPG.8f077680e75b18236f592e310459c976.JPG

• Member Contributer

Now I know why you're a self-proclaimed menace to society... stirring it up. Of course I've considered an 8 spoke....    have to draw the line somewhere and leave something to be upgraded in refresh 2.0...   :-)

Picked up my components from powder coat today. Turned out nice. I'll post some pics tomorrow as time permits. I think I've chosen the same silver gray that's on your bike Rogue. Steel gray wheels, right side cover, rear sets, handle bars and top bridge. Black forks and heat shield. I think I'm on the home stretch. 

And thanks for the 8-spoke encouragement.....  I'll have to start shopping eBay I guess....

• Member Contributer
On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:16 AM, Willy said:

I'm also considering a new gas cap...  this one....  

It has no vent in the cap itself. I read a thread a week ago where one of our riders had an issue with a tank vent line. Do I need a cap that vents? Or has anyone used a cap like this one?

I know Trev from the UK (Sparticus) had problems with his Gen 8 tank imploding under vacuum because he has not vent, he's had to get his tank replaced.  I'd have a look at a vented cap or check with a dealer to see iff you need one.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

8 spoke looks meh at best. Not on my list of upgrades. I’d have marchesini wheels before I got an 8 spoke. 

Superbrightleds has a great website and is LEGIT! Hopefully you matched the led color to the lens color!!! Very important. 

Superbright came through. I'm using red for tail and brake lights. And amber for signals (I have a clear lens). These fit much better.

DSCN1359.thumb.JPG.a549eefe6c8f5f93388503204bc93642.JPG

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Woodie said:

I know Trev from the UK (Sparticus) had problems with his Gen 8 tank imploding under vacuum because he has not vent, he's had to get his tank replaced.  I'd have a look at a vented cap or check with a dealer to see iff you need one.

Yep Woodie that is the post that caused my concern. I'll test the new cap carefully. The tank has a vent line so I'm thinking as long as it's not pinched I should be OK. Once I get it running properly I'll swap the cap and run it for a few minutes and see it creates any vacuum. 

I'm looking through the thread for the first time, thank you for posting and keeping it up. 
I was going to mention DMR for suspension, but it looks like you're already on top of it. I'm curious, if you go with his front suspension upgrade, how it compares to stock. I'm a pretty aggressive rider and the suspension has a lot to be desired.

Looking forward to seeing more updates.

• Member Contributer

Yep. I'm enjoying the project. And yes I purchased DMT front cartridges and rear shock. Shock is in. And I just completed the cartridge install on one of the forks yesterday. At first I had some difficulty with the install instructions (I've never rebuilt a fork before). I sent Jamie an email and he clarified the steps I had questions for. I had him rebuild the forks for last VFR and they were excellent. I expect this set up to be better. And could not ask for better support than DMR. I have another month or so before the bike is all back together. And then riding it may be delayed until weather permits. We'll see. But yes I will post up some feedback at that point. 

• Member Contributer
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, Woodie said:

In the mean-time I will invest in a decent grammar and spellchecker ! !

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Woodie said:

In the mean-time I will invest in a decent grammar and spellchecker ! !

Save the money and use it to buy another bike...   :-)

• Member Contributer
On 2017/12/15 at 4:28 AM, Rogue_Biker said:

因为我有OEM,所以我无法贡献任何东西。

但是,你有八辐式后轮吗?大声笑!  

因为你知道.....

38611328272_39cd2291b0_b.jpg

so beautiful....!

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Willy said:

Save the money and use it to buy another bike...   :-)

I've got 4 and a half... If I buy any More SWiMBO might notice.I've only gotten away with it so far as they are all the same colour..

:goofy:

Archived