London calling...

OK...  So third or fourth snow for this winter happened the other day... the mini beast they were calling it after the previous "Beast from the East" Siberian wind and snow storm that was supposedly going to be the end of the world... but everything imploded, froze to a crisp and came back from the depths of hypothermia (polar opposite to Enzed's fave line)....

Anyway I knew the battery on my Tigress wasn't going to like it... and I can't get a tender on her where I currently live so... I don't think the battery is dead altogether as I just try the once... wait for it to recover... try again... insisted a few times like that but didn't want to twist the knife... today it was still able to crank for a few seconds... maybe there's some other problem... I pulled the battery out to check its condition.... it doesn't look warped, cells don't seem to have leaked... poles are not even corroded... so no telltale physical visual signs it's fugged.

It's a NUMAX (never heard of them, seem to be the cheapest) YTX14BS 12V 12AH... I checked it with a little multimeter I have... still says 12.26V some time later so may still be salvageable... so question is... buy a charger or a new battery?? Yeah I know I should have it load tested but I have no way of getting around, lugging this thing will either be to a bin or to a mate's I'm hoping might have a charger...

I figure 20 quid for a charger (I could make one with one of my laptop transformers if I had the bits... I'm pretty sure this generic one I have with adjustable output would charge the bugger but I need to fashion an adapter which fits into its universal terminal... it's like two tiny pins and you get all these different sized (diameter) plugs to go into different laptops and devices and I can squeeze 12, 16, 18 20V and 6A out of the transformer... just need to adapt some cables... got no tools or nada here... all my DIY MacGyver stuff is back in Spain). Maybe 50 quid for a battery??

Charlie Brown Aaaaagghhh here

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either of these top two set ups would de me but I don't know what you call those connectors (on the left) to search for just the cable part... yes, I'm a miser with a Scottish surname.

neiLxYS.jpg

Just been told over the dog and bone that LIDL are offering their chargers UK-wide as of tomorrow... except in my area... guess the start of Spring brings them out of hiding... just not around here...

• Member Contributer

Since you have a multimeter, I would check the voltage output at the R/R first to eliminate it as the problem. On a VFR it should be between 13.5 and 16 volts above 2500 rpm, I assume a Triumph would be some what the same.

I know you may not have the luxury of time, but if you could, put the battery on a trickle charger for a day. If it doesn't take a charge or voltage drops rapidly, then there you go. If though the battery does take a charge above 13 volts and stays there, then you might want to start looking for a short in your wiring that's draining your system. Would be a shame to buy a new battery only to have the symptoms still there. Ask me how I know that :)

I know exactly what its like to be in your shoes. I was working in Calf. living in an apartment with no garage, no tools and bought a 1983 CB650 to get around on. I was a challenge to keep it on the road. I remember running to the drug store and buying a hairbrush as I could not find anything else on a Sunday evening to clean out my carb jets.

Good luck, I hope its a simple fix.

I checked the bike's charging system behaviour earlier, can't right now as bike doesn't start. It was perfectly healthy. Nice 14.6 V DC at idle with low beam and grip warmers on. Little less with those items turned off. Giving it gas would see the r/r suppress the voltage as is designed to do and stabilize. I know how it all works. That's not the issue, just lots of short commutes in around 0°C weather. No idea how old the battery is. Bought bike in November, don't trust what seller said about maintenance.

That's exactly what I want to do, put a charger on it, just looking at options and such. I have a couple of weeks to experiment and see if the battery holds up...

If I could get my hands on a cable set up like the top two of that pic from previous post but connecting to either of the options seen below (2 pins or cylinder) I'd be set... Don't know what these connectors are called. I've found options with alligator clips to cigarette plugs...

47b53b65acdb78fefb2ff83e93d4929c.jpg

Just now, Skids said:

It's so much easier with a Honda! :wink::goofy::beer:

Yeah... you just know you're either buying a new R/R and/or a new Stator and/or a new battery too... hehehehe.

I was impressed by this Triumph Tiger's charging system when I tested it out before buying. It's famous for other problems though... like water getting in through the gas cap... I've thoroughly looked at that... they guy who designed it was overpaid (by his entire salary).

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

I checked the bike's charging system behaviour earlier, can't right now as bike doesn't start. It was perfectly healthy. Nice 14.6 V DC at idle with low beam and grip warmers on. Little less with those items turned off. Giving it gas would see the r/r suppress the voltage as is designed to do and stabilize. I know how it all works. That's not the issue, just lots of short commutes in around 0°C weather. No idea how old the battery is. Bought bike in November, don't trust what seller said about maintenance.

That's exactly what I want to do, put a charger on it, just looking at options and such. I have a couple of weeks to experiment and see if the battery holds up...

Didn't mean to come across as pedantic. Read your thread and did not see the info you now provided, so I started at the beginning.

You obviously have a handle on it.

Batteries in the US all have some type of date code, whether its as simple as 04/14,  April of 2014, to a code that is similar to a tire date code, which you will need to look up, but there should be something on the unit to identify its. manf. date. Its how they identify if its still in warranty. If it 4 or more years older, it may be on its way out if not on a battery maintainer. I did manage to salvage my 4th gens battery last year when I shipped out and did not get a chance to remove it before winter, by bringing it inside the house and putting it on a trickle charger. it was at 11.8 volts at that point. I charged for it a day, then rested for a day for a week. . I got this summer out of it with no problem. Then it died this winter. 

So if you can figure out you batteries age you will be better informed as to what will be best for you.

Again, good luck, and I hope its a simple fix

No worries Maine, no information, if accurate, is bad information!

BTW, there's no real way of knowing the start date the p.o. put the acid in the battery and thus its chemical onset. This model doesn't come presealed.

I think I'll just bite the bullet on a new one... Does no sit well with my "tightwadedness"!

:]

Aye well... After mulling it over I've pulled the trigger on a new one... with a long trip planned into Eurolandia in a couple of weeks' time I opted for peace of mind over minding my pennies... 30GBP to my door on the day of my choice (should have done it yesterday as I'd have it today but didn't come across this offer despite ample interweb searching)... another unknown brand and at least I've stayed true in some degree to my Scottish forefathers... it was the cheapest one I could find... 14Ah instead of 12AH... shouldn't be a drama... same model number, same dimensions...

YTX14-BS Powerline Motorcycle Battery 12V 14Ah

Maybe now I can do jumps and wheelies as the imagery suggests...

09c74d2dfd06fefde64b4146ff26e579.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 3/21/2018 at 7:19 PM, Auspanglish said:

If I could get my hands on a cable set up like the top two of that pic from previous post but connecting to either of the options seen below (2 pins or cylinder) I'd be set... Don't know what these connectors are called. I've found options with alligator clips to cigarette plugs...

47b53b65acdb78fefb2ff83e93d4929c.jpg

That's a 2.1mm x 3.5mm (or a 2.5mm x 3.5mm) DC barrel connector.  Is Maplins still in business?  They have them for sure.  If you use a non-smart charger, make sure that you don't over-charge the (new) battery, because that would just be inconvenient...

Ciao,

That's a 2.1mm x 3.5mm (or a 2.5mm x 3.5mm) DC barrel connector.  Is Maplins still in business?  They have them for sure.  If you use a non-smart charger, make sure that you don't over-charge the (new) battery, because that would just be inconvenient...

Ciao,
Oh man, just my luck... I already blew the cash on a new battery... Still, good to know for future reference!

Archived