Monster No Longer in my Dreams

VFR4Lee

It is mine and comes to life with thunder!

I have wanted one for > 20 years, dreams can come true sometimes.

Thanks to the first owner for this 2014 Monster 1200 with less than 2600 miles on the clock.

I love you guys that buy but barely ride, then eat a big load of depreciation on resale.

The tires have big wide chicken strips. Need real mirrors to replace the dentist office refugee on the left bar only.

Maybe a tail tidy and some kind of sun shade windscreen for the dash gauges.

Maybe tip over protection, but I can flat foot his thing. Not something I can say for any bike I have owned recently.

It absolutely had to be red. Stoked!!! :beer:

4V6x4H.jpg

6V6x4H.jpg

Very nice! I'll have a Monster one day. If the V4 hadn't intrigued me, I would have one now.

I prefer bar end mirrors, I feel like I can see more behind me and don't have to move my arms to do so, but as usual, I think I'm in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Nota that bad of a move, I can see why you did what you did.  I too looked at a 2016 monster 1200s in battleship gray. talk about a weapon of choice.   ;)  I've done tthe Duc thing,  for the money though it's hard to beat a 5th gen set up.  But damn, its this or an Aprilia Tuono.   Now go and not have too much fun.  

• Member Contributer

Nice bike!!! I had the M900 air cooled and really had a blast on it.

Like yours the PO had the little concave bar end mirror that will end up killing you because of distance distortion, but they look cool.

Only issues I had with mine was electrical relay problems so I always had a spare relay around under the seat.

• Member Contributer

Meh, I've been rocking the single left side mirror on my 599 for years now.  Actually on my 4th one, I swear it will break if you just look at it hard.  Probably doesn't help that I keep buying those cheap-o cast pot-metal Chinese units rather than more expensive machined aluminum.  I actually prefer the bar end for the same reason as jhenley, the field of view is much better.

I've been looking for the right Monster for the last few years, but finding a good condition, unmolested 2nd Gen (no "hoop" over the back wheel) air cooled 900 near me has been difficult.  They are either run into the ground and stored outside; or garage queens with more money spent on farkles than the bike originally cost and owners with drastically distorted views on the value of their bike.

• Member Contributer

Congrats on your Duck!

The one I lust after is an 851 or 888....

IMAG4209_1.thumb.jpg.9f4d761a2eb9cedee1e32946f3098107.jpg

A friend of mine tells me that the most fun bike that he's ever had is a Duc M900.  That dry clutch drives me crazy though.  Enjoy your new bike.  She's purdeeee.

A friend of mine tells me that the most fun bike that he's ever had is a Duc M900.  That dry clutch drives me crazy though.  Enjoy your new bike.  She's purdeeee.

• Member Contributer

Being a lane splitter, I prefer to have mirrors that don't widen the width of the bike. On my 900SS, the mirrors are almost worthless unless I pull may elbows/arms against my body. Much prefer to do this when I need to than risk taking someones side view mirror out or scratching the side of the car...unless the person is being an A$$, then I'd welcome the wider stance! :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

I think you are going to have a lot of fun with her. Peter Egan said all real motorcyclist know red black and white are the only three proper colors for a motorcycle. You should go visit a ducati monster forum and see what mirror work best with it. I think most of us old timer VFR guys are closet Ducatiste's. 

The newer 18,000 mile valve tune goes a long way to justify the switch.

Wind protection and crash protection would be my two first mods. With your body weight the stock suspension should be great. That second swing arm holding the plate and sigals will have to go.

4 hours ago, VFR Capt.Bob said:

That second swing arm holding the plate and signals will have to go.

You know it. What is that? :goofy:

Really it just holds the plate and plate light. The other things on it are reflectors. I think.

Did only a short test ride and laid my money down. Just wanted to make sure I fit and did not hate it, fat chance.

Pick it up tomorrow if I can find time, 2 hours or so, from work. But if so will just have to go back to work.

But at least it would be in my garage.

Ugh. Now, I want a Duc again. Monster, Hyper, 959, I don't care. YouTube makes it worse.

I left work as soon as the VFR was ready for pickup. Didn't feel bad about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

So, what will it mainly be used for?   Commuting, twisties, trips, general use or what?  Just curious.  Nice catch there!

Picked it up and had a little 80 mile ride today. Took it over to Mulholland and had lunch at Kristys of Malibu. What happened to the Rustic Canyon Grocery Grill? No idea when that changed.

Sweet handling bike with a mechanical symphony. :491:

This is no commuter for me, this is fun fun thunderous fun. Zero thought about aftermarket mufflers, it's plenty loud. :beer:

IMG_1587.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 11/16/2017 at 6:34 PM, VFR4Lee said:

Picked it up and had a little 80 mile ride today. Took it over to Mulholland and had lunch at Kristys of Malibu. What happened to the Rustic Canyon Grocery Grill? No idea when that changed.

Sweet handling bike with a mechanical symphony. :491:

This is no commuter for me, this is fun fun thunderous fun. Zero thought about aftermarket mufflers, it's plenty loud. :beer:

IMG_1587.JPG

That machine definitly needs a SubSpeeds Clear Cluch Cover. HA! After all it is ment to minic a Ducati on a VFR and yours is not visible. Is that not a sin?!

9 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Is that not a sin?!

Nah. And there's way too many expensive aftermarket things I could do.

You could run past 4 figures real quick.

I'm thinking more important things like SS rear stand, luggage rack, small windshield that hopefully also shades the gauges.

Lose the oversize license plate holder.

Was looking at frame and axle sliders, but it looks doubtful they would do any good beyond appearance.

The pipe behind the cover above the clutch is a slow thigh roaster at a stop light. Hmm.

The handling and motor more than make these character issues unimportant. The riding position is pretty comfortable.

My quest for less weight and more power is at an end. Camelot! :beer:

Don't try and tell me it's only a model.

• 4 months later...

Got the stand. Then the handle extension so I could get enough leverage to use it safely.

Luggage rack, Givi top case.

Windshield, frame and axle sliders.

Got a current sticker for the license plate, finally.

Couple other little things have not had a chance to do.

Got a check engine light, "soggy" throttle and refusal to rev over 4,000 RPMs.

Indy shop says it is the Throttle Position Sensor. I think OK, no big deal sensor for like $65 on line.

Shop says Ducati won't sell it separately. It's built into the throttle body assembly / airbox thing.

A mere $2611 new. :wacko:

I looked online, they did not misplace the decimal point. Bought a slightly used one on flea bay for $72 to my door.

After more wailing and gnashing of teeth they got it done, and did the re learning thing.

Mechanic was not 100% sure, said they found a wire that was run tight along it's route. May have pulled loose in addition to the bad TPS.

Hey, ride by wire, we don't need no stinking throttle cables. Who knows what evil lurks in the computer.

So, yesterday I played hooky from work, picked it up and did a 100+ mile loop.

Help me Ronnie James Dio!

Is it evil or divine?!

It sure feels back to divine.  I will ride again tomorrow. :tour:

If you think Honda prices parts high, scroll up. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Very nice, congrats.

And yes, I'm also learning the ways of Ducati. Mine is in tomorrow for 2 more recalls, Brembo master and coolant hose. Rear electronic shock is also leaking, should be covered under extended warranty. $2750.30 for the shock. Yes, decimal point is correct.

Heated factory grips may need replacing, read they don't last for long. It's got less than 5K miles on it so far.

But when it's running it's very nice.

For $2750 it ought to not be just electronic, it ought to be magic. Some of their prices are nuts. :wink:

Rides very nice, yes. I attribute a lot of that to 460 pounds wet, and 87 foot pounds, or do you say pounds feet.

Oh, also 135 ponies. But I really like the pounds. :squid:

Archived