Gauges

BiKenG

To save me from having to strip mine down to find out, perhaps someone who's had their gauges apart could help with some info.

The speedo and tacho and LCD block can all be removed from the rest of the assembly (and at one time new parts ordered independently), but how do they connect into the rest of the assembly? Are they self-contained devices or just the display part that uses circuitry in the main assembly? How are they connected electrically to the main assembly?

Would it be possible to re-position these in a different actual dash panel and simply connect them up at the back without using the OEM outer 'case'? Or even use a different actual speedo?

2 hours ago, MadScientist said:

Yes, everything you say is correct.  I took a few pictures of the details inside the gauge cluster, hope they help you or somebody out.

Brilliant, thank you. Not sure what I can do with that assembly, but at least I now know what I'm working with.

Thanks again.

16 minutes ago, JZH said:

I've got some spares, Ken.  Pre-HISS 5th gen clocks.

Ciao,

But no Gen 4 rear wheel :sad: (private joke)

6 minutes ago, JZH said:

Just under 90mm.  Tacho is just over 90mm.

Ciao,

Thanks. So an 85mm Speedo ought to drop in reasonably well.

I'd like to find a speedo with analogue dial and also a digital display of speed and gear position (as calculated from speed and rpm). Not found one yet, in any size. :sad:

• Member Contributer

Sorry, the backing on my spare set was munched in a crash as well.  Even the little plastic tabs holding the rectangular indicator symbol piece sheared in the impact.

Ciao,

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2017 at 6:30 AM, BiKenG said:

Thanks. So an 85mm Speedo ought to drop in reasonably well.

I'd like to find a speedo with analogue dial and also a digital display of speed and gear position (as calculated from speed and rpm). Not found one yet, in any size. :sad:

You can use any gauge cluster you like. Its easiest to use a honda gauge cluster from a cbr600rr or 1000rr. make sure to get the wiring stock cluster wiring harness with it. 

You will need a speedo healer to correct the speedometer. The rest of the wires will have to be matched with the wiring diagrams from both bikes. But Honda has been using the same wiring colors with only minor variations for 30 years.

I tossed around this idea for my cx500 and eventually settled on a very tiny danmoto nano.

17 hours ago, fonque said:

You can use any gauge cluster you like. Its easiest to use a honda gauge cluster from a cbr600rr or 1000rr. make sure to get the wiring stock cluster wiring harness with it. 

I know what you're saying but there are caveats. E.g. the VFR1200 uses a Honda proprietary serial communication link between ECU and gauge cluster that transmits info including HISS, gear position, oil pressure, engine management and others and they (Honda) do NOT want you to know the actual protocol. They don't publish it and won't tell you and that makes matching gauge clusters on bikes like this well nigh impossible. But I'm still working on it...:smile:

I also discovered that although the VFR1200 models (F and X) are so very similar, it can catch you out. One would imagine that most of the wiring harness was common, but despite the fact that they both employ the same physical connector to their respective gauge clusters and both carry the exact same signals using the exact same wires, they are NOT in the same positions in that connector. So woe betide anyone who thinks they can simply connect up either dash to either bike. In order to use the CrossTourer dash on my VFR1200F based eVo4 I had to remove all the wire terminals from the connector and refit them in different pin positions. Then it does work, but I hate to think what would occur if you didn't reposition them before plugging it in.

There is also the problem that not all fuel gauges operate at the same signal range, so dash swapping tends to throw up issues with fuel gauges too. There are adapters available to correct the readings, but it's something to be aware of.

Much as I like a good 'digital' display, with many coloured display screens being used these days, there is another issue I've not seen mentioned. First of all, despite the cheapness of the basic components, the dash/gauge cluster of a modern bike, e.g. Honda can be around £1,000. Some more, some less. Insanely overpriced, but that's commonplace these days. Many of us have no doubt had to replace a warning/illumination bulb in gauges, but these are all now LEDs on the main board and although less likely to fail than an incandescent bulb, if/when they do, you have to buy a whole new dash at the aforementioned eye-wateringly expensive price. All just because a single light has failed. To me this is preposterous. £1,000 just to fix what used to be a simple bulb that cost almost nothing.

While on the subject of wiring and costs, anyone checked on the price of a VFR1200F wiring harness. £1,500. I kid you not. Well, £1,486 to be precise at the last check. Am I the only one who sees how utterly unacceptable this is?

Anyway, I have now settled on a 6th Gen dash/gauge cluster as suitable for my requirements. So if anyone has one available to sell...

Archived