K&N Oil Filter Recall - KN-204

bighawk

Received an email that the oil filter I installed on my bike is being recalled.  More info here:

https://www.knfilters.com/recallkn204?utm_source=emailblast&utm_medium=slice2&utm_campaign=email-november-17-kandn-oil-filter-recall

Could apply to other VFR models as well: Mods - feel free to move the post accordingly.

• Member Contributer

About bloody time, long overdue.

"K&N has discovered that certain KN-204 and KN-204C oil filters manufactured between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016, can leak oil at the area where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine oil changes) is welded to the end of the filter. If there is such a leak, oil could come into contact with the rear tire or rear brake of the motorcycle on which the filter is installed. If this were to occur, it could lead to a loss of control or a crash."

Wouldn't touch them with a 10ft. pole! There have been numerous posts about these filters failing.

I don't understand that tiny little production run being recalled. I had a failure back in 2012. Others have had failures in other years too. And there have been several K&N failure threads long before 2016.

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, DriverDave said:

I don't understand that tiny little production run being recalled. I had a failure back in 2012. Others have had failures in other years too. And there have been several K&N failure threads long before 2016.

+1.  Member Olive had a catastrophic failure of one of these in 2010.   I had a friend with a 5th gen that had a K&N failure too.  Could have killed him.    Really puzzling that the design itself hasn't been re-evaluated. 

• Member Contributer

Have to say the most failures I’ve heard of have been on US based forums. Heard my first UK one earlier this year and my first OZ on one this page.  I’m on quite a few forums across the board. 

^^^Nope!  Mine was welded.  Pretty sure they've all been welded for many years.  In fact, I've never seen or even heard of it being riveted on until you posted that.

Mine is clearly riveted and so are the others that are affected in the recall notice. New ones are welded. I took a look at them in the shop - its an accurate statement as far as the samples I have seen. 

• Member Contributer
On 11/13/2017 at 11:31 AM, Urbanengineer said:

Vfr I just purchased has an oil leak somewhere. Also had a KN-204 filter.... I hate their crap and how people really think it makes their vehicles faster. 

The magic of advertising, brand identification and sucker consumers (sorry guys, nothing personal, just the way it is).

Especially silly when the OEM filters cost about the same as K&N's crap, perhaps even a bit less.

Though I wonder if some shops might be using the K&Ns because of a better profit margin on them.

Archived