Opinon Time - Tires

Reynolds

This should get everyone going - It's almost time for new skins for the 1200.  What is everyone running and would you buy the same thing again?  I ride the normal mix, some commuting, plus spirited back roads - not a lot of highway.

Thanks!!

• Member Contributer

Dunlop RS3.  Went through two sets of the PR4.  The Michelins are good tires but the Dunlops are better.  Already have a spare set waiting to go on when my current set is done.

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, EhViffer said:

Wow - those are actually ugly.  I never thought I'd say that about a tire.  I can't put my finger on it, but those have an appearance that is truly off-putting.  

• Member Contributer

Reynolds: I don't have a 1200, but I've found Michelin Pilot Power worked very well on a variety of Hondas over the past few years. VTR1000F, VFR750 ('92), VFR800 - both 5th and 6th gen. Two years ago I opted Pilot Road 4 and was surprised that they felt as good given they are more touring oriented than the PP. Plus they lasted much longer.

Oregonian: looks are in the eye of the beer-holder, but if the Road 5 are as improved over the Road 4 as the Pilot Power RS are over the Pilot Power 4 they will be a terrific choice. Don't forget that you can't see 'em while riding :wink:

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Lorne said:

Reynolds: I don't have a 1200, but I've found Michelin Pilot Power worked very well on a variety of Hondas over the past few years. VTR1000F, VFR750 ('92), VFR800 - both 5th and 6th gen. Two years ago I opted Pilot Road 4 and was surprised that they felt as good given they are more touring oriented than the PP. Plus they lasted much longer.

Oregonian: looks are in the eye of the beer-holder, but if the Road 5 are as improved over the Road 4 as the Pilot Power RS are over the Pilot Power 4 they will be a terrific choice. Don't forget that you can't see 'em while riding :wink:

I think I figured it out - trypophobia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia

24 minutes ago, Oregonian said:

I think I figured it out - trypophobia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia

Holes in things do not generally cause me revulsion or disgust.

Stupid does though.

And you can't fix stupid. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I'm really impressed with Metzeler Roadtec 01's, the first front tyre that I've met that is built to wear better in the shoulder zone where I usually wear out lesser tyres. The front tyre on my 800 looks hardly worn after some severe abuse and is resisting triangular wear very well. It also is one of the most stable and comfortable-riding tyres I've tried, yet with no lack of grip. 

I'm also partial to Pirelli Angel ST but I would prefer the Roadtec's on my ST1100 if they came in the right size.

Seems like an odd solution. I guess if you live in England or Washington and rarely see the sun, losing surface area for bigger sipes as the tire wears might sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holes in PR4 after 1571 mile give me disgust and lack of confidence in PR4 today. At least 6 or 7 holes like this, WTF Michelin? :pissed:

100_2804.JPG

16 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Holes in PR4 after 1571 mile give me disgust and lack of confidence in PR4 today. At least 6 or 7 holes like this, WTF Michelin? :pissed:

100_2804.JPG

Whoa!!  That's not good at all!!

Michelin has opened a case. I need to take off the wheel and go back where I got it for them to inspect.

Our Standard Manufacturer's Limited Warranty covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from the date of purchase, whichever occurs first.

Damage from road hazards or other injuries to tires are conditions that are not covered under the limited warranty.

If you purchased a road hazard warranty from the selling retailer, then the condition may be covered under that warranty.

We recommend taking your vehicle to an authorized Michelin dealer for an inspection of the tire. Please have the dealer contact us at the number below, and refer to your case number,

Well I don't think any manufacturer is immune to a few defective tires that escapes the quality inspection.

I had a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 2's on my VFR.  Great tires.  Stick like glue.  Quick steering.  Great grip in wet.  But after 5k miles the front developed bumps along the center tread, which created a high speed vibration at speeds above 80 mph.  I could literally see and feel the bumps along the center!  This never happened on all my previous Dunlop Roadsmarts from version 1 to 2.  Anyway, the front tire was already approaching the end of its useful life anyway and was beginning to get triangulated.

I've since replaced them with Dunlop Roadsmart 3's.  Wow!  Again, great stick.  Steering feel compliments my VFR800.  I think you can't go wrong with Michelin, Dunlop, & Bridgestone tires.  Other brands too I'm sure.  Just pick sport touring tires on the VFR and you won't be disappointed.  

Dealer says this here is a puncture mark. It must have run low on air and overheated. That is my expert opinion and Michelin is tight ass and won't do anything. He did sell me a new tire with no tax or install labor.

100_2903.thumb.JPG.4a4823c0eee92aaa82a953ee3925a9bc.JPG

Archived