rpm increases, but why?

loosenoose

i have an inconsistent issue with my bike. i dont know if this is just how it is, the clutch may be going out, or what else it could be... here's what's happening. 

when the engine is under a heavy load, like i am accelerating to pass a car, the throttle isnt moving, but my rpm's seem to be increasing. it should be steady, but the engine is noticeably working a bit harder. i dont notice a speed increase... i have done the flapper and pair mod. idk what this could be, unless it's the clutch... ?

• Member Contributer

Try the basic maintenance stuff first (flush clutch fluid, clean out master and slave) but my guess is you need at least new friction discs, but maybe also springs. Changing these out is no seriously big deal with hand tools.

I have never worked on a pnumatic clutch. Opening the cover wont result in me having to bleed the clutch line, will it? Maybe it’s a dumb question, but lol, i hate bleeding stuff, and i dont have shop money right now. 

Changing out a clutch is no problem for me. I’ve done it for several other bikes i have owned. 

Thank you for the reply, terry. 

Roland, what the heck? How was your tire slipping on the rim? Low pressure?

• Member Contributer

Hydraulic clutch, you mean.  No, the clutch slave cylinder is separate from the clutch cover (it's on the opposite side of the bike, for one thing), so you won't disturb anything.  You can actually remove the clutch cover without draining the oil out of the bike if you leave it on the side-stand.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

It was slipping because I used silicone to mount the tire and it was an Avon. I had used silicon to mount tires before with no problem. But with the Avon it would slip about 10 degrees on shifting from 4th to 5th. Easy to check with a  tire marker crayon.

• Member Contributer

You may find the piston in clutch slave cylinder extends a little with the clutch lifter plate removed; might need a little encouragement to get it to retract when you reassemble, same as pushing a brake piston back when changing pads.

Archived