Cracked Vinyl on 2012 VFR1200 seat repair recommendations.

SSNOWDEN77

I have owned my 2012 VF1200 for 26 months and the vinyl cover on the seat has split in several spots in the forward area. Looking for recommendations for either a temporary repair option, replace with OEM or choose aftermarket replacement. Thanks in advance for any input. I have read that the seats on 2010 VFR1200’s were notorious for the vinyl cracking.

AAC684CB-EECF-4200-9CA8-EB11FD142844.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I bought a real leather seat cover on Ebay and had a local auto upholstery shop install it.  No more sliding all over the place and a much better seat.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/31/2018 at 2:07 PM, swimmer said:

I bought a Saddlemen seat cover, specific to the VFR1200 to replace my cracked cover.  Hope to install it this weekend.

swimmer what was your impression of the Saddlemen seat cover?

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, ReadingVFR said:

swimmer what was your impression of the Saddlemen seat cover?

Actually, its not bad.  The cut  and quality seems decent and I think most of the short comings were from my install.  Its one of those things where at least for me, the first time was a learning experience and I'd do a better job the second time.  The biggest change I would make from the instructions where they tell you to install the front and back first, I'd install the front and the press and glue the cover against the contour of the seat before attaching the rear.  Mine doesn't sit flat against the seat the whole.    Overall I think the product is good and how well it works out depends on the installation job.  

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 1/31/2018 at 10:43 AM, EhViffer said:

Never regretted sending seat pan for the 2010 to Sargent in Florida and had them recover it. Huge improvement.

Yes they are a great company with a special design for the Vfr 1200. 

• Member Contributer

My Vfr 1200 came with a Corbin seat with passenger back rest. Its nice but heavier than the stock seat. But still nice to have. Best bet is to send it to Sargent to have it customized. I would like to send my stock seat in the future  to Sargent. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a local shop do mine and it turned out really well! I liked the feel of the stock seat, I just needed the vinyl fixed. I just gave him some inspiration and the VFR logo and he did the rest. Cost me less than $200. I have about 1,000 miles on the seat and no issues yet. 

Feel free to reach out and I can get yours done, but the shipping may be expensive to Northwest Arkansas. 

image.png.57cab776b2e9ae4015449bd17707c0b8.pngimage.png.40a56b10c82da1568663109f985a7e59.png

image.png

When I re-covered the seats on both of my 5th Gen VFR800s I used these guys (here's a link to the appropriate seat cover for your 2012 VFR1200).  I re-covered my '99 5th Gen's seat in the Fall of 2016 and I re-covered my '01 5th Gen's seat in the Fall of 2017, both times I ordered the product off Ebay (it's made in France).  The covers were delivered faster than I expected both times.

I couldn't be happier with this seat cover, great materials used, the stitching is very well done and robust, and the seat cover fit the OEM seat-pan and foam perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR-1200F-2010-2016-Top-Sellerie-Seat-Cover-set-Designer-black-white-/173258450592?hash=item28570226a0

On a side-note, on of my two 5th Gens came to me with an extra seat, a Corbin.  I guess the Corbin seat would be great for really long distance riding days, but around town it sucked because when you come to a stop and put down one or both feet the Corbin seat is so wide it's uncomfortable between your legs.  Maybe it could work as an around-town seat if you had really wide-set "breeder's hips" it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm built pretty narrow overall.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Never regretted sending seat pan for the 2010 to Sargent in Florida and had them recover it. Huge improvement.

i'm thinking of sending my seat to Sargent ....did it change the riding position at all ?? ...i know they say it fixes the sliding forward problem , which is good , but i'm a little gun shy because i put a Corbin seat on my Interceptor and i hated it....pushed me into the tank ...made a very upright riding position .....hoping that the Sargent retains the oem ergo's .....thnx

IMG_1218.JPG

Archived