Front Stand Recommendation

lazyeye

• Member Contributer

What front stands are you all using? The MJMoto triple tree stand I have seems to impact the plastic, so I'm hesitant to use it, and I'd rather use a real stand instead of a jack on the exhaust.

For that matter what are you all using for your rear?

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a pitbull stand that picks up from the bottom of the fork legs. This would be good for pulling the wheel off, but not pulling out the fork tubes. I also have the one for picking up at the steering stem, but don't have the correct pin to try it. 

• Member Contributer

I have a Pit Bull that picks up using the hole in the triple tree.  No plastic impact or touching whatsoever.  Steady as can be.  It eliminates the jury rigging to change a front tire, do brake work, etc.  Very worth the money for my peace of mind.  You'll need a rear stand too.  Very worth the money as well.

• Member Contributer

I have the front Pit Bull stand that converts so you can pick up using either the forks or the triple tree. Works a treat.

Highly recommended.

• Member Contributer

For simple stuff I use the pit bull stands front and rear. I too have the front stand that either lifts from under the forks or from under the triple tree. The pit bull stands are solid and I trust using them and would recommend them to anyone.

For long term task and/or for getting more height I use the ABBA skylift stand. This kit is also very sturdy and works a treat as you can actually move the bike around while it’s lifted (in some setups) although I usually lower it to it’s lowest position when moving the bike around, it raises and lowers easy enough it’s not an issue to do that if moving it around a lot.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, lazyeye said:

Thanks for the recommendations. It seems every bike I get I end up with a different stand for it!

The ABBA stand can be purchased for a specific bike or with a kit that can fit over 300+ bikes (according to their website), this is the kit I bought. It will fit both my VFRs (5&6 Gens) and my Ducati 900SS, plus a plethora of other bikes that some of my friends own and bring by once in a while. It is not cheap but if you do your own repair/maintenance and/or have multiple bikes it will pay for itself over time. At least that’s what I told myself!

• Member Contributer

Head Lift Stand. Best thing I've purchased for the VFR. Works great with the centre stand,  ideal for dropping the front wheel.

Cheers.

P.S. Having the centre stand on a 20mm board just creates enough clearance for the rear tyre, and its very steady.

IMG_4493_low_res.jpg

I bought a Pit Bull rear. Front is a T-Rex triple tree/head lift stand I've had for years for my old bike. Does its job perfectly well. It also came with the pieces to lift from the bottom of the forks, but I don't even know where they are and I've never come across any occasion to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 29/10/2017 at 6:56 PM, Duc2V4 said:

The ABBA stand can be purchased for a specific bike or with a kit that can fit over 300+ bikes (according to their website), this is the kit I bought. It will fit both my VFRs (5&6 Gens) and my Ducati 900SS, plus a plethora of other bikes that some of my friends own and bring by once in a while. It is not cheap but if you do your own repair/maintenance and/or have multiple bikes it will pay for itself over time. At least that’s what I told myself!

I too have an Abba with fitting kits for VFR and 900SS (!) plus the front lifter add-on which allows you to get both wheels off the ground at the same time. Bought it originally for the Ducati because it only has a side stand but have now used it on all three of my VFRs (5th, 6th and 8th) and my brother's Yamaha Fazer as well as the 900SS. Great bit of kit.

• Member Contributer

Mine is by B&Q... (UK version of Home Depot) .. works very well as it doesn't get in the way of anything, cost me nothing and can be re-worked to fit any bike in my collection.

:goofy:

Honda Forks 1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I bought a cheap head stand from a local retailer; just awesome to use.

IMG_1547.JPG

On 10/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, Grum said:

Head Lift Stand. Best thing I've purchased for the VFR. Works great with the centre stand,  ideal for dropping the front wheel.

Cheers.

P.S. Having the centre stand on a 20mm board just creates enough clearance for the rear tyre, and its very steady.

IMG_4493_low_res.jpg

I was trying to figure out how I'd make the rear stand work, but this is brilliant.

• Member Contributer

Bought (and resold when done) a cheap stand to deconstruct redslut

IMAG5346.thumb.jpg.d9d9e125d129160d34e89f9c08dcce52.jpg

I now use an ABBA stand for my VF/SP

IMAG8353.thumb.jpg.ff6e3892b20036851ff40c3038c057c0.jpg

I have both the pit-bull and the T-Rex Racing triple tree stands.  The T-Rex looks more sturdy, has more adjustment options and has more rubber coating on it.  It also costs less.  The only problem I have with T-Rex is that they are not too good in the shipping side of things since they send the wrong parts or do not send them at all.  However, after one or more tries their customer service eventually makes it right.  This has happened to me more than six times.

20 minutes ago, Chowtoo said:

I have both the pit-bull and the T-Rex Racing triple tree stands.  The T-Rex looks more sturdy, has more adjustment options and has more rubber coating on it.  It also costs less.  The only problem I have with T-Rex is that they are not too good in the shipping side of things since they send the wrong parts or do not send them at all.  However, after one or more tries their customer service eventually makes it right.  This has happened to me more than six times.

Happened to me also, but they did make it right.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Urbanengineer said:

I was trying to figure out how I'd make the rear stand work, but this is brilliant.

What brand is that stand? Would go nicely with my Honda racing rear stand.

Also just FYI. You can utilize the centerstand to lift the front off the ground with no front stand. Think CS is a fulcrum. Use a tie down to anchor the rear wheel against the ground to loft the front. Good solution for all front end work including steering stem removal and bearings.

Just need a low secure anchor point for the tiedown.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:50 AM, Woodie said:

Mine is by B&Q... (UK version of Home Depot) .. works very well as it doesn't get in the way of anything, cost me nothing and can be re-worked to fit any bike in my collection.

Mine is very similar! 

20170211_145337.jpg

Archived