Tip over now my 8th Gen won't start!

joepopp

• Member Contributer
On 10/27/2017 at 3:04 PM, Rectaltronics said:

The video was very helpful for showing what went wrong.

Brake light stays on when a fuse blows?  That's Satan's work!!!

There are fuses that do this, makes it easier to find the blown fuse. Not sure if this equates to the same reason but maybe it’s Engineered that way to indicate you have a problem.

• Member Contributer

“The only reason we die, is because we accept it as an inevitability”...Stevie Griffin

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

“The only reason we die, is because we accept it as an inevitability”...Stevie Griffin

How could you utter such a self fulfilling prophecy? Use positive thought and you will live forever.

Or just get married and it will feel like it.

Fooling yourself is apparently great fun.

I cannot crash if I believe I cannot.

Hey! Let's ride naked! :beer:

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, VFR4Lee said:

Hey! Let's ride naked! :beer:

Just the ladies please........

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Nelix said:

How could you utter such a self fulfilling prophecy? Use positive thought and you will live forever.

Or just get married and it will feel like it.

Knipsel.JPG.30206eb68f64ce0767c91fd6b6ae29d0.JPG

:goofy:

Yes, because those completely relate to what I was saying.

/facepalm.

8 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Leaving most of them, however the above is particularly special... I am bewildered as to how a functional mind (maybe that is the wrong assumption) equates that with what I am saying.

Maybe this board is unique with people who all expect to drop their bikes. Interesting.

There is a difference between the possibility of an event occurring and it being inevitable.

In all seriousness, if you have your mind on something you want to avoid, it is in certain cases more likely to happen. I found this a lot with mountain-biking. "I must avoid that rut." Then: "Aaaargh!"

So if you come up to a stop thinking "Holy shit I hope I don't drop it!!!" you're more likely to panic and do something stupid. But I think this is less dangerous than the situation where someone has never been warned how easy it might be to unbalance a heavy bike if they're not careful, because they won't know what to do to prevent it. Hence, on balance, the self-fulfilling prophecy idea doesn't hold water.

2 hours ago, HareBrain said:

So if you come up to a stop thinking "Holy shit I hope I don't drop it!!!" you're more likely to panic and do something stupid. But I think this is less dangerous than the situation where someone has never been warned how easy it might be to unbalance a heavy bike if they're not careful, because they won't know what to do to prevent it. Hence, on balance, the self-fulfilling prophecy idea doesn't hold water.

As per above, where did I ever suggest not to be aware that something was possible?

I was simply arguing against the inevitable argument and the idea that it should be accepted as going to happen eventually.

No where have I suggested sticking one's head in the sand. That's a completely different point to the one I was making (and one that I have been misrepresented with).

• Member Contributer

Of course there is a difference between the possibility of an event occurring and it being inevitable,  however in this case the possibility, as every experienced rider will tell you, is extremely high. So high in fact that it is a probability, not a possibility. 

It's like playing a contact sport, at some point you are going to get hurt and no amount of crap about self fulfilling prophecies is going to change that. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, adprom said:

As per above, where did I ever suggest not to be aware that something was possible?

I was simply arguing against the inevitable argument and the idea that it should be accepted as going to happen eventually.

No where have I suggested sticking one's head in the sand. That's a completely different point to the one I was making (and one that I have been misrepresented with).

I get what you are saying and personally, if I accept that it is possible and not inevitable, then I can actually keep the thought out of my head and thus it not become an inevitably. This goes along with the “Look where you want to go and not where you are going”.

• Member Contributer
On 10/27/2017 at 6:04 PM, Rectaltronics said:

The video was very helpful for showing what went wrong.

Brake light stays on when a fuse blows?  That's Satan's work!!!

Exactly! I think that's what threw me off! 

My bike fell over last week, rolled off the side stand.:sad: 1st time in 14yrs I had a bike fall over. Fortunately only a busted Clutch lever, so glad I fitted Crash knobs. BUT..... This is the first bike I have had crash knobs fitted . Voila..

And the resetting of the tip over switch by turning the ignition off/on had to be done to restart. One positive I know I can pick the bike up :cheerleader:

The simple act of turning the bars to the LEFT rather than straight or to the right would have been enough to divert the event.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, PetePower said:

My bike fell over last week, rolled off the side stand.:sad: 1st time in 14yrs I had a bike fall over. Fortunately only a busted Clutch lever, so glad I fitted Crash knobs. BUT..... This is the first bike I have had crash knobs fitted . Voila..

And the resetting of the tip over switch by turning the ignition off/on had to be done to restart. One positive I know I can pick the bike up :cheerleader:

The simple act of turning the bars to the LEFT rather than straight or to the right would have been enough to divert the event.

Oh dear, you must have self fulfilled your prophecy.........

Archived