Tip over now my 8th Gen won't start!

joepopp

• Member Contributer

My 2014 had a tip over which I thought was minor. Normal mirror snap, bent lever, and slight tweak to the rear brake lever. I ordered all the replacement parts and waiting for them. I went to start it up I get nothing! All the lights seem to be working (Turn Signals, headlight high beams, and the dash lights up) 

There are three odd issues. No gear indicator number (Straight Line), the horn doesn't work, and the rear brake light is stuck on. 

I am assuming the brake light is a bent lever but I can't seem to make any adjustment that make it go off. 

I'm totally sick over this. I just bought it as a leftover and totally bummed. 

It's dark outside now but I figure I'll try to disconnect the battery and reconnect as sort of a reboot to the electronics? 

Any insight greatly appreciated. 

22555518_1729060660439618_5106762287162860109_o.thumb.jpg.4b33fcc0fab8d5979748215b6c63b100.jpg

My 2014 had a tip over which I thought was minor. Normal mirror snap, bent lever, and slight tweak to the rear brake lever. I ordered all the replacement parts and waiting for them. I went to start it up I get nothing! All the lights seem to be working (Turn Signals, headlight high beams, and the dash lights up) 

There are three odd issues. No gear indicator number, the horn doesn't work, and the rear brake light is stuck on. 

I am assuming the brake light is a bent lever but I can't seem to make any adjustment that make it go off. 

I'm totally sick over this. I just bought it as a leftover and totally bummed. 

It's dark outside now but I figure I'll try to disconnect the battery and reconnect as sort of a reboot to the electronics? 

Any insight greatly appreciated. 

22555518_1729060660439618_5106762287162860109_o.thumb.jpg.4b33fcc0fab8d5979748215b6c63b100.jpg
It is a bummer to tip over one's new bike, but take heart, everything will be good as new one way or another in no time and it will all be behind you (sadly, I speak from experience). I was going to suggest the same thing, disconnect the battery for 60 seconds and let it reset and see what happens.
If that doesn't work, there's lots of help on this forum - or worst case scenario, your dealer will take care of it. Also, check your owners manual to see if there are any Instructions for resetting after a tip over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
Just now, 4corsa said:

It is a bummer to tip over one's new bike, but take heart, everything will be good as new one way or another in no time and it will all be behind you (sadly, I speak from experience). I was going to suggest the same thing, disconnect the battery for 60 seconds and let it reset and see what happens.
If that doesn't work, there's lots of help on this forum - or worst case scenario, your dealer will take care of it. Also, check your owners manual to see if there are any Instructions for resetting after a tip over.

Thanks for the encouraging words 4corsa! I'll get it sorted. 

Ok just found another thread on this subject - just search "Reset Lean Angle Switch".
So from what I read, there is some sort of a detector that senses if you've crashed or tipped over your bike and shuts down your fuel pump. It requires a reset, and disconnecting the battery won't do it. Probably requires a trip to the dealer but should be simple for them to do. The good news is your VFR did what it was supposed to do, and there's nothing seriously wrong. Let us know how it goes.

• Member Contributer

Brake light stuck on? My guess is the brake light switch is maybe shorting on the handlebar and taking out a fuse. The starter/horn and stoplight all use the same fuse. Try pulling the leads off the switch. If not you may have a trapped/cut wire for the brake lights.

• Member Contributer

Terrible news Joepopp.

The bike Definetly has a Bank Angle Sensor that WILL have activated in your situation, it kills the fuel pump. Reset of the sensor simply requires the Ignition to be turned OFF then On again you should hear your fuel pump prime. And as suggested do a fuse check under your seat.

Good Luck with it all.

Grum.

• Member Contributer

It always is a question of "when", not "if" you will drop your bike....   

Welcome to the "that sinking feeling" club, now pour yerself a  :beer:

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Terry said:

Brake light stuck on? My guess is the brake light switch is maybe shorting on the handlebar and taking out a fuse. The starter/horn and stoplight all use the same fuse. Try pulling the leads off the switch. If not you may have a trapped/cut wire for the brake lights.

Terry for the win! I didn't check the fuses which is the equivalent to "Is it plugged in?" Doh! The brake lever getting hit rotated the controls forward causing the brake switch to short on the handle bar. Rotated back, changed fuse fired right up. The odd thing is that when this fuse is blown, the brake light stays on! I kept messing with the brake light switch and pedal height to no avail before I replaced the fuse. All good now! Thanks again to Terry!

• Member Contributer

Glad you got that Sussed out Joe. On my 6 Gen this brake switch shorting out thing had caused me grief for a while. When the fuse affected by this circuit is blown, it takes out the entire dash, with the exception of the clock, but includes the head lights!

I had thought that it was a loose connection or frayed wire and was shorting out while I was turning the bars. The odd thing, while stationary, I was squeezing every lever and pushing every pedal and turning the bars back and forth but couldn’t get it to happen, however, as soon as I was on the road, poof! the fuse would blow. It wasn’t until I was at a gas station filling up while the bike was on the center stand that I got the fuse to blow while not in motion. I rocked the bike back and forth to pop it off the center stand and when I grabbed the front brake, I saw the dash go out. I repeated the action (just with the brakes) so I knew the culprit. I disconnected the wires, replaced the fuse and made sure I always used the rear brake pedal when stopping to ensure people behind me could see that I was braking.

I made some adjustments when I got home and it’s been good ever since. Almost forgot, sorry about your tip over, always a sad day to see your bike laying on its side.

12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

It always is a question of "when", not "if" you will drop your bike....   

Bullshit.

That crap is no more than self fulfilling prophecy.

2 hours ago, adprom said:

Bullshit.

That crap is no more than self fulfilling prophecy.

New rider, eh? :laughing6-hehe:

Check back in a few years, or days. If you gonna ride, you gonna fall. :sleep:

8 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

New rider, eh? :laughing6-hehe:

Check back in a few years, or days. If you gonna ride, you gonna fall. :sleep:

Eh, no.

The whole crap about if you ride, you are going to drop it is just a load of BS. People can successfully ride and never drop a bike.

Those who sprout the "you will eventually drop it" rubbish are the same ones who whinge when someone pulls out in traffic on them. 

Just because I am a new member here does not mean:

1. I am not a member of other forums

2. I am a new rider

On some of the forums I am on, the members would tear a new one for the self fulfilling prophecy crap.

That mentality amongst some other matters are covered @ http://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/atganfi/

• Member Contributer

Must be nice to be perfect.

Simple fact is, the more you ride the more chance of you dropping a bike at some time, ride long enough and it will happen, no matter what precautions you take.

I'm only 5'5 and until the last decade and middle age crept in I weighed about as much as a wet tissue. Strangely enough, the 2 heaviest bikes I've owned a sprint RS and the viffer I have never dropped. Have dropped 125s and a zzr600 also a ZX10R.

You're not on "some forums" now, you are new on here.

Perhaps tone down the attitude whilst the ink dries on your membership application?

Having ridden bikes for almost 38 years, I do not have a single bike riding peer that has not dropped a bike at some point.

Of course dropped covers a multitude of incidents, I once unknowingly caught my pillion seat with my leathers mounting my ZX10R, those that saw it said it happened in slow motion, I was pushing the bike of the side stand as I was getting on the bike, did not hear the warning shouts as I had my lid on.

But then again, I am not perfect.

56 minutes ago, Nelix said:

Perhaps tone down the attitude whilst the ink dries on your membership application?

Thanks for the advice, but nah, I'm right. Herein lies the problem, by suggesting to people that they will drop the bike, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I know people who have ridden for 30+ years and never dropped a bike.

No one is talking about being perfect.

If we are talking about a drop while parking/manouvering/turning in the shed/mounting or dismounting then I am going to claim "perfect" status.

40 years and no drops.

If we are talking about drops after being hit by another vehicle...that's a different story.

12 hours ago, adprom said:

by suggesting to people that they will drop the bike, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

So true! Only yesterday someone suggested to me that you can die of spontaneous combustion, and I'm now a charred corpse. The irony is, that Googling it afterwards (typing slowly because my fingers are turning to ash) I found that spontaneous combustion is a myth!

Such absurd strawman retorts.

If you want to ride around thinking falling off is inevitable, that you can't avoid accidents due to others etc, well that's up to you.

I believe in personal responsibility.

If you want to think dropping a bike being inevitable is a good mindset, well that's up to you.

• Member Contributer

I've been walking for over 50 years now, never tripped or stumbled once, that shit is for those who self fulfill their prophecies.

Archived