Braided Stainless Lines for 8th Gen?

joepopp

• Member Contributer

Have you checked into Galfer?  I have had good luck with their lines myself.  Have them on all 3 VFRs and the Hawk GT.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, deltaboxii said:

Have you checked into Galfer?  I have had good luck with their lines myself.  Have them on all 3 VFRs and the Hawk GT.

Will do that now! 

• Member Contributer

HEL lines are pretty good, their 5/6 Gen VFR kits are really well made.

• Member Contributer

Not hard to measure yourself.

I got mine custom made by HEL.

Good product and looks great.

I just made a drawing of what I wanted with lengths, and they made it and sent them in under 2 weeks (in Australia).

IMG_1715.JPG

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VFROZ said:

Not hard to measure yourself.

I got mine custom made by HEL.

Good product and looks great.

I just made a drawing of what I wanted with lengths, and they made it and sent them in under 2 weeks (in Australia).

Not so easy on the 8th Gen. Special fittings and all. 

59f1d2f2ceabc_ScreenShot2017-10-26at8_04_46AM.png.35676236d94fdf98485ba59155e3842f.png

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, joepopp said:

Not so easy on the 8th Gen. Special fittings and all. 

59f1d2f2ceabc_ScreenShot2017-10-26at8_04_46AM.png.35676236d94fdf98485ba59155e3842f.png

The 6 Gen has several "special" connector blocks, which HEL incorporates into their lines, so it really is a simple swap out of the lines. From what I have seen with the Galfer kits, it is not a direct replacement like the HEL lines are. Not saying the Galfer lines are not as good, but they do seem to do it differently than HEL does.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

The 6 Gen has several "special" connector blocks, which HEL incorporates into their lines, so it really is a simple swap out of the lines. From what I have seen with the Galfer kits, it is not a direct replacement like the HEL lines are. Not saying the Galfer lines are not as good, but they do seem to do it differently than HEL does.

Maybe that applies to the 8th Gen but the Galfer kit I bought (a group buy on VFRD) for my 6th Gen was a direct replacement and easy to fit. Are you sure Galfer do a different type for the 8th Gen?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

TO me anything that isn't a banjo bolt is special! HAHAHA. I will contact HEL and see what they say. Seems like somebody should have a kit for the 8th Gens by now? 

• 7 months later...

Anybody have an update on the Galfer lines for a non-ABS VFR?  I'm seeing conflicting fitments on different websites.  Some say it would fit, others say it would not.

EDIT: The Galfer part number is FK003D874-8

Is this all overkill for the street? 

I need to change fluids and change pads next year (pads are at 50% right now). Since I don't love the braking feel of the bike, I'd love to improve feel and "bite" while all the parts are off...

Has anyone done this or similar on an 8th gen and can report their results and use case (ie. street, track or both)?

Thank you!

• Member Contributer

I don't consider it overkill for the street at all. IMO it makes the brakes more predictable and easier to

modulate since there is no swelling of the lines under pressure. All the master cylinder pressure goes

to the brakes with none wasted expanding those rubber lines. I think it's one of the best things to do to

your bike.

• Member Contributer

I'll have to agree with FJ12Ryder, I much prefer the feel of the brakes with the SS lines, vice the rubber lines. This goes more for my 2001, as it is almost 10 years older than my 09 and even that one has the SS lines. I'm more on the side of having and not needing, then needing and not having. This is really important with brakes, IMO!

• Member Contributer

The only thing to check is that the line kit incorporates the ABS modulator. The Galfer kit seems to, but HEL have not sorted it yet.

Once you have tried braided lines, you won't go back. A lot of bikes come standard with braided lines, so it isn't an overkill. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, VFR78 said:

Once you have tried braided lines, you won't go back. A lot of bikes come standard with braided lines, so it isn't an overkill. 

Agreed, my CCM had braided lines OEM, so different, touch the lever and you can feel the brakes working instantly

On 6/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, Ohlias said:

Is this all overkill for the street? 

I need to change fluids and change pads next year (pads are at 50% right now). Since I don't love the braking feel of the bike, I'd love to improve feel and "bite" while all the parts are off...

Has anyone done this or similar on an 8th gen and can report their results and use case (ie. street, track or both)?

Thank you!

Can't speak to the application on a VFR but on my CBR it was a night and day difference over the stock rubber brake lines. 

On 6/18/2018 at 7:51 AM, Thumbs said:

Galfer now have a full kit for the 8th gen, $237 + shipping

Fitting instructions here http://galferusa.com/static/files/downloads/D874-8 Instructions.pdf

Is this just for the Deluxe models with ABS or do you know if it will work with the non-ABS base models.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, mikem317 said:

Is this just for the Deluxe models with ABS or do you know if it will work with the non-ABS base models.

The fitting instructions refer to running a line to the ABS, I'm not sure of the difference in the other lines, if any, but if you don't have ABS presumably you don't use that hose

• Member Contributer

If you don't have ABS, then a race setup is likely all you will need. That is two lines from the master cylinder. Help can probably do that for you.

Archived