I crashed it, i fixed it. [pics]

hellindustries

I guess it had to happen eventually...

Anyway, the damage:

• Destroyed headlight
  • Destroyed front mudguard
  • Minor scrapes on left side crash protectors
  • Damaged screen (due to front fairing flex)
  • Cracks/splitting around side fairing at top (very minor)

At the scene:

RBILu30.jpg

Inside of front fairing:

Xw5TUvy.jpg

Repairs:

DRTqwBb.jpg

I used a two-part bond - A powder and a glue. Also used some mesh to keep the powder in place and provide a little scaffold to help keep it all together. Did the same with the replacement mudguard as it had some cracks in the usual places around the mounting points.

Fixed the split headlight mount point with some gel glue as it's pretty good for filling gaps and build-up a surface. Added the duct tape on each side as i'd noticed some rub marks from wiring, so figured this would maybe help slow that down.

Still missing the hatch cover below the headlight.. Oh well.

Damage to screen:

bVKTsLm.jpg

The lack of tabs on both sides made the screen angle up at the bottom. Good thing i still have my MRA screen knocking about!

Replacement headlight - Got it for £200! Bargain (they tend to go for about £250-£300, and are rarely in such good condition.

9queQ46.jpg

All done! What crash?

5ZMD5Dt.jpg

Unless you look very closely, you can't see much of anything, let alone any hard evidence of a crash. Just some bits which look like scratches or old cracks. Nothing unusual for a bike of this age and mileage.

Could have been worse!

Seems like i took most of the impact and had the bike on top of me slightly. No damage to the side, and i've only had some slight aches for the last couple of days which are pretty much gone now. Not even a bruise.

Work took about 2 hours with extra time in there waiting for adhesive and paint to dry, and the headlight to arrive.

• Member Contributer

Nice job! I have a few body parts that I got off of eBay that I'm doing repairs on. I have been doing some plastic welding on most of them and will be working with something Sebspeed recommended for plastic repair, Pliogrip. For the most part the welding has worked really well, I'm going to use the Pliogrip for extra reinforcement.

Archived