Help! Drive chain won't stay adjusted

gunn799

Since I'm on the topic of chains, I've noticed that the drive chain isn't staying adjusted after a ride. There's just too much slack there. The chain is rubbing on the plastic guards on the swingarm. Am I missing something here?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I guess it is obvious that the pinch bolt needs to be tight to stop the eccentric rotating in the rear hub. What is not so obvious is the bolt must have the washer/brake hose carrier installed, if not the bolt can bottom out without pinching hard on the eccentric. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

When I bought my current VFR the PO decided to slap on a chain from China just to see how it performed....let's say, not well.  Only a few thousand miles on it and when I bought it...it went from OK to slack to the eccentric run ALL the way out and wheel base maxed out.  That was about 1500 miles after I bought it.  I had to drop by a Kawi dealer in mid ride and have them install a factory Kawi chain because on uphill portions of the ride the chain would slip over hthe front sproket...I thought it was the altitude and the carbs were leaning out...then I remembered this bike DOESN"T HAVE CARBS! so I put two and two together and WOW chain on the deck...

Matt

My brake hose bracket is under the bolt still so thats good. What's weird is when I spin the wheel the chain has a spot where it goes really tight but then loosesns back to normal. Despite my efforts to revive the chain and sprockets which the po neglected, I think they're done.

• Member Contributer

It's normal for the chain to rub the upper buffer when the bike is on the center stand. You should be able to push the lower run up, and touch it to the lower buffer. If not it's too tight, and you'll damage the countershaft bearing. 

• Member Contributer

Gunn, nothing weird about the tight/loose thing, lots of chains develop that. When I can no longer put up with it I change the driveline, front, rear sprockets and chain, all at once.

Gunn, nothing weird about the tight/loose thing, lots of chains develop that. When I can no longer put up with it I change the driveline, front, rear sprockets and chain, all at once.
That's a relief, I thought the shaft may have bent but everything runs true. I think it may be the source of my vibration I'm experiencing at...um..."higher" speeds. Also should you replaced chain and sprockets together or can you get away from doing that if the sprockets still have decent flat lands at the tips of the teeth?

• Member Contributer

1 hour ago, gunn799 said:

That's a relief, I thought the shaft may have bent but everything runs true. I think it may be the source of my vibration I'm experiencing at...um..."higher" speeds. Also should you replaced chain and sprockets together or can you get away from doing that if the sprockets still have decent flat lands at the tips of the teeth?

Front likely more worn than rear, best replace both & chain.  Look 4 "hook" profile on surface of teeth chain pulls against when accelerating, if they're mildly worn on that surface it's sometimes possible to turn them over & use the other ramp