VFR800F 8th Gen Fuel Tank Vacuum Problems

Skids

Easy answer to that one = Stuff all, seriously though, it's probably not too much more weight than an oil filter at a guess! OK maybe an oil filter full of oil thenwacko.gif.
Was hoping it weighed a bit more, but better than nothing. By the way, at first I couldn't find where to download the manual (because I was on the mobile site). Switched to my laptop and found it. Supposed to snow here tomorrow, so that will provide some entertainment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not as heavy as you'd think. Maybe 2 pounds, definitely less than 3. I did it mainly because it was annoying me and because now I can actually change my damn oil filter
Good point, I'll be changing my oil soon, so I'll use the opportunity to yank out the canister.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Had my bike out in the hot sun the other day (32-35 degC), and it started leaking petrol. The tank was about 20-25% full (so lots of air volume), and the bike was in full direct sunlight at about 11:30am, and had been since sun-up at 6am (southern hemisphere high summer). Thinking that it was a pressure-related issue with fuel leaking out the overflow pipe, I opened the petrol cap, and got a huge swoosh of positive pressure. The engine had been off since the evening before, so no residual running heat.

Anyone got any ideas about the cause (other than hot sun, of course). I would have thought the bike could handle hotter conditions without problems. Kinked breather pipe maybe? The leak stopped as soon as I moved the bike into the shade, and had released the pressure from the tank via the filler-cap.

• Member Contributer

Even if the breather was blocked a 1/4 full tank should NOT leak fuel as its below the level of the breather. Taht then begs the question of where was it leaking fuel from ? If the breather is blocked which is the normal escape route, then ut had to be coming from somewhere else, like the Fi lines, tank pump seal or worse from a tank seam !  I'd check the source of the leak IIWY.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, NZCam said:

Had my bike out in the hot sun the other day (32-35 degC), and it started leaking petrol. The tank was about 20-25% full (so lots of air volume), and the bike was in full direct sunlight at about 11:30am, and had been since sun-up at 6am (southern hemisphere high summer). Thinking that it was a pressure-related issue with fuel leaking out the overflow pipe, I opened the petrol cap, and got a huge swoosh of positive pressure. The engine had been off since the evening before, so no residual running heat.

Anyone got any ideas about the cause (other than hot sun, of course). I would have thought the bike could handle hotter conditions without problems. Kinked breather pipe maybe? The leak stopped as soon as I moved the bike into the shade, and had released the pressure from the tank via the filler-cap.

Hi Cam.

Agree with Mohawk here, not possible for a 25% full tank to exit fuel from the breather hose. Both tank Vaccum and Pressure are relieved through the Breather hose. Has your bike been recently serviced requiring work around the air box? If so it is vital that when the tank is lowered the breather slack is pulled through so it's not pinched. A pinched breather is going to allow high pressures when sun soaking and nasty vacuum whilst riding possibly in cooler conditions.

The lower three drain hoses are in an order of Breather front hose, Coolant Overflow middle hose and Fuel Filling Overflow the rear hose. Never heard of raw fuel exiting the Breather hose and I generally fill the bike to the max.

Perhaps you've had a major service done with a coolant replaced and a new air filter. So maybe it was some excess coolant overflow you saw and they have pinched your breather causing your pressure situation - Just a thought.

Cheers.

Grum.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived