2018 VFRD SUMSUM 4

didit

• Member Contributer

Hope some of you folks from BC bring some whiskey with you.....    Just sayin'.....  :-)

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Willy said:

Hope some of you folks from BC bring some whiskey with you.....    Just sayin'.....  :-)

Whiskey?  From BC?  What, just cause us Canadians tend to imbibe now and again.

Potentially some good rum for me but no whiskey.  Whiskey makes me . . . . . never mind. 

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, didit said:

Whiskey?  From BC?  What, just cause us Canadians tend to imbibe now and again.

Potentially some good rum for me but no whiskey.  Whiskey makes me . . . . . never mind. 

Rum is for the tropics. Whiskey for the mountains....   OK - I'm good either way....Not too picky....

• Member Contributer

Made reservations this am for Fred (huntinggunns) and I. All of the $99 rooms are booked up. We booked a king for $109. Looking forward to seeing old friends, meeting new friends, and seeing some beautiful countryside.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
On 12/13/2017 at 11:15 AM, didit said:

Warm to warmer.  Last year, we had a little rain (on the way there and 1 stormy night) but very comfortable.

(F) 80° - 90° during the day: Shorts & T shirts

50° - 57° during the evening: perhaps jeans & a light jacket/ long sleeve

If it's sunny - wear sun screen, hat & shades

If it rains - wear a jacket & shades

If it's cool - wear jeans, a jacket & shades

If it's hot - strip down to shorts & your shades

Thanks for the suggestions, but I was referring to riding temperatures.  I will be wearing ATGATT, which will not include shorts, t-shirts, jeans, Speedo's, flip flops, etc.  Are there significant elevation changes such that it will be 40 degrees on top of the mountain?  I'm new to the area.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, 007 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, but I was referring to riding temperatures.  I will be wearing ATGATT, which will not include shorts, t-shirts, jeans, Speedo's, flip flops, etc.  Are there significant elevation changes such that it will be 40 degrees on top of the mountain?  I'm new to the area.

Of course ATGATT  is the standard - no squid attire was implied - simply referencing after ride day was done.

Riding temp?  Nothing extreme in the way of AM/PM temp swings in SD, but when getting there (for us out West) a few mountain passes require a few thermal layers.

I always ride with layers.  Like an onion.  So I can peel my scarred emotions and stuff them deep down (in my luggage) only to return when tortured.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, didit said:

I always ride with layers.  Like an onion.  So I can peel my scarred emotions and stuff them deep down (in my luggage) only to return when tortured.

LOL.  So shall I.  I may try to squeeze in Utah or Colorado on the return trip so I will probably pack the cold weather stuff, too.  Is it July yet?

Randy (E-Ticket) and Susan (Flying Ant) are now booked at The Rocket Motel as well.   :cheerleader:

We'll be checking in on Monday, 7/9 .... through Thursday ... and rolling out on Friday, 7/13.

All I have to do now is go rob a bank for some travelin' funds and get the  momo's running again.    :^)
Cheers!

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Axel_7 said:

Didit are you suggesting a overflow hotel?

Located across the street, is the Chief Motel.  605.673.2318   www.chiefmotel.com

I have NOT spoken to them nor checked into this location, other than seeing they have a 4.5 star rating on google maps.

There is also a Best Western a ½ mile S on Mt Rushmore Rd.  605.673.2275.

Again, no knowledge on this location, other than a 3.9 rating on google maps.

• Member Contributer

The Chief looks like a good alternative . . . covered bike parking, bike cleanup supplies and towel provided and for $8 they'll  wash and fold a bag of laundry (or you can DIY it).    Hmmm . . .

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Cogswell said:

The Chief looks like a good alternative . . . covered bike parking, bike cleanup supplies and towel provided and for $8 they'll  wash and fold a bag of laundry (or you can DIY it).    Hmmm . . .

The laundry service is a few doors down, beside the Family Dollar at the 'Lost Sock'.  We used them last summer and yes, for $8 they wash/dry/fluff/fold.

In the new year I'll be updating the lead post with additional area details and working on the itinerary for the event.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Axel,  Great to see the early interest in the SS4.  I guess this means I really need to do this.

Now that the Christmas week is here, I'll be working on the event minutia including registration.

I'm not using PayPal anymore so I need to come up with new registration options.  Will most likely use Eventbrite again.

Last few times I paid a higher than expected amount due to currency exchange & bank fees.

I may have to seek out a US member to act as treasurer or something.

Been working on a logo.  Still needs tweaking.

Stay tuned in the coming week for the updates as I get them sorted.  Heck, I still need to figure out what I'll be riding  :wacko:  ???

• Member Contributer

Booked!

I've been a member since 05' but this will be my 1st VFRD ride.  I met some great VFRD folks as their ride took them thru Portland last year.  Looking forward to it!

• Like 5

• Member Contributer
On 1/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, grizfan said:

Booked!

I've been a member since 05' but this will be my 1st VFRD ride.  I met some great VFRD folks as their ride took them thru Portland last year.  Looking forward to it!

Think we maybe met you last summer in the Fossil, OR area?  Anyway, are you riding the Tuono out from Portland, or are you trailering?

• Member Contributer

Booked at the Chief Motel...no more rooms at the Rocket except for a family suite.  Tentative for me, but really want to make this happen if you guys can tolerate a stinky Yammie triple...Or if I ride out I might take the big V-Strom...decisions...

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, 2thdr said:

Think we maybe met you last summer in the Fossil, OR area?  Anyway, are you riding the Tuono out from Portland, or are you trailering?

That would be me:tongue:  It was cool to see the herd of VFR's stream into Fossil last year.  So this year I will be participating in the V4 orchestra with the Aprilia.

I haven't decided if I will be riding from Portland or trailering to LaGrande and riding from there.  I knock off almost 900 miles if I trailer to LaGrande.  The big Ape has a habit of eating rear tires and the latter option may save my bacon on this long of a trip.  The roads to LaGrande are great but I plan on covering those roads on a 3 day trip to LaGrande/Lewiston/Hell's Canyon/Baker City before the Sum Sum.  I'm coming up with around 3600 miles round trip not including 2 days riding in the SD area.

• Member Contributer

Would that be La Grande, Oregon? Isn't that only about 250 miles from you? I would be interested in trailering part way as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk