2018 VFRD SUMSUM 4

didit

• Member Contributer

Accuweather's long range forecast for the week is for sunny and mid '80s (high 20's for those of us that use deg C), but wow it's been cool and rainy in the Dakotas for several weeks - with liberal doses of strong thundestorms tossed in.  Fingers crossed that the WX forecasters have it right! 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/custer-sd/57730/july-weather/335526?monyr=7/1/2018

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Accuweather's long range forecast for the week is for sunny and mid '80s (high 20's for those of us that use deg C), but wow it's been cool and rainy in the Dakotas for several weeks - with liberal doses of strong thundestorms tossed in.  Fingers crossed that the WX forecasters have it right! 

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/custer-sd/57730/july-weather/335526?monyr=7/1/2018

From your mouth (and keyboard) to Mother Nature's ears. I'll cross my toes. :pinocchio:

• Like 1

You should all feel honored.   In anticipation of this event, I washed my motorcycle.   Cost me $5.40 at the car wash.  

Were any of you aware that the tire side of the swing arm is silver in color?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Member Contributer
51 minutes ago, Lee 2002 said:

You should all feel honored.   In anticipation of this event, I washed my motorcycle.   Cost me $5.40 at the car wash.  

Were any of you aware that the tire side of the swing arm is silver in color?

I'll be sure to wear my sunglasses. And besides, the future month looks bright.

• Member Contributer

Oh my gosh...finally got all my motels booked and return trip mapped out. Feeling anxious about this big trip with my kid. When it's just me or my wife and I, I still get pre-trip anxiety, but this is different. I need to chill and let her to take care of herself...ugh! At least there are no worries with the big dirt bike!3cdd64487d75376c559311ecb8f85ed2.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

I guess if I had this version of the FZ-09 we could have kept up with Axel_7...?21854.jpeg

• Member Contributer

This tangerine 🍊 rig is ready to go.  Why is July so far away still.  New sprockets, chain, tires and brake fluids.   Now only thing missing are Didits gps loops.  

FB2E69BE-1104-42B2-88B7-A0A228CA96C9.jpeg

• Like 6

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Axel_7 said:

Now only thing missing are Didits gps loops.  

Check post #1 in this thread and you should find them there.

May even get a few more done for some real short, little area gem rides

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, 2thdr said:

Oh my gosh...finally got all my motels booked and return trip mapped out. Feeling anxious about this big trip with my kid. When it's just me or my wife and I, I still get pre-trip anxiety, but this is different. I need to chill and let her to take care of herself...ugh! At least there are no worries with the big dirt bike!3cdd64487d75376c559311ecb8f85ed2.jpg

I always have pre trip anxiety - did I remember everything, what might happen . . . etc etc.  It all melts away once the wheels are rolling.  Time to enjoy! 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

I always have pre trip anxiety - did I remember everything, what might happen . . . etc etc.  It all melts away once the wheels are rolling.  Time to enjoy! 

Ditto.  And there is always the 34468Randy solution: The toolkit, spare tire, forgotten jacket, etc. in the form of a thin, wallet-sized plastic rectangle with your name and a bunch of numbers embossed on the front. 😉

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Belfry said:

Ditto.  And there is always the 34468Randy solution: The toolkit, spare tire, forgotten jacket, etc. in the form of a thin, wallet-sized plastic rectangle with your name and a bunch of numbers embossed on the front. 😉

Some of you may remember from the 60's a show, Have Gun Will Tra

avel" An old wester duster.  Well today it is "Have Credit Card Will travel"

Hey.  I should have started a television series.  I likely could have become rich and would be attending this road show after all.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, 34468Randy said:

Some of you may remember from the 60's a show, Have Gun Will Tra

avel" An old wester duster. 

That's still being re-run on Saturday mornings after "Trackdown".  Classics never die.  I think the same will be true of our VFR's. 

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 6/26/2018 at 4:37 PM, didit said:

Check post #1 in this thread and you should find them there.

May even get a few more done for some real short, little area gem rides

Tony,

I see a dozen of us have downloaded these.  They installed fine on my Garmin.  Thanks for providing 'em.  :fing02:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

For those interested in taking in the Minuteman Missile facility, I might recommend checking out their website prior to deciding to go that route.  It's spread out over a bit of distance - the visitor's center, Launch Control Center (LC) and an open silo.  The Launch Control center is an underground tour that requires advance reservations.  I did some searching on their website and it appeared that the LC tours are sold out for 7/11 and 7/12 (someone please double check me on that).   The silo doesn't appear to need a reservation - you look down in to the silo - no underground tour there.  The visitor center (VC) is a few more miles down the road at exit 131 - about 15 miles from the LC to VC.  The VC looks like it might be interesting.  There's also parking garage construction at both the LC and Silo so parking is limited - the latter sounds to be the most so - in the driveway only.  YMMV

https://www.nps.gov/mimi/planyourvisit/maps.htm

https://www.nps.gov/mimi/planyourvisit/vc-exhibits.htm

• Member Contributer

OK, how does that saying go?  "better never than late..."

I am packing up the tow rig on Saturday with 3-4 VFRs and 3 VFRD'ers and heading towards Custer.

As I read through this thread I see that I have missed several pacing items that required a response.  I will reach out to Tony when we arrive to see if there may be a spare beer or some such convenience.

Reserved my room on page one of this or the other thread but never confirmed.  Not used to such a thorough process. Looking forward to riding this area on a VFR instead of the F6B I went through there on my way home from Alaska on last year. 

Not sure if I will be bringing my bespoke 5th gen that fits like my favorite pair of jeans or the ToroCharged 6th gen which still needs some fuel injection tuning, an exhaust and to have Traxxion work their magic.  See you guys in a week.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, CornerCarver said:

OK, how does that saying go?  "better never than late..."

Careful where you're reaching out to.

I'll see if I can add a few more meals to the Thursday dinner.  There's always a beer to be found somewhere.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

This just in . . .

image.png.8adf1b2075661653b0010bf54d8a0732.png

Should be good.  Hitting the road Thurs AM and we'll see ya'll there next week.

Happy Independence Day Boys & Girls!!!

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

It pains me greatly to write this. I will not make the event this time around. Although it is not usually the case in the summer, I've suffered from chronic depression since adolescence. This past month or more I've had a relapse. I have no energy. 

I'm telling my self this is only for now. That it will pass. That I will travel by VFR again. Just not now.

I'll miss seeing all you folks greatly. I hope you have a great and accident free gathering.

Sadly, for now

Terry (Max not so Swell right now)

P.S. I've cancelled my reservation at The Rocket Motel. I hope this gives another participants to join the group lodging.   

• Sad 4

• Member Contributer

Very sorry to hear that - both your situation and that you won't be attending.  :sad:    It's a wise man that knows himself - best to pay attention to your state of being rather than push yourself too hard.   We'll make sure to have plenty of photos for you so that you can join vicariously!  :smile: 

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

It pains me greatly to write this. I will not make the event this time around. Although it is not usually the case in the summer, I've suffered from chronic depression since adolescence. This past month or more I've had a relapse. I have no energy. 

I'm telling my self this is only for now. That it will pass. That I will travel by VFR again. Just not now.

I'll miss seeing all you folks greatly. I hope you have a great and accident free gathering.

Sadly, for now

Terry (Max not so Swell right now)

P.S. I've cancelled my reservation at The Rocket Motel. I hope this gives another participants to join the group lodging.   

Dang it Terry,,, so sorry to hear this... take care of yourself ! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, didit said:

This just in . . .

…..  Should be good.  Hitting the road Thurs AM and we'll see ya'll there next week.

Happy Independence Day Boys & Girls!!!

While we're bummed we won't be with you guys this year … we are happy that you will have good weather.   :^)
Have too much fun … and remember:

"Here's to no tickets, no crashes, no fatalities …. forever and ever, amen."

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

Glad I get to ride one day with you guys...sad it's only one day... packed and ready to go 7am tomorrow.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1