2018 VFRD SUMSUM 4

didit

• Member Contributer

Thanks for picking up the room vfrcapn!  The hosts do appreciate us coming.

Just a last day reminder, the link for registration will be removed tomorrow.

I'll be finalizing the shirts, meals and such over the weekend and placing the order(s) on Monday.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, panamawing said:

finally came to my senses and registered!

Glad to hear this. The gathering would not have been the same w/o you. Hope I can keep up.

• Member Contributer

Added info about Rice Honda Suzuki coming on as our event Bike Shop sponsor.

They're providing a 35% discount for those who pre-order tires at least 2 weeks +, prior to the meet.

Also providing prizes for the event.

Not sure if we'll see them down in Custer, but for those taking advantage of this offer, you'll see their brand new shop (opening end of June).

Looks like a sweet place - pic to come later.

Thanks to everyone who registered and looking forward to wrapping up the final details.

Now, to get my bike working. . . . .

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, didit said:

They're providing a 35% discount for those who pre-order tires at least 2 weeks +, prior to the meet.

Does that make the deadline June 26th? 

• Member Contributer

22 hours ago, didit said:

Nothing like cutting it close.  Glad to have you!

18 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Glad to hear this. The gathering would not have been the same w/o you. Hope I can keep up.

Glad to be on board!  Look forward to seeing seeing old  and  meeting new friends.

you shouldn’t have an issue keeping up with me terry, just remember it is not a race and ride your own ride.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Cogswell said:

Does that make the deadline June 26th? 

Yes, that would be 2 weeks before the Tuesday.  I may suggest ordering early, also to book your install day/ time well in advance.

Rapid City is approx 50 N of Custer.  On the "Finding Nemo" route.  They should be in their new location by the end of June.

Pick whatever day suites you - arrival day / during the week / departure day.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, didit said:

Yes, that would be 2 weeks before the Tuesday.  I may suggest ordering early, also to book your install day/ time well in advance.

Rapid City is approx 50 N of Custer.  On the "Finding Nemo" route.  They should be in their new location by the end of June.

Pick whatever day suites you - arrival day / during the week / departure day.

My tires are good for the ride down and the day rides, but might be a little sketchy by the time I get home depending on how far I go in Colorado, Utah and Idaho.  I checked Rice's site, and their prices are comparable to FortNine and Rider's Domain with the 35 percent discount.  Any idea what they charge for balancing and installation?  Does the 35 percent discount apply to labour too? 🤔

• Member Contributer

Regrettably, I have to back out of this trip. I wrote off my truck and to get back into another vehicle is going to cost me more than I had thought.  Spending a lot of money for this trip at this particular time is just not wise.  Maybe next one.

• Sad 1

Well ….  crap.    
E-Ticket and The Flying Ant are getting kind of tired of the "it's your turn in the barrel."   😥

We had to bow out of the last VFR PNW rally due to getting our 1930's house's cinderblock foundation reinforced.
We are now bullet-proof and hopefully earthquake-'resistant.'    :^)
But it took MAJOR bucks to pull off.

Fast forward to 2018 and we were totally jazzed about SumSum4 in Custer!
(We went north after SumSum3 was over and did Custer/Rushmore/NeedlesHighway/Devil'sTower.  Had a total ball.)

We have a room reserved at the Rocket Motel and were so looking forward to seeing everyone again.

But.  BUT.    Gawd … life always seems to have a 'but' here and there.   :^(

After a major blockage, we have been informed that our main sewer line exiting the house is 80% blocked

by tree roots coming into the pipe joints.   Arrghhhh!!!
Worse yet?   Our main sewer line runs under a concrete wall and driveway/sidewalk.
Initial quote from one plumbing firm was $11,000 freeekin' US dollars to do a pipe burst/replacement.   😳  ….  😣…. 😭
We're hoping to get more bids so we can get the price down … but it's still going to hurt something awful.

So we have the time set aside for SumSum4 … but it looks like the funds for it are about to go bye-bye.  :^(

At this point, we are going to be a 'no-show.'    crapcrapcrapcrap.   ☹️

That being said -- we are not 'officially' throwing in the towel until later in June.
Because, hey …. miracles happen all the time, right?     :^)

At that point, we'll pull the plug … talk to y'all … and release our reserved room at the Rocket Motel in case someone wants
to grab it.

-- Randy et Stoosan

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer

I will also need to bail out of this event as my mom is in hospital and I need to stay around this part of the world for the summer and longer i hope .I have a room booked and if someone needs it please send me a pm so I can change it to your name .

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Belfry said:

Any idea what they charge for balancing and installation?  Does the 35 percent discount apply to labour too? 🤔

Great questions?  Perhaps you / or whom ever books first can ask and let us all know.

Cheers,

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, gmtech94 said:

I will also need to bail out of this event as my mom is in hospital and I need to stay around this part of the world for the summer and longer i hope .I have a room booked and if someone needs it please send me a pm so I can change it to your name .

Very sorry to hear that.  Best to your mom. 

• Member Contributer
On 12/13/2017 at 5:41 AM, 007 said:

What sort of temperatures are to be expected in this region at that time of year?

FWIW I feel I should chime in here just because. 🙂 South Dakota in mid-July can be extremely hot, the last time, okay

first and last time, I was there in mid-July I stopped for gas at a station in Spearfish. Shade can be scarce up in that area

at times so I was grateful for the station overhang. I checked out the thermometer and it read 106°. So be aware that

extreme temperatures can happen and stay hydrated. I was riding a 1971 Triumph Bonneville and I was waiting for the

darned thing to seize from over heating. But it didn't. 🙂

We usually travel up there in early June or late August, early September. And be patient with the Harley riders that are there

early before Sturgis, they aren't used to curves and I've followed some that were slower than the dump trucks following them.

🙂

Have fun.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

And be patient with the Harley riders that are there

early before Sturgis, they aren't used to curves and I've followed some that were slower than the dump trucks following them.

🙂

Have fun.

Those guys can make you feel like you got caught in the Rose Parade.   One run I made between  Red Lodge and Cook City, MT I finally started passing them in groups - sometimes 5 to 10 at a time.  I wasn't trying to be a jerk - but I just couldn't stand it any more - they would take corners marked 25 mph at 15 to 20 - just ridiculous.  The area from Custer north does look to have a lot of very tasty roads - there should be a lot of good ride reports coming. 

• Member Contributer

Yeah, riding behind a group of them on a semi-twisty road just seems like Christmas time, what with

all the flashing red lights. It will drive you bonkers.

Honest to gawd I did not make that up about the dump truck, only it was a garbage truck and he was

the first in a long line of traffic being held up by group of three or four Harleys that were slowing down

for every slight bend in the road. Crazy.

• Member Contributer

Event added to the official VFRD Calendar . . . of . . . events.

Feel free to RSVP, but the official count for shirts, meals and such are done at 33.

See ya'll in 1 month (today)!

• Like 3

Well … we have been waiting and hoping …. but NONE of our Powerball tickets have proven to be winners.
So, with the impending big bill ($8-11K USD) for our sewer main repair looming on the immediate horizon … E-Ticket and The Flying Ant 
are going to have to withdraw from SumSum4.    

Which just sucks.    :^(   We were so looking forward to seeing everyone again.

We have a room reserved at the host Rocket Motel from July 10-13.
We are going to be contacting the Rocket Motel on Tuesday/Wednesday to cancel our reservation and get our

first night deposit back.

Before doing so, I wanted to check to see if there are any VFRD peeps that wish to slide into our reservation room
before the Rocket Motel just frees it up for general use.

Please reply back as soon as you can -- as we will be pulling the plug on Wednesday, late afternoon.

Cheers!  -- RandyB

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer

Not sure if that will work.

Is there any room across the street or further down the road?

😀😀😀

• Haha 1

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

We cannot attend SumSum4 … and already have reservations at the Rocket Motel.
We will be cancelling our room on Wednesday afternoon and asking them to hold the room in Shade's name (another VFRD SumSum4 attendee).
Then Shade will call the Rocket, say howdy, they'll finalize the reservation in his name.

And Bob's your uncle.