2018 VFRD SUMSUM 4

didit

• Member Contributer

Bumping the thread - updated the first post with current details.

Tick tock for fence sitters.

• Member Contributer

Have to start booking a route home......   The wife is ready, Me not so much... But can't wait to see everybody, and see the area.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'm having mixed feelings...what started out as my yearly Moto getaway could be turning into something else entirely. I may have my sixteen year old daughter as pillion. That means I would have to bring the "big dirt bike"...ugh. I was so wanting to bring the Fizzer-09 to play with the VFR's...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'm in.  Will formally register today some time. Will ride out with the Lower Mainland group if they will have me. looking forward to it.  Will try to book at the Rocket in the event they had cancellations, but I see there are a few motels right close by if they are booked up. Travelling solo otherwise.  Wife has made it perfectly clear she will not get on a bike.

I haven't decided yet if I am returning with the group or finding my own way back. 

Do they have beer in South Dakota?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, Axel_7 said:

165 days till we start the bikes...

So i thought i would post our route to the event..

Right now we have 4 bikes leaving together. ( @Axel_7 , @Tammy, @jfviffer, @radar)

And @Veefer800Canuck In Wilbur

And @grizfan in Orofino. (thought @Willy could meet in Kooskia)

I will not be changing routes or dates, But if you want to catchup or tag along that would make the

caravan that much more fun. I will be creating GPS files of the routes if others want them.

Day 1    July 6  Langley to Wilbur (510 KM 7h )
Leave Friday Morning

https://goo.gl/maps/QytRFhmMTBG2  
Leave early and enjoy Lunch at the Old School House Pub in Winthrop.

http://www.willowsmotel.net/
1-509-647-2100

Day 2   July 7 Wilbur to Missoula (375 miles 7h 20m)
Leave Saturday morning
https://goo.gl/maps/2bMGE3drwMo

Stop and Do the Old Spiral Hwy a few times then on to the Lolo Pass.
https://www.redlion.com/missoula
 If you sign up for their rewards program you will save approx. $15 dollars off the booking.

Day 3   July 8 Missoula To Red Lodge (371 miles 6h 30m)
Leave Sunday Morning
https://goo.gl/maps/25kBztqGiUE2

Sucky day but we end up in Red Lodge and it’s a beautiful little town to relax.
https://www.redlodgeinnmt.com/
1-406-446-2030
Book this asap as there isn’t much avail in this town.

Day 4  July 9 Red Lodge to Sheridan (307 miles 6h 40m)
Leave Monday Morning
https://goo.gl/maps/d7yvgN4LfU52

Short day by Miles but long in time. As we have the Chief Joseph hwy with the Bear Tooth pass
And Lunch in Cody.
https://sheridanmillinn.com/

Day 5   July 10  Sheridan to Custer SD (223 miles 3h 50m)
Leave Tuesday Morning
https://goo.gl/maps/RKEt9m6GMXy

Short Day so we arrive at destination Early as everybody else should be arriving during the day.
http://www.rocketmotel.com/ 

I have attached Images of the routes as some viewing devices do not show the routes correctly because of seasonal closed roads.

@Thumper 8 

@DfnsMn69

@Cageless-in-Seattle

@Willy

@jimbob

@yycviffer

@choco

@2thdr

@E-Ticket

@BCAl

@Belfry

@Cogswell

@Sparrow75

@Bizbat

Day 1.jpeg

Day 5.jpeg

Day 4.jpeg

Day 3.jpeg

Day 2.jpeg

If I can, I will meet you guys in Sumas Washington at the Chevron and ride along with you.  I will book my hotels tonight.  I promise to behave.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 1/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, vfrcapn said:

Booked in at the Chief motel and registration submitted. Not sure which bike I'll be riding but looking forward to the trip!

Also booked at The Chief

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, 34468Randy said:

Travelling solo otherwise.  Wife has made it perfectly clear she will not get on a bike.

Her loss! 

Do they have beer in South Dakota?

Not once Sturgis is over . . . :ph34r:

2 hours ago, 34468Randy said:

I promise to behave.

Hmmm . . . and I thought these trips were all about connecting with one's inner hooligan! 

• Member Contributer

Probably not gonna make this after all.  Because track days.

• Sad 1

• Member Contributer
Probably not gonna make this after all.  Because track days.
Track days over an epic once every two years trip? I dunno...
Are you an instructor?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Still planning to make this trip on the RWB that I refurbished over winter. Still working out a few bugs and trying to get some miles on it to make all the critters are shaken off. I have a room at the Rocket. Also working on my own stamina. I'm not in bad shape but also have not done multiple days on a VFR for about 10 years. (My FJR is much more comfy). My wife is encouraging me to trailer over there. Me? NAH! Just muscle through the backpain. Makes a cold beer at the end of the day better anyway. 

Axel I indicated that I'd meet you guys on the west end of the Lolo Pass. At the moment I'm thinking about a more direct route to reduce the number of days on the road (I know - missing the whole point). I'll PM you a week prior with a go/no-go. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Cheers Ernie

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Willy said:

Still planning to make this trip on the RWB that I refurbished over winter. Still working out a few bugs and trying to get some miles on it to make all the critters are shaken off. I have a room at the Rocket. Also working on my own stamina. I'm not in bad shape but also have not done multiple days on a VFR for about 10 years. (My FJR is much more comfy). My wife is encouraging me to trailer over there. Me? NAH! Just muscle through the backpain. Makes a cold beer at the end of the day better anyway. 

Axel I indicated that I'd meet you guys on the west end of the Lolo Pass. At the moment I'm thinking about a more direct route to reduce the number of days on the road (I know - missing the whole point). I'll PM you a week prior with a go/no-go. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Cheers Ernie

Looking forward to it also. I've been cleaning the VFR up but I just don't think I can do a week on it anymore, I've gotten so used to the relaxed position on the Multi, I'll probably be on that. Looking forward to some road time!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I know what you mean. I'm just making a point to get riding multiple long day trips as a way to tune up the body....   Cheers!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Willy said:

I know what you mean. I'm just making a point to get riding multiple long day trips as a way to tune up the body....   Cheers!

Um, ya - I guess this would be a good idea. Haven't been on the bike since July last year.  Only 6 weeks to go.

The pressure feels like cramming for exams the night before.  Hoping to solve the non-starting issue this weekend and get out on some seat time.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
On 5/23/2018 at 7:55 PM, 2thdr said:

Track days over an epic once every two years trip? I dunno...
Are you an instructor?

No, but I did sign up for the season pass and the day I scheduled my flight out is the one day we run VIR Full Course.  It's proved difficult coordinating a bike there with my work schedule.  I'd pay a reasonably trustworthy rider to ride my bike from North Carolina to Miguel's place before the trip.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

I suppose this means I should really get serious about doing some maintenance.

Nah, you got plenty of time bro.

• Member Contributer

I just noticed....all my signature stamps have dissappeared. No wonder I tend to get lost these days. good thing i am arriving there with a group.  Could very well get lost again riding solo on my way back though. 

Getting all worked up about this.  Can't wait.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
No, but I did sign up for the season pass and the day I scheduled my flight out is the one day we run VIR Full Course.  It's proved difficult coordinating a bike there with my work schedule.  I'd pay a reasonably trustworthy rider to ride my bike from North Carolina to Miguel's place before the trip.
Ugh... sounds like a logistical nightmare.

• Member Contributer

So. I was wondering. What is the deal on the request for us to bring flags? Are you speaking of a large flag or a bumper staff type of flag? What are we going to be doing with them? I can bring one, even get a BC flag, if there is a reason. But travelling by bike, especially if you are packing for a 2 or 3 week tour, storage space is at a premium.  Though a flag would not take up much space, it does take up space. I would appreciate knowing more about this.

UFRRFlag1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, 34468Randy said:

So. I was wondering. What is the deal on the request for us to bring flags? Are you speaking of a large flag or a bumper staff type of flag? What are we going to be doing with them? I can bring one, even get a BC flag, if there is a reason. But travelling by bike, especially if you are packing for a 2 or 3 week tour, storage space is at a premium.  Though a flag would not take up much space, it does take up space. I would appreciate knowing more about this.

UFRRFlag1.JPG

Not to worry, we'll be well represented.  Pack a shirt instead of a flag and enjoy the adventure.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'm finally off the fence--just booked at the Chief and registered.  It's usually not clear to me how the summer will unfold until it gets closer.  But then again, I have managed to make the last two SumSums (didn't have a VFR for the first one), so it would be a shame to break the streak.  I'll most likely be tacking a week of vacation on to the end of the meet (as I have the last couple of times ...), so as before I'll have to slab it most of the way there.  Intercepting  the group headed south from Canada and the Pacific Northwest might still be possible for the last day or two.  Now to get the bike in shape and start envisioning the ride with some of Maxswell's "wild anticipation."  And thanks again to Tony for scouting and organizing! :beer:

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

Sadly, as one confirms another cancels.  I thought I had confirmed getting out of work commitments in mid-July, but sadly things have changed and I need to be here in town the third week of July (the 16th...) - so I cancelled my room (regular king bed) at the Rocket a few hours ago (Brenda sounds lovely on the phone!) and it is up for grabs.

Too bad - I was looking forward to catching up with some familiar faces, chasing down some VFR's and looking forward to stretching the legs on my new Tiger 1200 XCA  ... oh well :(

If any Vancouver area riders are planning on heading through the Kootenays on their first day and want some company as far as Nelson, let me know.

Ride safe everyone - and take lots of photos!

IMG_5.jpg

• Sad 3

• Member Contributer

And as one cancels , another one finally gets off the fence and confirms.  Brenda tells me that the Rocket Motel has one Queen room left and two family rooms left if anyone else  is out there trying to decide.