2018 VFRD SUMSUM 4

didit

• Member Contributer

165 days till we start the bikes...

So i thought i would post our route to the event..

Right now we have 4 bikes leaving together. ( @Axel_7 , @Tammy, @jfviffer, @radar)

And @Veefer800Canuck In Wilbur

And @grizfan in Orofino. (thought @Willy could meet in Kooskia)

I will not be changing routes or dates, But if you want to catchup or tag along that would make the

caravan that much more fun. I will be creating GPS files of the routes if others want them.

Day 1    July 6  Langley to Wilbur (510 KM 7h )
Leave Friday Morning

https://goo.gl/maps/QytRFhmMTBG2  
Leave early and enjoy Lunch at the Old School House Pub in Winthrop.

http://www.willowsmotel.net/
1-509-647-2100

Day 2   July 7 Wilbur to Missoula (375 miles 7h 20m)
Leave Saturday morning
https://goo.gl/maps/2bMGE3drwMo

Stop and Do the Old Spiral Hwy a few times then on to the Lolo Pass.
https://www.redlion.com/missoula
 If you sign up for their rewards program you will save approx. $15 dollars off the booking.

Day 3   July 8 Missoula To Red Lodge (371 miles 6h 30m)
Leave Sunday Morning
https://goo.gl/maps/25kBztqGiUE2

Sucky day but we end up in Red Lodge and it’s a beautiful little town to relax.
https://www.redlodgeinnmt.com/
1-406-446-2030
Book this asap as there isn’t much avail in this town.

Day 4  July 9 Red Lodge to Sheridan (307 miles 6h 40m)
Leave Monday Morning
https://goo.gl/maps/d7yvgN4LfU52

Short day by Miles but long in time. As we have the Chief Joseph hwy with the Bear Tooth pass
And Lunch in Cody.
https://sheridanmillinn.com/

Day 5   July 10  Sheridan to Custer SD (223 miles 3h 50m)
Leave Tuesday Morning
https://goo.gl/maps/RKEt9m6GMXy

Short Day so we arrive at destination Early as everybody else should be arriving during the day.
http://www.rocketmotel.com/ 

I have attached Images of the routes as some viewing devices do not show the routes correctly because of seasonal closed roads.

@Thumper 8 

@DfnsMn69

@Cageless-in-Seattle

@Willy

@jimbob

@yycviffer

@choco

@2thdr

@E-Ticket

@BCAl

@Belfry

@Cogswell

@Sparrow75

@Bizbat

Day 1.jpeg

Day 5.jpeg

Day 4.jpeg

Day 3.jpeg

Day 2.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Registration link has been added to lead thread post.  The registration must be accessed from a computer, NOT a phone or tablet.

If you have trouble with the link, or have any other questions regarding the registration, please PM me, so as not to overload the meet thread.

I'll be adding more stuff, like day ride download page & gps files, meals, and shirt details as they become available.

• Member Contributer

Axel, thanks for all the planning. It looks like a great route. As noted Kooskia is a great spot for me to link up with you guys. I'll go ahead and book rooms as suggested. Looking forward to this. 

Didit, I'll look for the registration and get that taken care of. 

Thanks to you both! Cheers!

• Member Contributer

A route suggestion for the East Siders across the Northern Plains:

Starting from Sioux City IA going west take US 20 to Willis NE, then follow state highway 12 to Valentine NE. That is all I know of this route, Valentine being my destination before heading south. It is called the Outlaw Trail Scenic Byway. 

MotorMike and I took this route on the way to the last SumSum. Quite a scenic two-lane.

And for the high-speed-road-of-your-life (at least in the middle USA) find highway 97 south from Valentine to at least Mullen (~ 75 mi). This road goes through the Sand Hills area of NW Nebraska. Dune-tops are ~ 1 mi apart, with fabulously open sight lines ( nothing along that stretch grows more that 2 ft tall). While I'd never contemplate doing so, it could easly be a 90mph - 120mph ride. There are virtually no intersecting roads and no traffic. I've ridden that road many times without seeing more than a few other vehicles. Only well-fenced grazing cows. The normally staid MotorMike, after leading the pair of us all the way,  exclaimed to me at the end of the route "THAT WAS THE BEST RIDE EVER!"  or something along those lines.

If not this trip, this is a Bucket List worthy road. And it continues south from Mullen. More of the same.    

• Member Contributer

I'm planning on going this summer, as it should only be about a 6 hour ride for me.  Guess I'll need to start searching for another motel though, if I'm going to get a single room.

• Member Contributer

Maybe a few brave souls should 'dorm' up with the last few family rooms.

Yes, it's stepping out of your zone, but that's how great friendships start.

Besides saving some $$$, most every VFRD member I've met is a good egg.

Just .02¢ worth.

• Member Contributer

All of our reservations are made and registration forms filled out at this time. This will be our itinerary if anyone wants to catch up along the way. We will be using the bike trailer and will have room in the truck if anyone needs some thing hauled up there. Saturday, July 7th we are traveling from Oklahoma City to Cozad, NE. Sunday, July 8th we will travel from Cozad, NE to Custer, SD and arrive at the Rocket motel. We only have a king in our room but I bet we could do a cot if someone needs a place to crash. Monday, July the 9th we will be traveling from Custer, SD to Baker, MT and eventually ending up in Bowman, ND. Tuesday, July 10th we will be traveling from Bowman, ND back to Custer to start meeting up with Sum Sum arrivals. We are going to catch MT. Rushmore and a couple of other attractions while in the area before the official meet starts. If anyone needs any help transporting things or anything at all, just let us know. See everyone soon.

• Member Contributer

Great to see all the early interest and registrations coming in.

A big part of choosing Custer & SD as the destination was the monuments in the area, giving a chance to see some incredible sites, perhaps even bucket list items.

The day rides include stops at some of the most known, with time for getting off the bike, checking them out, taking pics.

Of course, there are a bunch of cool, little back roads and smaller vistas to search and enjoy.

I'll be providing a list & route(s) to many of these, some you may know, some you may be surprised to see. 

Here are links to the day ride routes I have so far.  I'll be creating GPS files as well (through TYRE) and making them available too.

Finding Nemo

The Devil's Day

Please note:  The route(s) may change slightly, as certain roads are currently closed (seasonal) and will show accessible in late spring.

Plus, there will be maps.  Ya'll know I like maps.  So ya, there will be maps.  Big Maps? Pocket Maps? Fold-able Maps? Plastic Maps?  MAPS!!!

As usual, we'll arrange for groups of 8-10 with leaders/sweepers.

Devil's Day.PNG

Finding Nemo.PNG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

If Topeka, Kansas works as a waypoint for your trip coming or going to Custer, let me know.  

I have a bed or two available and am pretty handy with grilling food.

Same with coming through Wichita, Kansas. Although I cannot right now offer grilling of foods. I can do the stoving of foods. Or Braum's. Braum's is tasty!

Timing when I can leave is up in the air, but chances are I will be around this here ol' DooDah when some of you may be making your way up there.

• Member Contributer

Two more added to the list.  Still waiting for Spring to load, as daylight savings is now in effect.

Hope to have final logo & shirt designs completed this month.

The meal menu is done.  Still working on a few 'things' and the swag bag.

13 hours ago, didit said:

Two more added to the list.  Still waiting for Spring to load, as daylight savings is now in effect.

Hope to have final logo & shirt designs completed this month.

The meal menu is done.  Still working on a few 'things' and the swag bag.

Thanks Tony! 

PS: Dolly said you never call? 

71E023A9-5451-4F08-AC24-B3AAD101390C.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Registered and anxiously waiting for the snow around here to melt away.  We had near blizzard conditions a week ago, so it'll be a little while until I can get the bikes out.

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Veefer800Canuck said:

Thanks Tony! 

That was a sheep and nasty 1 night stand.  She herd I was passing through, wanting a relationsheep.

I wasn't going to pull the wool over her eyes.  Between ewe and me, it was shear inhibition then I hoofed it out there.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Veefer800Canuck said:

Thanks Tony! 

71E023A9-5451-4F08-AC24-B3AAD101390C.jpeg

Now we all have a picture of you with a goat,, and you will pay heavily later!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Booked a room today at the Chief Motel.  It finally got into decent riding weather this weekend, so I finally got the bikes out!

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, didit said:

That was a sheep and nasty 1 night stand.  She herd I was passing through, wanting a relationsheep.

I wasn't going to pull the wool over her eyes.  Between ewe and me, it was shear inhibition then I hoofed it out there.

"He's my da-a-aaa-aaaaa--dddd ...."