2018 VFRD SUMSUM 4

didit

• Member Contributer

Yup.  La Grande, Oregon.  You are correct, the trip down I-84 isn't very long.  I have a preferred route through Oregon that zig zags thru the state that hits some amazing roads and it is about a 440 mile day.  Key towns are Shaniko, Fossil, Spray, Ruggs, Heppner and Ukiah.  In fact, that is the trip I was on last year when I ran into your group in Fossil last summer.

Americas Best Hotel in La Grande has always been more than generous with leaving vehicles in their lot for a week at a time.  PM me and I can give you more details of my route.  Might be meeting up with some other VFRDs in Western Montana.  (No details yet).

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, grizfan said:

That would be me:tongue:  It was cool to see the herd of VFR's stream into Fossil last year.  So this year I will be participating in the V4 orchestra with the Aprilia.

I haven't decided if I will be riding from Portland or trailering to LaGrande and riding from there.  I knock off almost 900 miles if I trailer to LaGrande.  The big Ape has a habit of eating rear tires and the latter option may save my bacon on this long of a trip.  The roads to LaGrande are great but I plan on covering those roads on a 3 day trip to LaGrande/Lewiston/Hell's Canyon/Baker City before the Sum Sum.  I'm coming up with around 3600 miles round trip not including 2 days riding in the SD area.

Or Meet us in Orofino ID  and Ride from that location.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, grizfan said:

Yup.  La Grande, Oregon.  You are correct, the trip down I-84 isn't very long.  I have a preferred route through Oregon that zig zags thru the state that hits some amazing roads and it is about a 440 mile day.  Key towns are Shaniko, Fossil, Spray, Ruggs, Heppner and Ukiah.  In fact, that is the trip I was on last year when I ran into your group in Fossil last summer.

Americas Best Hotel in La Grande has always been more than generous with leaving vehicles in their lot for a week at a time.  PM me and I can give you more details of my route.  Might be meeting up with some other VFRDs in Western Montana.  (No details yet).

IMO that's the best riding in Eastern Oregon - a can't miss.   There's so much of it between here and there - doing all those and other side routes between here and SD could add nearly a week to the trip.  So many roads - so little time! 

• Member Contributer
On 1/11/2018 at 5:10 PM, Axel_7 said:

That would work for me.  I was planning on going thru Orofino and heading up the Lochsa with my destination being Missoula that day.  I was going to throw in some side routes in the Orofino/Kamiah area too.  Old Idaho 7, Greer Grade and Kamiah-Nezperce Grade.  They are just 5-10 mile up-and-backs.

Feel free to pm me with your route and we can work it out.  I have something roughed out with stops being Missoula and Red Lodge/Billings, but I am not set in stone after Missoula.

• Member Contributer

I just sent my rough route to Darren and Rob this morning.  We will see what they say.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, 007 said:

What is the recommended route across the Great Plains?

:schla15:

Depends, You can go through lower KY and find some decent two lane back roads through the Southern Illinois and across the Mississippi but then you have to get north through Iowa and across SD or you can find some two lane roads along the rivers across Tennessee then tap dance the Arkansas/Missouri to take the beat down of Northern OK or Southern KS before heading to higher ground north through Colorado.

I will probably head out one way and back the other.  After 6 weeks and 15,612 miles to get from SC to Artic Circle and back this past summer I am just looking forward to hanging with the VFRD Peeps again.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

Depends, You can go through lower KY and find some decent two lane back roads through the Southern Illinois and across the Mississippi but then you have to get north through Iowa and across SD or you can find some two lane roads along the rivers across Tennessee then tap dance the Arkansas/Missouri to take the beat down of Northern OK or Southern KS before heading to higher ground north through Colorado.

I will probably head out one way and back the other.  After 6 weeks and 15,612 miles to get from SC to Artic Circle and back this past summer I am just looking forward to hanging with the VFRD Peeps again.

I'm really thinking about a ship / fly on the way out due to limited time, but we could definitely take the long way home over a couple of days.

• Member Contributer
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Axel_7 said:

Hmmm...  Orofino..  I may ride up from Boise and meet up for the ride across Hwy 12. I'll stay tuned.

3 hours ago, 007 said:

I'm really thinking about a ship / fly on the way out due to limited time, but we could definitely take the long way home over a couple of days.

I hear ya' man!  All that crap between you and the good stuff.  If you want to ship your bike to my place in Topeka, you can start from here and take in the glorious 700 miles that Kansas and Nebraska have to offer on the way to Custer.   I'll have your tires aired up for you on arrival.

I would like to start a high-level conversation as to what the OK, NE crews are planning. (Fred, Lisa, Gary, Mike)   For very personal reasons, my route up will take me through North Platte, NE as I want to get my photo on a street that is named after me that I have never had the opportunity to visit.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

I want to get my photo on a street that is named after me that I have never had the opportunity to visit.

I'm dying to know what that street is called?  So many of your aliases are running through my mind.

I'll be checking your cell for the pic when you arrive!

1 hour ago, didit said:

I'm dying to know what that street is called?  So many of your aliases are running through my mind.

I'll be checking your cell for the pic when you arrive!

My given name as printed on my birth certificate, first and last.  Serious, not a joke.

I've only ever seen it on the google machine -

image.png.af79f32f0fb0ca13fa8569001431e4bd.png

Well, as luck would have it, my original statement holds true. I wasn't sure if I'd be going in spite of already booking the hotel room, and, I won't be attending after all. 

That will free up one room at the hotel if someone is still interested. I'll contact the hotel today and let them know.

I hope everyone has a great ride and time. 

Mike

• Sad 3

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

Well, as luck would have it, my original statement holds true. I wasn't sure if I'd be going in spite of already booking the hotel room, and, I won't be attending after all. 

That will free up one room at the hotel if someone is still interested. I'll contact the hotel today and let them know.

I hope everyone has a great ride and time. 

Mike

You are going to be missed SFOM. I was looking forward to hanging with you again. I'll have to catch you later in CA. It is my favorite riding destination.

• Member Contributer
On 1/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, Lee 2002 said:

I hear ya' man!  All that crap between you and the good stuff.  If you want to ship your bike to my place in Topeka, you can start from here and take in the glorious 700 miles that Kansas and Nebraska have to offer on the way to Custer.   I'll have your tires aired up for you on arrival.

I would like to start a high-level conversation as to what the OK, NE crews are planning. (Fred, Lisa, Gary, Mike)   For very personal reasons, my route up will take me through North Platte, NE as I want to get my photo on a street that is named after me that I have never had the opportunity to visit.

I appreciate the offer, but I'm probably looking more for shipping it to the hotel in Custer on either July 9th or 10th with a VFRD member accepting delivery.  Then on the evening of the 10th or morning of the 11th either getting a ride from the airport to the hotel or having someone ride the bike to me at the airport and then 2-up back to the hotel.  I can think of a few yahoos who would enjoy the latter.

On 1/13/2018 at 4:29 PM, Lee 2002 said:

If you want to ship your bike to my place in Topeka, you can start from here and take in the glorious 700 miles that Kansas and Nebraska have to offer on the way to Custer. 

A superb idea, Lee :)

• Member Contributer

I hear the Colorado route is pretty good.  I think someone important on this forum lives out there.  Who would that be?  Hmmm.

• Member Contributer

There is 1 Queen room and 2 family suites left at the Rocket.  Otherwise, we have pretty much the whole place for the SUMSUM.

Anyone on the fence or looking at the Chief across the street - now is your chance to book into the Rocket Motel.

All events & festivities will be hosted on the back patio/ Gazebo at the Rocket.  Everything is within walking distance.

Worked on the daily ride route options for Wed & Thursday.

Have Thursday nights dinner booked - menu pending.

Trying to figure out a registration means, trying to avoid the fees at Eventbrite to stretch every dollar.

Logo is in final design stages.

Starting to evaluate shirt types, colours, etc.

Expanding on (ehem) other things for the event to be memorable.

Route from BC is done.  We'll be arriving late Sunday, so as to have Monday to prep all the stuff for ya'll to start rolling in Tuesday.

• Member Contributer

Thought we could copy and paste the list so far to keep track of who is coming...

Didit  - Tony

CVVVFR - Craig

Axel_7 - Derek

Tammy - Tammy

Qdawg - Quesnnel

Dragonfly - Erin

Dfnsmn69 - Mike

Veefer800Canuck - Rob

Lee2002 - Lee

CornerCarver - 

Cageless-In-Seattle - Kevin

007 - SE Sand

GSwanson - Gary

Willy - Ernie

JimBob -

JViffer - Jeff

YYCViffer & Buddy

Huntinggunns - Fred

Ycfr - Lisa

Maxwell -

GMTech94 -

E-Ticket - Randy

Flying Ant - Susan

Thumper8 - Tony (bikeless)

Radar - Darren & Sam

Choco - Lee

BCAI -

Grizfan - Craig

2thdr - Steven

Rangemaster - Tim

HispanicSlammer - Miguel

Vfrcapn

33 Booked so Far.   So get the hotel booked up across the street..

Not sure if some are looking for Roommates for the rooms booked or not?

PLEASE make sure to go to the Top of this thread and Register with Didit.

Others that have shown some interest but havnt yet get-er done... (sorry i dont know all the names will update later)

Randy Friar

Benjamin Ealy

Jen Anne Marie

Ronimalvfr - Ron

Belfry

VFR Capt.Bob

Tightwad - Josh

Cogswell - Curry

ZiaVfr - Paul

Motormike - Mike?

OOYeller

Mikey - Mike?

Bizbat - James Landon

Im sure I am missing some names... Ill come and edit this list if others book up.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:44 PM, MaxSwell said:

You are going to be missed SFOM. I was looking forward to hanging with you again. I'll have to catch you later in CA. It is my favorite riding destination.

Indeed. Really enjoyed your company at the meet last summer, too. Our paths will cross again. :)

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 1/15/2018 at 5:24 PM, didit said:

Starting to evaluate shirt types, colours, etc.

Please do performance sweat wicking! 

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, 007 said:

Please do performance sweat wicking! 

Please do breathing cotton to keep us Kool. ;)