Lost the Love

• Member Contributer

I lost that lovin feelin for my last motorcycle. Didn't ride it for two years. 

Then I bought my VFR and I try to ride every chance I get. Like today. 

I've watched quite a few motorcycle friends come and go.  It usually happens to riders who have life-changing situations--new family, different job, different location, physical injury, and/or just a change of attitude & perspectives.

Personally, I'm the opposite.  I have no idea what I would do with myself without my motorcycle passion.  I still manage to spend time with my wife while still enjoying my hobby so that helps a lot.  I enjoy spending quality time with both equally.    It's actually more time with my wife, which I'm fine with.  In the meantime she is fine with me going out and riding on my own.  I also commute to work daily.  Every day is a fun ride.  

Happy Anniversary to this thread. In April sold the '03 Tuono, and the Monster is my only bike since then.

Less maint is great, I am happy with 1 bike, for now. Does not hurt that it is an awesome fun bike to ride, with silly power.

It's a love, a passion, an addiction, a bug that bit me when I was in grade school.

If heaven is the cure, I wanna stay here in Hell with you and you and you!

Cue Ronnie James Dio. 😁

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just tripped across this thread again.  I don't ride near as much but still have a very functional and perfect specimen of an 8th gen. in the garage and it's the fast color of course..  I'm determined to go on a 4 day Spring ride in 2019 either alone or with someone (MaxSwell, Sweeper, etc....are you listening).  I used to do it every Spring once or twice when the weather forecast wasn't wet.  I can do cold better than wet.  

2018 was a year of the most major kind surgery there is for the better half and three shoulder surgeries for me.  Neither mixes with VFR riding very well but that's behind us.  Besides real work, I'm working in the gym twice a week with a personal trainer, swimming laps, and riding a new Trek bicycle.  All that should add up to better VFR riding.  I'm sitting here in crappy damp weather off for the New Year break and kind of getting that riding feeling again.  I don't need another 2018.  I need another good night's sleep after riding Hwy. 28, the Cherohala, 360, and The Gap provided the circus isn't on it.  I can tell what this dialogue is leading up to on a damp day.             

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Bent said:

Just tripped across this thread again.  I don't ride near as much but still have a very functional and perfect specimen of an 8th gen. in the garage and it's the fast color of course..  I'm determined to go on a 4 day Spring ride in 2019 either alone or with someone (MaxSwell, Sweeper, etc....are you listening).  I used to do it every Spring once or twice when the weather forecast wasn't wet.  I can do cold better than wet.  

2018 was a year of the most major kind surgery there is for the better half and three shoulder surgeries for me.  Neither mixes with VFR riding very well but that's behind us.  Besides real work, I'm working in the gym twice a week with a personal trainer, swimming laps, and riding a new Trek bicycle.  All that should add up to better VFR riding.  I'm sitting here in crappy damp weather off for the New Year break and kind of getting that riding feeling again.  I don't need another 2018.  I need another good night's sleep after riding Hwy. 28, the Cherohala, 360, and The Gap provided the circus isn't on it.  I can tell what this dialogue is leading up to on a damp day.             

Thanks for reviving this great thread Bent!  I hope you and your better half continue to fully recover from your surgeries - sounds like you've got an excellent exercise routine going so you should be back to 100% in no time.  I broke my leg about 5 years ago which set me back for a long time but I feel like I'm currently back in the best shape of my life.  I go to the gym every other day and on off days I either swim, run on a treadmill, or use a stationary or real bike weather permitting (I also have a Trek!) for cardio.  If I could only cut back on the fast food - LOL

Anyway, after reading about BillyJackJimBob's and SebSpeed's situation I can kind of relate - especially to Billy's preference to take his vert over his motorcycle - same thing happened to me over the last year after I bought my vert.  However, before giving up on two wheels I would suggest that they look into the virtues of a 150cc class scooter like the Honda PCX 150 or the Yamaha SMAX.  Scooters have come a long way recently and each of these models is more than capable of putting a huge 2 wheeled grin on your face and can easily handle two-up riding as well, all while enjoying a more relaxed riding position - and at roughly 300 pounds, they don't require the same level of physical conditioning that riding a 500 pound motorcycle requires.  Here's a vid review of my recently acquired Yamaha SMAX - I'm taking it to the gym in the next 10 minutes and I can hardly wait 😀

• Member Contributer

Thanks Gator. Scooters are getting more common everywhere it seems.  I plan to get my old body in the best shape it will take.  Some people here know that riding in the Smokies can kick one's butt if not in decent shape.  There used to be some high miles rolled up at TMAC days.  I haven't been in a long long time.  I'll be in the area before it anyway this year is out.  

• Member Contributer
On 12/30/2018 at 2:51 PM, Bent said:

I'm listening, with both hampered ears. I've an itch building up that is now impossible to stratch up here in The Land Of Interesting Weather. Rain, snow, ice and no sun had made this the Dec. from H E double L.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

I'm listening, with both hampered ears. I've an itch building up that is now impossible to stratch up here in The Land Of Interesting Weather. Rain, snow, ice and no sun had made this the Dec. from H E double L.

I got home last night from a trip to South Carolina and in 850 miles both ways, I doubt we were on more than 50 miles of dry road.  It was miserable.  Welcome to winter in the Southeast.  

180 miles today to ring in the new year.

I could use some heated gloves. 45F with an 80 mph wind chill is FFF cold.

Great day otherwise. 

100_7501.JPG

• Member Contributer
On 1/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, VFR4Lee said:

180 miles today to ring in the new year.

I could use some heated gloves. 45F with an 80 mph wind chill is FFF cold.

Great day otherwise. 

100_7501.JPG

Wish I was there. So envious. Were in for a warming trend here in The Land Of Interesting Weather. 40F is possible! Come on spring!

Until a month ago, I hadn't ridden since, I think, TMAC 2012. Moved to Colorado in 2012, had problems getting the bike plated, put it on the back burner, got into other hobbies. A couple months ago, my co-workers egged me back into riding, however my VFR has developed lots of wiring problems in those years of down time. I picked up a 2018 Tuono on 9/8 and put 3000 miles on it since.

I just logged in to VFRD for the first time in a long time as well, since I had a new PM notification from 2013. Good to see a lot of old friends in this thread.

Plating a problem in CO?
What exactly were the problems seeing that I’m going to have my bike there in about 18 months for good, California plated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived