VTEC Downshift

litigatin

Hi!  I picked up a brand new 2014 VFR800F, zero miles, about a month ago.  I've wanted an Interceptor since the early 90s, but I always ended up buying a different bike for some reason; the deal was too good to pass up, so I finally pulled the trigger.  I've since broken it in, bought and keyed factory panniers, and installed a slip on.  I do most of my own servicing, but I did have the dealer do the first service.

Anyway, as I was riding to work this morning I thought about something that had never occurred to me with any other bike (I suppose, because I've never owned a bike with VTEC before; had cars with VVT, though, but that's still kind of different): is there any reason to treat the bike any differently when downshifting?  Mainly, if I am riding in a gear at an engine speed below the switchover point, and I blip the throttle and downshift to a point where it is then above the switchover point, is there potentially any issue?  I can't seem to think of one, given that it's just opening 8 more valves, but was wondering, and figured y'all would be far better informed than I.  Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Screen-shot-2013-07-24-at-11.53.19.png

Love it Gator, had me giggling for a while.LOL.

Cheers.

Agree with Thumbs, just treat it like a normal engine. The 4 valve transition is a lot better on the 8gen than previous gens. The VTEC system (not variable valve timing) has been proven to be very reliable, wether you like it or not is a personal thing.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, Grum said:

Love it Gator, had me giggling for a while.LOL.

Cheers.

Agree with Thumbs, just treat it like a normal engine. The 4 valve transition is a lot better on the 8gen than previous gens. The VTEC system (not variable valve timing) has been proven to be very reliable, wether you like it or not is a personal thing.

LOL, yeah there are a TON of funny VTEC memes on google images but I thought that was by far the best one!  Here's some more good ones :tongue:

nwtco-559c4f0e538d6.jpg

vtec-kicked-in-and-came-memegenerator-co

87ef1b60a3f0bf4de93686d2bf76496c.jpg

image.jpg

Archived