Zero Gravity double bubble installed

VFROZ

• Member Contributer

After lots of years debating the merit of a double bubble screen, I finally installed one   

It is fantastic, I can now ride with visor up until 120kmh. 

Im 5'7" and I ride with clear prescription glasses and my internal tinted visor down on my Shark Spartan if sunny. 

I always had an issue with noise and crap in my helmet if I rode with visor open. 

I wish I had done this years ago. 

IMG_3540.JPG

• Member Contributer

That looks really nice, Oz. A decent screen makes a world of difference, I rode 380km on my ST1100 on Saturday, and had barely a bug on my visor. After 250km on my 800 today, I could barely see through the mass of little corpses.

Where did you get the screen?

• Member Contributer

Fleabay, AU$130 with shipping from the USA.

Wanted clear, but no luck unless I paid a lot more.

I can't belive the difference, my inner tinted visor came back with just a few small bugs after a 200km ride today.

Didn't notice until I got home that I never once pulled down the main visor. It is actually fine until 140kmh.

I still get plenty of ventilation, but no buffeting.

Took me all of 10 minutes to install, went straight in first go, easy peasy.

• Member Contributer

I recently purchased a DB touring screen. I think it deflects the wind slightly too high for me. I'm 5'9" with Helibars and the wind hits me right in the chin now.

I gotta say. The quality of the DB screen is quite shitty in my opinion. I had a National Cycle brand screen on my 4th gen and it fit perfectly and was rock solid.
The Double bubble is real thin and flimsy when compared to the Factory screen and the National Cycle one. It also doesn't fit very well.

I'm super disappointed in it. Especially considering the $$

• Member Contributer

...and this bit of rubber finished it off I think.

It just looked like it was missing something.

The ZG screen is much thinner then the original, but I had no problems with it, fitted in first go without any bending or force, and there is no play or vibrations.

And for me it works a lot better then stock.

IMG_3552.JPG

IMG_3554.JPG

• Member Contributer

I have the DB screen on my 98. It seems to work ok to me, I can tell that my head is in the wind but it doesn't buffet too badly. I have read that the ZG Touring windscreen works even better, can anyone confirm? I am on the tall side 6'2", and don't have a much of a frame of reference since my main experience is on older naked bikes (CB750F's). 

• Member Contributer

I have ridden a buddies 99 VFR800 with a ZG touring screen and in comparison with my bike, a 2000 VFR800with a ZG double bubble, the difference IMHO was negligible.  A bit less buffeting and helmet noise at 80-100 km/h but above that not much change.  My wife however, said that if she was riding with me, the Touring screen made her ride a little more noisy as it changed the position at which she encountered the turbulent air.  

Ive recently switched to an MRA touring screen with the adjustable lip spoiler and it is far and away THEE best screen I have EVER had on my VFR.  Even at highway speeds the wind and buffeting hitting my helmet is all but gone.  As a result the airflow around and over my helmet is much smoother and quieter. My wife has also mentioned that the air, even behind me is much less turbulent and her helmet noise is greatly reduced.  

It can be hard to compare bikes and windscreens as everyone’s bike is a bit different.  For comparisons sake my bike has a Sargent seat, Heli-Bars, a CBR929 shock sourced from Daugherty Motorsports, front forks are raised up through triples about 5mm (front end is a bit lower) and as for me, I’m 6’-1” in height.  

The MRA is certainly more expensive than the ZG double bubble or touring screen, but again,  IMHO, the difference in cost is well worth the extra expense.  The MRA screen is also comparable in thickness and fit to the stock screen.  It’s hard to tell from the photo, but the screen is actually tinited, though lightly, and is completely opaque in the lower area from the bottom vent hole above the headlight to the area about level with the top of the dash plastic. 

18F6C35A-B6E4-41B5-B6CD-FDB44E8BE85E.jpeg

Archived