Coolant from overflow tank

ScottSturgis

I put an '85 VF500 back on the road last year. Did a full tune up, all fluids, all the normal "sitting bike" stuff. The radiator was removed and flushed. The drain plugs on the cylinders were pulled at that time, etc. Filled and "burped" the radiator, checked again after the first long ride and topped off coolant to the marks in the overflow tank, per the manual.

Bike looks and runs great. Fan works, no signs of over-heating ever. I put several hundred miles on it with no issues. A couple of months ago I rode up to a breakfast meet. Long trip on the highway. Just after I arrived...about enough time to remove helmet and gloves...there was coolant coming out of the overflow hose. I thought it was odd, but figured the long stretch of highway had something to do with it, maybe?

Rode a couple hundred more miles over the next few weeks. At least a few tanks of gas. Last night, I rode up to a local bike night and the same thing happened again. Removed seat and side cover and checked and the overflow bottle eventually found a level; maybe a quarter inch above the "LOW" mark. 

Did I miss something? Is it just "finding it's level"? Is there a bleeder or anything to remove excess pressure from the system? Why the two random "pukes" from the coolant tank?

Archived