Blown hi-beams

jaydj

Curious about your experience here -- my 2000 VFR seems to eat high beams.  The usually go every 2-4 months, and recently I found out at dusk when I realized I had no hi's.  I have tried stock and aftermarket, and have been mostly been using Sylvania 9003/H4 Silverstar Ultra 12.8V,55/60W bulbs ($55.00/set at Autozone, ouch).  Anyone have insight here?  Any help to getting longer life appreciated.  Thanks.

• Member Contributer

In most cases, failing bulbs are caused by bad earths, or overheating.

Overheating can be caused by too high a wattage bulbs (not yours), or even headight protectors.

Bad earth is the most common cause, check your connections, and most importantly your earth block located in the harnes near the RR (left rear of bike), this is a common fail point on 5th gens.

A tell tale sign of a bad earth block is the FI light coming on and off lightly with your blinkers.

• Member Contributer

Just to add to VFRFOZ's good advice. I've always used Long Life H4's or anything that is a ruggedised form of H4's as these have a better filament arrangement that is less prone to failure from vibration. The ones I've used that work well are Philips Lifetime x4 Long Life EcoVision 60/55w H4's.

The other thing is to ensure your charging voltage hasn't for some reason gone high - anything over say 15v is reason for concern.

Cheers.

Archived