Front brake uneven wear

Normand

• Member Contributer

Hi all,

Changed my tires on bike with 16k km,

I noticed that the left side caliper brake pads, the 2 bottom pads on exterior side are worn to base plate.

Interior side is OK with plenty of meat left, same as right caliper all pads are worn equal with plenty of material left.

What could cause this extreme uneven wear to exterior side of caliper.

All pistons in calipers seems to work fine.

• Member Contributer

I would suggest that the pistons on that side of the caliper, brake pad with material left, require a good clean. Push all the pistons back into the caliper and then slowly pump the lever. I suggest the ones on the side where the pads are down to the base plate move first each time. If they all operate then check that the sliding mechanism is free to move, the rubbers haven't split and it hasn't gummed up.

• Member Contributer

I'm no mechanic but believe it's a linked brake issue. The top pads on the left side are only activated by the rear brake. When using only the front brake, all pads on right side work and only bottom pads on the left side. Thinking the compensation is the reason for the wear difference.

My brake pads are wearing like yours. Replace only the bottom left side so far.

Interesting idea but doesn't work well in real life

Side note: noticed you have a road bike. I joined the man vs machine race. Gonna be racing a steam train with my bicycle at the Grand Canyon this month

Archived