1986 VFR750 - should I buy it?

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

I came across this baby a while back and missed out on the sale.  The current owner has health issues and can't work on it, so he's offered it to me for the price he paid - $1000.  28K miles on the clock, not currently running but turns over fine.  Non-stock exhaust and turn signals and I think the clip-on bars aren't original.  Both master cylinders will bump the windshield when the bars are turned left or right far enough, so something isn't right.

It will need the usual stuff - tires, carb cleaning, fork seals, brake work, etc.  It's all just a matter of putting the time into it.  The bodywork is nice - not perfect, but nice and will clean up well.  Once resurrected, it will be a nice daily rider.  So the question is - should I buy it?  And are there any other little things to look for before I make a final decision?

Thanks.

20170903_102551.jpeg

20170903_102604.jpeg

• Member Contributer

That is what's called a "no brainer". Just missed out on an 86 750 for $500 a couple days ago by what was probably a couple hours.  

• Member Contributer

No brainer,

assuming you have disposable income....

and garage space..

• Member Contributer

Can't tell for sure, but the Telefix fork brace is a clue, they look like Telefix adjustable clip-ons.

Not that it really matters, but 750 or 700?  Could have had the lowers replaced at some point I suppose.

• Member Contributer

Not running is most likely the carburetors need cleaning and likely new seals. Sooo easy to work on that bike. Motors go well beyond 100k miles with normal care. That Kerker is probably the loudest can you can own. I actually had someone come chase after me with a broom riding from a stop sign in some small town. Send it off to get ceramic coated silver or tan to match the headers and prevent rust. Then you can put a cannister of your choice on the collector pipe. They are great bikes even in un altered form. finding good tires is a task with the 16" front and 18" rear but for a daily driver you won't need the stickiest track compounds. They are worth twice that in good running condition. So yeah. Buy that thing and have fun.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

No brainer,

assuming you have disposable income....

and garage space..

I had some money put aside for an opportunity like this.  Space is more of an issue, but I have some options there.

1 hour ago, Captain 80s said:

Can't tell for sure, but the Telefix fork brace is a clue, they look like Telefix adjustable clip-ons.

Not that it really matters, but 750 or 700?  Could have had the lowers replaced at some point I suppose.

It's a 750 for sure.

Looks like I'm going to get it - you all have me convinced that I should.

• Member Contributer

All the small repairs start to rack up the bills though. On many of my projects I end up spending as much on purchase price and repairs as I would have spent if I bought one 100% ready to go.

It is however fun to do the work and that bike looks well worth saving

8 hours ago, bykemike said:

All the small repairs start to rack up the bills though. On many of my projects I end up spending as much on purchase price and repairs as I would have spent if I bought one 100% ready to go.

It is however fun to do the work and that bike looks well worth saving

Yes so true. It can be scary adding up what you spend on projects like these. However if the the fun is in the work then it's still cheap in my opinion.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I second that with qualification.  Working on your new bike is the best and only way to bond with it, to find/fix the items of concern, to know how to do it..it is a great thing.

However (always one of those) there are two VFR's on ADV rider classified today, one, especially, is listed as museum quality, which it appears to be, with upgrades like Ohlins

left side exhaust, extra seats and low, low miles, the list goes on.  The difference in price between the bike under discussion and just a portion of the added parts prices make the one in ADV rider

a big time better deal.

Of course you have to have the cash in hand and be able to go get it or have it shipped and I realize those are or can be big issues.

This one!

91 vfr.jpg

• Member Contributer

Huh? "museum quality"??? With a rattle can flat black tank?

Am I missing something or has the world indeed gone mad? :-)

• Member Contributer

My bad....

Not as bad as the weld on the frame painted gold though...:goofy:

• Member Contributer

l had the get the trailer ready for the annual fall New England ride in Saratoga Springs, NY, so it was perfect timing to get the bike.  It's now tucked safely in the shop and in the queue for my usual resurrection routine.

I'm very happy with the deal.  It came with a clear title, owner's manual, tool kit, Telefix fork brace and clip-ons, and a Fox rear shock.  All the electrics work, so after good carb cleaning it should fire right up.  Can't wait to see how this one feels in the twisties!

20170904_141605.jpeg

• Member Contributer

These are a great bike but still 80'sfeel .the engine is a great runner still my favourite VFR.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Dutchy said:

My bad....

Not as bad as the weld on the frame painted gold though...:goofy:

Yeah, and the gold fairing fasteners , the gold silencer clamp...hey, no accounting for taste :)

• Member Contributer

And a Fox shock to boot.  Hell yes.  That's worth nearly half what you paid.  I'd bet there are some stiffer springs in the front as well then.

Archived