New owner - a couple of kinks.

• Member Contributer

You're welcome.  I've documented some of this here.  Unfortunately, another thread on the same forum seems to have disappeared for good.  Anyway, the internal O-rings are just o-rings--all you need to do is get the (exact) right size.  (Actually, I should say that the o-rings in the NRP kit are normal o-rings; the OEM o-rings are square-section, but the round ones work.)

Ciao,

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW soaking the fuel tap in trans fluid did not rejuvenate the o-rings to the point that they properly sealed. It did make it roughly 50% better but not perfect.

I'm rolling the dice on one which was 'holding fuel'....then I shall finally see how this thing rides.

The cluster appeared to have a bulb out. I went through them and it turns out that someone had been there before. Possibly after they hit something because there was plastic welding around the place. Sigh...basket case of a bike. Turns out all the globes appeared to be ok {no signs of blown elements) but I didn't test them with anything. I'm just going to avoid riding her at night for the meantime and see what she rides like. Nothing would surprise me now.

BJ

Check the bulbs anyway. Hopefully you find a bad one. If so replace them all with LED's - except for the Low Fuel one, if there is one. If the bulbs are all good, look at the sockets/contacts and work your way back. Fix what needs fixing, then put in the LED's. 

Don't give up. She'll be worth the wait!

Cheers,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty...

So on the plus side, she's alive. More than alive, she's wonderful. The VFR750 is everything I expected and more. I really do like these bikes. The sound, the torque, the ride position, the head turning, those geared cams.....I really like it. 

However...during my 40km ride yesterday things took a slight turn. My neutral light stopped coming on at the lights. I thought it might just be a dirty sensor but at the same time I could hear the clutch at the lights too. It sounds like the infamous Honda Clutch Rattle. The rattle is only there when the clutch leaver is released and the bike is sitting in neutral. It sounds like teeth are skimming over each other. I've just gone out this morning and the neutral light is back on so it might have something to do with a warm engine only?

Shamefully, I'll admit that I haven't actually checked the clutch fluid. It looked so good through the viewing glass and I've had such bad experiences bleeding brakes I left it to fate. I feel stupid now.

So what do you think is causing the neutral light to go off AND the horrible noise in neutral?

BJ

IMG_0052.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Neutral light hasn't been an issue since that ride. The rattle is present almost all the time in neutral. I have a feeling it's the fact that I used a full synthetic oil. I'll replace it soon along with the spark plugs.

Love these bikes!!!

Archived