Synthetic Diesel Oil for Motorcycle?

Ohlias

• Member Contributer

I’ve got my hands on some Motul 0w30 300v and will be trying it out in the 5th gen based on BLS’s comments about thinner oil. 

Bike has 65k on the odometer and will be visiting the local race track in spring. Will be interesting to see if there are any changes in:

1. Engine noise

2. Startup ease

3. Running temp

4. Shifting smoothness

5. Metal shavings in the oil pan (I’m praying not!)

I’ve come to love Motul 300v since running it in my air cooled classic when everyone said to stick with dyno/semi. 50k miles later they were wrong and the bike kicks ass. But my God it’s expensive! 

This, however, will be the first time I put a 30 weight oil in anything I’ve owned. Will also be trying one of the new HiFlo rc oil filters (with the nut on top and supposedly synthetic filtering media). 

30 weight seems very scary but hoping I’ll learn something. 

Would love to run some oil analysis but it’s prohibitively expensive in the UK. 

As for 540Rat, the guy certainly needs some communications skills training but I’m glad he has gone through the effort of posting his findings. “Normal” people don’t test oils like he does. Weirdos do stuff like that. I’m glad there are weirdos out there doing this sort of thing, even if I have to endure their strange personalities. Anyway, “Normal” people are boring: that’s why I hang out with motorcyclists! 

Stray

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived