New VFR Owner - Hi and a few Questions

2015vfr

Hi Everybody!

Just wanted to say Hello and ask a couple questions.

Just bought a 2015 VFR800FD in white with the side bags and power outlet.

The bike is still in the shop until Wednesday so I've been reading way too much about it until I get my hands on it.

For anyone looking in the future (and because I was looking for this info when shopping)

I paid 8999 for the bike (plus 380 freight, 787 dealer prep, 80 doc, 160 dmv, 950 tax)

and for the 2 side bags, keys, and power outlet another 960 with tax included

They also sold me on an extended warranty (5yrs for 300)

Greater LA area in California.

I am planning on purchasing a few accessories right away and was looking for some opinions.

T-Rex frame slider

T-Rex Axle slider

GSG swingarm slider

R&G Exhaust protector

Innovv k1 front/rear dashcam

Any recommendations for something else over what I listed above? These seem like the best option based on the research I've done.

I also want to get a Powerbronze rear wheel hugger and cruise control but I might hold off on that for a little while.

I had Techspec tank pads on my last bike, are there any better options I should take a look at?

Best phone and GPS mount options?

And lastly, any good options for fog/accessory lights that mount discretely?

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I forgot to add, what is supposed to come with the bike? I got a rear cowling with 2 little covers, tool kit, and a little owners manual booklet.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great choice (GMTA!) :D 

I got mine used from out of state so I'm not sure exactly what comes with it new but did you get rear grab handles (seat cowling and grab handle covers sounds about right)? 

If you don't have a service manual and you're ok with a digital copy, download the one Amoreira88 was so kind to scan/share (under Top Downloads, right side of front page, about halfway down)!

If you're looking for crash protection, you may want to also consider replacement handlebar ends and an extra set of levers (I got some adjustable/foldable ones and put my OEM levers under the rear cowling with my tools).  Speaking of which, maybe expand your tool kit, especially if you plan on doing long distance riding.

Some owners have added risers to the handlebars and lowering kits for the footpegs. 

If you're looking to add a rear hugger, then maybe add a front fender extender too?

If you have the $$, maybe get a quick shifter kit?

All of your regular bike maintenance/care products and supplies.

Maybe a few extra plastic push clips (aftermarket ones are much cheaper)?

Huntingguns (sp?) sells a nice phone/gps mount kit - have to do a search on this website for the thread

I'm probably gonna replace my rubber valve stems with steel when I get around to changing tires.  Gonna order some Speed Bleeders too at some point (but the Speed Bleeder guy has no acked my email so far). 

I'm also planning on getting an ABBA Sky Lift at some point and maybe a Baxley Sport Chock too.

I was thinking about some driving lights, angled up and to the side for night time cornering, but I don't ride at night very often at all (except for commuting to work before sunrise) so I haven't made that a priority.  I think you/we may be able to mount some small lights to the forks by removing the front amber side reflectors and using those mounting holes.  I've seen a lot of touring/adventure bikes with lights clamped to the mirror stalks.  One guy (sorry I forget who) mounted a Whelen ION V right under the headlights.  I added a red Feniex Cobra T3 as additional brake lighting and may get a couple of white T3's for the front (or maybe a cheapy Aliexpress mini LED light bar) for underneath the headlight... 

Gotta run and hit the hay, will try to remember/reply more later... 

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

But w/o a picture, you donot exist! :goofy:

We will see on wednessday then..

Why not go with GSG frame sliders as well?  Afore mentioned Huntingguns had them on theis VFRs and served them well. 

10 hours ago, Samuelx said:

I got mine used from out of state so I'm not sure exactly what comes with it new but did you get rear grab handles (seat cowling and grab handle covers sounds about right)? 

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure, the manual didn't have much info

If you don't have a service manual and you're ok with a digital copy, download the one Amoreira88 was so kind to scan/share (under Top Downloads, right side of front page, about halfway down)!

I'll make sure to grab this, thanks!

If you're looking for crash protection, you may want to also consider replacement handlebar ends and an extra set of levers (I got some adjustable/foldable ones and put my OEM levers under the rear cowling with my tools).  Speaking of which, maybe expand your tool kit, especially if you plan on doing long distance riding.

I think I'll wait until I break these, or replace them with shorties at a later date. I do have a Cruz tools kit from my last bike and a tire plug kit/compressor that I will migrate over

If you're looking to add a rear hugger, then maybe add a front fender extender too?

I might do this, does it significantly improve the amount of road grime the front wheel throws on the bike?

If you have the $$, maybe get a quick shifter kit?

I was playing around with this idea, but some of the reviews said that it interferes with the shifting because it protrudes more than the standard shifter

Huntingguns (sp?) sells a nice phone/gps mount kit - have to do a search on this website for the thread

Thanks, I've reached out to him for that to see if its still available.

I was thinking about some driving lights, angled up and to the side for night time cornering, but I don't ride at night very often at all (except for commuting to work before sunrise) so I haven't made that a priority.  I think you/we may be able to mount some small lights to the forks by removing the front amber side reflectors and using those mounting holes.  I've seen a lot of touring/adventure bikes with lights clamped to the mirror stalks.  One guy (sorry I forget who) mounted a Whelen ION V right under the headlights.  I added a red Feniex Cobra T3 as additional brake lighting and may get a couple of white T3's for the front (or maybe a cheapy Aliexpress mini LED light bar) for underneath the headlight... 

I'm looking for a subtle and clean install to maintain the sleek look of the bike but I also want to improve visibility for commuting/daytime riding.

Thanks for all the help!

10 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond :beer:

But w/o a picture, you donot exist! :goofy:

We will see on wednessday then..

Why not go with GSG frame sliders as well?  Afore mentioned Huntingguns had them on theis VFRs and served them well. 

I'll make sure to post a picture once I have the bike :)

I think the GSG frame sliders require modification of the fairing? I dont think I can bring myself to do that to a brand new bike.

• Member Contributer

Go ahead and ditch the OEM tires and spring for some real rubber.  It's torture trying to get the OEM's to go around a corner.  

Ditch some weight and help very low rpm grunt with a slip on.  

Man, with all that protection you're putting on the bike, you know you're going to drop it in your garage soon.......; )

I've always run Michelin's, but I'll probably wait to burn through the rear on the stock ones. Can't get the slip-on quite yet, I'm in an apartment so the bike needs to stay quiet.

I've dropped my previous bikes quite a bit (short legs and high seat height will do that), but this bike is quite a bit lighter than those were (YZF600r and BMW 1150RT). Rather safe than sorry.

Dutchy, you're right they don't require drilling. Pricey though.

fink, I think those are german

http://whaccessories.com/Honda-Sliders-VFR-800-14+.htm

https://shop.partsworldshop.com/de/productdetail?session.lhk=3

https://www.gsg-mototechnik.de/00honda/honda-vfr800-rc79-2014/honda-vfr800-rc79-2014.htm

looks like $337 shipped

I initially chose the gsg swingarm slider because it looks a lot better and less intrusive than the T-Rex

Yes, the GSG frame sliders do NOT need drilling BUT you do have to remove them if you want to take those fairings/cowlings off - outer slider w/ 1 large allen head bolt and inner mounting piece w/ 2 smaller allen head bolts.

For a little extra visibility, I borrowed a page from GatorGreg's accessories book and added a rechargeable LED bicycle light with a strobe/flashing mode to my left mirror stalk.  So far so good.  That being said, however, it's likely to be an uphill battle to argue that such a light conforms to CA Vehicle Code (24250, 24400+, 25250/25251, etal)...

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Samuelx said:

...For a little extra visibility, I borrowed a page from GatorGreg's accessories book and added a rechargeable LED bicycle light with a strobe/flashing mode to my left mirror stalk.  So far so good.  That being said, however, it's likely to be an uphill battle to argue that such a light conforms to CA Vehicle Code (24250, 24400+, 25250/25251, etal)...

LOL - glad to see my accessories book being put to good use!  I like the old saying, "it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".  Or in the case of an alleged traffic infraction, "it's better to be judged by Judge Wapner than carried by 6" :tongue:  Seriously though, I've never been hassled by the cops for my LED flasher and I'm 99% sure it has saved my @$$ more than once so it's a gamble I'm happy to take.  I think the cops in my area would just give me a warning if any of them had a problem with it.

Here's a vid of my LED flasher in case anyone is wondering what we're talking about:

• Member Contributer

Good idea on that LED flasher.  Too bad there's a need......

GatorGreg I like it, that looks like it draws a lot of attention.

I've gone ahead and ordered the T-rex sliders (full set), the others were just to pricey with shipping (almost doubled the listed cost)

After reading some more reviews it looks like the Innovv K1 has gone down in quality and is not recommended, any recommendations for a motorcycle dashcam? I was looking at the sena, but I would really like something that is always on when the bike is on similar to a car dashcam. Lost my last bike in a crash when a car ran a red light and the GoPro I usually wear on my Helmet wasn't running because the battery died :/.

Huntingguns is making me a ram mount so hopefully I'll have that soon. Now I need to figure out how to set up USB power at the front of the bike. Whats everyone's favorite method? I've been combing through old threads looking at options. Do you all use the phone as GPS? I have a dedicated GPS (not waterproof) that I used to use, I might try putting a splitter on the ram mount so I can mount both phone and GPS

I want to get an exhaust slider, does anyone know if the exhaust is round or oval and what the diameter is?

Picking up the bike hopefully this evening!!!!!! (dealer opens soon so I can call and find out if its ready)

Also any recommendations for overpants (need both mesh and something warmer, I'll probably get 2 pants)

Lastly, do the Techspec pads for the older models fit on the newer ones? It doesn't look like techspec makes a dedicated snakeskin pad for the Gen 8 VFR

1 minute ago, Thumbs said:

Fink is talking about the exhaust protector 

Ah ok, Yes they make an oval, round, and hexagonal one in 2 sizes, thats why I was asking if the bike has a round or oval exhaust and what the diameter is.

https://www.revzilla.com/search?query=r%26g+exhaust+protector&commit=Search

Just spoke to the dealership, last parts should arrive today and be installed by this evening, so as long as everything goes to plan I'll have the bike tonight.

On 8/29/2017 at 0:15 AM, 2015vfr said:

Hi Everybody!

Just wanted to say Hello and ask a couple questions.

Just bought a 2015 VFR800FD in white with the side bags and power outlet.

The bike is still in the shop until Wednesday so I've been reading way too much about it until I get my hands on it.

For anyone looking in the future (and because I was looking for this info when shopping)

I paid 8999 for the bike (plus 380 freight, 787 dealer prep, 80 doc, 160 dmv, 950 tax)

and for the 2 side bags, keys, and power outlet another 960 with tax included

They also sold me on an extended warranty (5yrs for 300)

Greater LA area in California.

I am planning on purchasing a few accessories right away and was looking for some opinions.

T-Rex frame slider

T-Rex Axle slider

GSG swingarm slider

R&G Exhaust protector

Innovv k1 front/rear dashcam

Any recommendations for something else over what I listed above? These seem like the best option based on the research I've done.

I also want to get a Powerbronze rear wheel hugger and cruise control but I might hold off on that for a little while.

I had Techspec tank pads on my last bike, are there any better options I should take a look at?

Best phone and GPS mount options?

And lastly, any good options for fog/accessory lights that mount discretely?

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I forgot to add, what is supposed to come with the bike? I got a rear cowling with 2 little covers, tool kit, and a little owners manual booklet.

I have an R&G right side crank cover like new for sale on ebay right now, if you happen to drop on right side that nice bronze cover gets dinged.

On 8/29/2017 at 0:15 AM, 2015vfr said:

35 minutes ago, rckrzy1 said:

I have an R&G right side crank cover like new for sale on ebay right now, if you happen to drop on right side that nice bronze cover gets dinged.

Does it cover the whole crankcase cover? I like the ones that just go on the bottom edge to leave the stock look. Link to the auction?

6 minutes ago, 2015vfr said:

Does it cover the whole crankcase cover? I like the ones that just go on the bottom edge to leave the stock look. Link to the auction?

I'll send in a PM , I think links to ebay may be frowned upon.

Here she is! Picked her up last night. Still waiting on the luggage, should arrive by early next week.

Now if only the temps could drop a little, it was still in the high 90s when i got home at 8pm

20170830_185931_1504146686608.jpg

Archived