VF1000R questions

2wheelsnm

Hello all. I'm new to the site, and don't know much about these bikes yet, so I can't offer much info to anyone regarding VFRs. I have however, owned and/or restored twenty-five or so motorcycles of various makes, and have restored many foreign and domestic automobiles, so I'm not a stranger to mechanical problems and solutions, and will try to help if I read any questions I can answer. Thanks to anyone in advance for help with my problems and questions.

I'm working on getting a 1985 VF1000R back on the road after getting it from the original owner several months ago. The bike sat for over 20 years before I got it. I've gotten it running, and the engine sounds beautiful (as they do), but still have a lot to do before it's road-worthy. For one thing, the water pump leaks - not too much for short rides, but I wouldn't take a road trip like it is. I can't find any listings anywhere for replacement pumps or rebuild kits. Can anyone help me out with some sources for this?

The other thing is the clutch hydraulics. I've rebuilt lots of clutch and brake hydraulic systems through the years, but have never had one give me so much trouble bleeding. I used to have a pressure-bleeding set-up it disappeared somewhere along the way, so I haven't tried that yet. This system seems so simple though, I wouldn't expect to need that. I just can't get this thing to pump up any pressure though. There must be something stupid I'm missing. Can anyone offer some tips?

Thanks again to anyone that may help.

Phillip 

• Member Contributer

Phillip - welcome to the site - I think you will fit right in, there are quite a few guys that do plenty of bike mods. Post up some photos of any of your projects. 

There are a couple of very nice resto jobs of VF1000Rs here, and sry for the moment I cant remember their names. I'm sure they can help.

For the clutch, Honda bikes are a bit stubborn, but for me the easy way out is to use a speed bleeder on the slave outlet. Then sloooooowly pump the master cylinder and pressure will build up. 

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

A maybe for parts is.... 

http://newmotorcycleparts.net/

Again - welcome this is a great VFR site. 

• Member Contributer

Welcome Philip to VFRD!

There are a few VF(1000) guru's here so they will chime in no doubt.

Yeah, give us some pictures of the beauty beast! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to you sir, someone's a die hard petrol head, awesome. New bikes are great, but classics are special.
Any related pics are appreciated, mandatory even.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the site.. (YAY! Another Phill that spells his name right)

I must admit to having the same problem when I bled the clutch on the VTEC when I swapped an engine. took me an age to get it to pump, eventually I pushed the fluid UP through the bleed valve. That still took some pumping though

Thank you all for the tips, as well as your comments, welcoming me, and so forth. All replies are greatly appreciated.

I have had only a little time to spend on the bike since posting this, but I like the speed bleeder. Looks like a great tool. Wish I'd thought of that. :) 

I did try pushing the fluid up as Woodie mentioned. It "ain't" there yet, but there's a little pressure now at the clutch lever, so I think this will solve that issue, with a little more time (and patience).

Any water pump sources or ideas, anyone?

Thanks again everyone. 

• Member Contributer

There is a guy on ebay selling Magna water pump kits and the service to do it as well.  You might contact him, he might know the differences and what can be done.

The water pump part number is unique to the 84-86 VF1000F/R.  

• Member Contributer

Just a suggestion, but I recently purchased a water pump rebuild kit (bearings and seals) for my 1990 ST1100, from this eBay seller:

http://stores.ebay.com/happybikesshopforfastdelivery/

They seem to sell quite a few different water pump seal kits, maybe they will have something for the VF1000R?

I haven't used my parts yet but as the water pump is an obsolete part that is known to eventually fail I thought I'd keep it on the shelf. The seller provides a good guide to replacing the seals/bearings, just need access to a shop press in this case.

another tip for bleeding clutch slaves is to remove the slave from the sprocket cover, and use a C-clamp to hold the piston in fully retracted position while bleeding.

• Member Contributer

VFRD member TheDutchy has not been online for a while methink, you could try a private message to him...  He owns a beautiful VF1000R

Thanks again to all, for the helpful tips. Here's what I found on the water pump question. Happy Bikes on ebay (suggested by Terry) does have the mechanical seal for the VF1000R, so that's definitely a viable option. I went with the guy suggested by Captain 80s though, baxter7092 on ebay.  I had emailed both guys and got quick replies. They both seem to have a great deal of experience with the coolant pumps. Baxter7092's reply also indicated he could provide a complete overhaul kit though, versus just the mechanical seal. Happy Bikes may have a complete kit as well. I didn't ask, just because I was impressed by the apparent level of professionalism expressed by Baxter. I'm not particularly a bargain shopper. If someone seems to know and enjoy what they're doing, and seems to appreciate my business, I generally stop looking, and do business there. For the extra $60 baxter was asking to do the job, I decided not to even try to rebuild the pump myself. The rebuild kit was $140, or the complete rebuild of my pump for $200, with a warranty. Sold!

Thanks to Squirrelman for the C-clamp suggestion to aid with bleeding the clutch hydraulics. When I removed the slave cylinder to get the water pump out, I had the same idea, and happened to have just the right size C-clamp to get the job done. Another problem solved.

Thanks again guys.

• Member Contributer

Awesome!!!!  I'm the same way typically regarding vendors.  When I get a good feeling it's not worth spending more time to save a few bucks.  Would rather have the guy who is engaged with what he does get my business.  But they both sound like viable options.  This is good to know, I'm sure one of my 1000s will need something like this at some point (and I just made the deal on another 86 VF1000R...   I'll start a thread when I get it home.  It's only a half block away, but I just had hand surgery #2 last Wed).

With so many parts unique to the 1000s, this is why a community like this is so great.

Anyway...  glad you're making progress!!!!

• Member Contributer

Phillip:

Welcome to the Board. As you can see there are a few "R" guys around.

Keep us posted on your progress and add a few pics when you get a chance.

Archived