Front End Swap - Level Completed

jim v

• Member Contributer

Another front end conversion -

6th gen VFR with an RC51front end with CBR1000 top bridge, master cylinder and brake calipers. Helibars to clear the body work. Forks were fully serviced before install. I've got ~200 miles on the swap and its a night/day difference - I can actually feel the fork compress and rebound over bumps. The only issue is the ABS light remains on. I can live with it

Now to get the rear end sorted out (Ohlins?!) and to figure out a single nut conversion. Also thinking about a lighter RC51 wheel :cheerleader:

IMG_20170825_191648.jpg

IMG_20170827_194113.jpg

IMG_20170827_194216.jpg

• Member Contributer
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:24 AM, jim v said:

Another front end conversion -

6th gen VFR with an RC51front end with CBR1000 top bridge, master cylinder and brake calipers. Helibars to clear the body work. Forks were fully serviced before install. I've got ~200 miles on the swap and its a night/day difference - I can actually feel the fork compress and rebound over bumps. The only issue is the ABS light remains on. I can live with it

Now to get the rear end sorted out (Ohlins?!) and to figure out a single nut conversion. Also thinking about a lighter RC51 wheel :cheerleader: IMG_20170827_194113.jpg

Mmmmm.  Radial caliper conversion...

A lighter RC51 wheel, eh?  I think the only thing appreciably lighter than the SP2 front wheel is a carbon fibre wheel, e.g., BST:

image.php?image=pr902_15.jpg

It's even five spokes to match the rear...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Your bike is super sweet. She deserves a nice Penski I have used Ohlins Elka and Penski shocks on my three  different VFRs. Penski is the only one that really impresses me. 

• Member Contributer

The first 10,000 miles on the Ohlins are very nice...but you KNOW when it needs a re-build.

Matt

• Member Contributer
On 8/29/2017 at 1:15 AM, Veefer800Canuck said:

That looks like a 929/954 upper triple

the CBR1000 item would have lugs for the factory steering damper I think 

Veefer you are correct, 954 upper

• Member Contributer
On 8/30/2017 at 7:57 PM, jim v said:

I'm running an SP1 wheel now, how much would an SP2 wheel save?

And is the BST streetable or race only? It sure is pretty :blush:

The wheel in your pic looks like an SP2 wheel to me?  (I don't have an RC51, but I do have three SP1 front wheels!)  SP2 wheels are supposed be slightly lighter than SP1, but I haven't weighed them myself.

Ciao,

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Question for the those with more front end swap experience - did your bike run a little hotter after the swap? Mine certainly does. No coolant leaks, level is fine, all appears a-ok. Are the RC51 components restrict air flow a bit?