Mounting Shindengen SH847

algore

26 minutes ago, KevCarver said:

You don't want a Ricks.

With either SH847 or SH020 you have 3 wires coming from the stator to the R/R. From the R/R you want to run red to the + terminal through a 30a fuse or breaker, and then the ground directly to the frame. That's all there is to it. Everything stock that you unplugged, just wrap it up and tuck it away. 

If you go with a kit from Roadster Cycle, you'll want the plug and terminals to crimp onto the stator wires. Don't add another connection between the stator and R/R.

what is the largest wire that makes sense to use to the stator? battery positive with in-line fuse? and ground size?  I want to use the largest that will help as it won't increase costs much anyway. 

thanks

Joel

Isn't there another plug closer to the stator as well?   shouldn't I try and get an empty plug end and just run solid yellow wire all the way to where the stator leaves the housing?

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, exwifeschewtoy said:

what is the largest wire that makes sense to use to the stator? battery positive with in-line fuse? and ground size?  I want to use the largest that will help as it won't increase costs much anyway. 

thanks

Joel

Isn't there another plug closer to the stator as well?   shouldn't I try and get an empty plug end and just run solid yellow wire all the way to where the stator leaves the housing?

The only plug between the stator and R/R is the one right above the right side rad.   The fewer connections the better - so I'd just stick with the one and be done with it.  AFAIK 12ga wire should be sufficient - 10ga would seem like overkill. 

I also have to say that your screen name and avatar together make quite the statement!   Please - no details!  :ph34r:

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, exwifeschewtoy said:

thanks

Joel

Hi Joel.

Stators are normally manufactured with their exiting wires at least equal to or better than the current rating of the internal stator winding. In other words, the internal single strand copper phase windings are the weakest links. So trying to increase the wire gauge from the stator is not going to help, nor is it practical.

As Cogswell has stated the only connection from your stator is the connector joining the yellow 3 phase wires to the R/R. Many issues due to high resistance joints have occurred at this junction. The simple big improvement is to remove this connector and hard wire (solder and insulate or good quality in-line crimp connectors) each of the individual 3 phase wire to wire, thus eliminating high resistance joints.

Your bike has relatively low mileage, if you don't have a charging issue, why look at replacing your R/R?  The OEM R/R's are extremely reliable - not so the stators.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

The only plug between the stator and R/R is the one right above the right side rad.   The fewer connections the better - so I'd just stick with the one and be done with it.  AFAIK 12ga wire should be sufficient - 10ga would seem like overkill. 

I also have to say that your screen name and avatar together make quite the statement!   Please - no details!  :ph34r:

thank you for the info. I spent a couple days trying to find the perfect picture. 

12 ga wire it is.

Joel

54 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Joel.

Stators are normally manufactured with their exiting wires at least equal to or better than the current rating of the internal stator winding. In other words, the internal single strand copper phase windings are the weakest links. So trying to increase the wire gauge from the stator is not going to help, nor is it practical.

As Cogswell has stated the only connection from your stator is the connector joining the yellow 3 phase wires to the R/R. Many issues due to high resistance joints have occurred at this junction. The simple big improvement is to remove this connector and hard wire (solder and insulate or good quality in-line crimp connectors) each of the individual 3 phase wire to wire, thus eliminating high resistance joints.

Your bike has relatively low mileage, if you don't have a charging issue, why look at replacing your R/R?  The OEM R/R's are extremely reliable - not so the stators.

Cheers.

P.S. Have gone through a bitter situation like you with children involved, its tough, hang in there, enjoy your VFR, you will get through it. GOOD LUCK.

I am getting the plate for the bigger rectifier and some information and then going to sit on it until winter. I have borderline voltage readings so I just want to be informed at least so that I don't jump to the wrong fix if it breaks on me and I haven't researched it. 

Working on this bike or riding it is the only happiness I can find at the moment.  Diving into this bike seems silly to all of you and I get that but right now it is helping me forget that my children haven't talked to me in over a year. My ex turned them both against me and as pathetic as it is, this bike is all I have to look forward to each day.  I would like to tell you that I will wait and not do things like replace parts that are working fine, but that would likely be a lie. How many of you guys pulled off shocks that were fine or yanked a perfectly good exhaust off just to have something different. I don't think I am so strange. 

thank you 

Joel

I will do the "test" first though to see what if anything is causing my low voltage readings. They come and go which I don't understand......could be the 10 dollar meter!

• Member Contributer

Oh man - I feel for you - that's a tough situation.   Wrenching and riding can be good therapy.   This is a great forum with lots of nice people.   If you can make it to a meet it will be even better to put faces with the names.   Maybe post up some photos of your rides  - those often get dialog going. 

Cheers 

Archived