Picked up a Shorai battery. Nice weight savings.

Billyzoom1

I just picked up a Shorai battery.  I had one on another bike and loved it...used it for four years until I sold that bike, and not a single issue.

There's not much to say, other than I wanted to share the weight.  The stock battery weighed 8.2 pounds, and the Shorai weighed a measly 2.1 pounds.  Not only is it a 6.1 pound weight savings, but the battery is carried relatively high on the bike, so it's a good location to save some weight.  Saved over 6 pounds for less than $200 bucks.  Plus I can sell the stocker.  I'm looking forward to riding it.  

I also picked up a Two Brothers slip-on, so in total I've saved maybe 12ish pounds.  I also ordered a 520 sprocket and chain set (only bought that because I was changing the gearing anyway), so that will save another pound or two.  So, in all, the reasonably cost-effective weight savings are all done.  And I'm only 165 pounds, so the power to weight ratio isn't going to get any better.

I'd recommend this battery if you're looking for reasonable weight savings.  You also gain a bit of space, as the Shorai is perhaps an inch narrower.  I just put foam in its place, but on the Kawasaki I had, I used the additional space for some storage.  Very handy. 

Makes sense,  thanks for your take on em.  I was interested if others have bought this battery, as I'm looking at getting one when the one i have goes south ,  what version did you get? I'm finding the 14amp version for $143 vs. $170 for he 18a.

• Member Contributer

9 hours ago, Billyzoom1 said:

I just picked up a Shorai battery.  I had one on another bike and loved it...used it for four years until I sold that bike, and not a single issue.

There's not much to say, other than I wanted to share the weight.  The stock battery weighed 8.2 pounds, and the Shorai weighed a measly 2.1 pounds.  Not only is it a 6.1 pound weight savings, but the battery is carried relatively high on the bike, so it's a good location to save some weight.  Saved over 6 pounds for less than $200 bucks.  Plus I can sell the stocker.  I'm looking forward to riding it.  

I also picked up a Two Brothers slip-on, so in total I've saved maybe 12ish pounds.  I also ordered a 520 sprocket and chain set (only bought that because I was changing the gearing anyway), so that will save another pound or two.  So, in all, the reasonably cost-effective weight savings are all done.  And I'm only 165 pounds, so the power to weight ratio isn't going to get any better.

I'd recommend this battery if you're looking for reasonable weight savings.  You also gain a bit of space, as the Shorai is perhaps an inch narrower.  I just put foam in its place, but on the Kawasaki I had, I used the additional space for some storage.  Very handy. 

Thanks for the info Billy! My OEM battery still seems fine but my bike is a 2014 model so I'm thinking I should be proactive and get a new battery soon - might as well get one that will save some weight.

According to tuneruniversity, a six pound weight savings on our bikes is equivalent to gaining approx 1.2 virtual hp using the power to weight ratio formula.  I used 529 pounds and 104 hp as the stock specs when doing the calculation.  Basically we gain the equivalent of approx 0.2 virtual hp for every pound lost, so we need to lose about 5 pounds to gain 1 virtual hp.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/03/power-to-weight-ratio/

Another reasonably cost-effective weight savings you can do is the tail tidy sold by NZCam, it shaves almost a pound for sixty something US dollars and plus it looks great.

And to FJ's point we can all easily save about 18 pounds by just keeping our tanks filled with less than 2.6 gallons of fuel (5.6 gallon tank minus 2.6 gallons cuts 3 gallons which weigh 6 pounds per gallon).  Since our bikes get about 40 mpg, 2.6 gallons is still enough to go over 100 miles and since my commute is only 7 miles that's enough fuel to last me a week.

So if I get the Shorai battery I can get my VFR down under 500 pounds!

7 pounds (Delk exhaust)

1 pound (NZCam's Tail Tidy)

6 pounds (Shorai battery)

18 pounds (3 gal of gas)

Total weight loss = 32 pounds

529 - 32 = 497 pounds!

497/104 = 4.7788 new lb/hp ratio

529/4.7788 = 110.7 hp

Therefore, losing 32 pounds is the equivalent of gaining about 6.7 virtual hp.

And in your case, since you weigh about 30 pounds less than me (195 - 165) that will always gives you about another 6 virtual hp advantage - no fair! :tongue:

I had them in my bikes and could not tell a weight difference unless it was out of the bike, in my hand.

The good part is they do not lose charge near as fast as the old type batteries.

If you're in a cold climate they might not be for you, I hear. No experience there though.

22 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Thanks for the info Billy! My OEM battery still seems fine but my bike is a 2014 model so I'm thinking I should be proactive and get a new battery soon - might as well get one that will save some weight.

According to tuneruniversity, a six pound weight savings on our bikes is equivalent to gaining approx 1.2 virtual hp using the power to weight ratio formula.  I used 529 pounds and 104 hp as the stock specs when doing the calculation.  Basically we gain the equivalent of approx 0.2 virtual hp for every pound lost, so we need to lose about 5 pounds to gain 1 virtual hp.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/03/power-to-weight-ratio/

Another reasonably cost-effective weight savings you can do is the tail tidy sold by NZCam, it shaves almost a pound for sixty something US dollars and plus it looks great.

And to FJ's point we can all easily save about 18 pounds by just keeping our tanks filled with less than 2.6 gallons of fuel (5.6 gallon tank minus 2.6 gallons cuts 3 gallons which weigh 6 pounds per gallon).  Since our bikes get about 40 mpg, 2.6 gallons is still enough to go over 100 miles and since my commute is only 7 miles that's enough fuel to last me a week.

So if I get the Shorai battery I can get my VFR down under 500 pounds!

7 pounds (Delk exhaust)

1 pound (NZCam's Tail Tidy)

6 pounds (Shorai battery)

18 pounds (3 gal of gas)

Total weight loss = 32 pounds

529 - 32 = 497 pounds!

497/104 = 4.7788 new lb/hp ratio

529/4.7788 = 110.7 hp

Therefore, losing 32 pounds is the equivalent of gaining about 6.7 virtual hp.

And in your case, since you weigh about 30 pounds less than me (195 - 165) that will always gives you about another 6 virtual hp advantage - no fair! :tongue:

You can also take off the centre stand. That would be worth 3-4 pounds?

Mostly though, if you stop eating those cheese burgers.....

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Audible said:

You can also take off the centre stand. That would be worth 3-4 pounds?

Mostly though, if you stop eating those cheese burgers.....

No way - I love my centerstand and cheeseburgers!   Plus I'll be content getting it down to 497 - actually anything under 500 pounds just sounds so much better than 529 :wink:

Archived