A Frenchy in Oregon

Coatzin

Hi everyone !!

I will be flying to Portland (Oregon) mid September for work and might be able to take a day off :beer:

I was wondering if it was worth it to rent a bike for the day to discover Portland's countryside.

So:

_ Does any of you knows a good motorcycle rental address?

_ Are Portland's surroundings worth visiting?

_ if Yes, is there any "must ride" road nearby?

Thanks in advance :cheerleader:

PS: If I posted in the wrong part of the forum, can someone move the post??

If you've never seen the Oregon coast, you definitely should travel down the coastline. 2 wheeling is the best way to do it, obviously. Depending on how much time you have, that would dictate how far south to explore.

Make your way down  the I-5 to Corvallis, then west toward Waldport. This will take you through Siuslaw Nation Forest. A good portion of the 34 runs along the Alsea River. Stop and take a dip in the water.  

https://goo.gl/maps/WQopMoZN3cm

Or you can go from Portland, take 30 west to Astoria. In Astoria, cross the Astoria-Megler Bridge to Point Ellise, Washington, and then back. It's an experience. You'll see. Maybe bring change of pants.

There are so many points of interest, but to name a few, in no special order: 

Sea Lion Caves - take the time to walk down to the cave.

Harris Beach State Park (Arch Rock) near Brookings

Cannon Beach

Coos Bay

Mo's Restaurant near Florence - check out the Old Town Coffee Roasters if you drink coffee.

OML  So many places to go see,  and roads to travel on, where does one start. Just about the whole NW part of Oregon would be hard to go wrong. One could take Hiway 26 out to the coast, and if you would like a more adventurous journey turn off on hi way 47,  total epic. taking you out the back way to Astoria.  Or, depending on your time line get over to Hiway 14 on the Washington side of the Columbia river and head east to Stevenson, from that head north on Wind river rd.  again another totally over the top ride.  Then if that hasn't done you in, on the way back cross over on the Hood river bridge over the Columbia river to 84  before you head back to Portland.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the late reply and many Thanks for all the good info.

Unfortunately I won't have more than a few hours of free time so I have to pass on this (tiny) road trip. :wacko:

However if I find the region appealing I will probably come back sooner or later with my wife during vacations.

V

Archived