H7 5000K 55w High Beams for 6th gen

RC51Nick

• Member Contributer

My 07 RWB has one of Tightwad's HID kits installed on it from the original owner.  Love the kit.  Question I have is since the hi beams are the original H7 bulbs they almost show up "amber" in relation to the bright white of the HID's.  Has anyone installed 5000K 55w H7 bulbs in the high beam without any issues.  I as not sure about additional heat since to produce the brighter bulbs the lamps burn hotter.  I want to get the high beam color to match the HID's.

Thanks,

Nick

• Member Contributer

After swapping the main beam H4s for a slightly whiter color temp (3700K), I went to swap the high beam H7s and I ran into a problem...the high beam sockets are not a standard H7 connector.

After everything I read about VFR bulbs, I was expecting the H4s to be non-standard, but the H7s would be a direct fit. Not so on my '08.

[edited to redact my disinformation about H7 bulbs :pinocchio:]

Edited by Dash
I'm dumb.

• Member Contributer

Dash,  I double checked the parts fiche and the 6th gen VFR uses a socket adatper on 33130-MAT-611 on the hi beams to adapt the bulb to the harness.  My RC51 has the same part and I know H7 builds installed without any problems.  I put a set of 4000K bulbs in it and they installed easy peasy.  If you bike doesn't have those then someone may have been playing around with it previously?

• Member Contributer

I think you are right, Nick. For whatever reason, I must have assumed the bulb/socket assembly was all one piece. :goofy:

Now I wonder if I can swap high beam bulbs without removing the upper cowl...

• 2 weeks later...