Going to look at a 2001. Things to check?

lancruza

I'm going to look at a 2001 VFR 30k miles on the clock.  Anything in particular to check?   Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

If you're looking for things specific to the VFR, I asked the previous owner of my 01 if I could take a look under the seat so I could inspect the wiring, particularly the Stator/RR connector. I also checked the battery and items near there just to make sure there was no signs of a "melt down" or one pending. I actually brought a 5mm hex wrench just in case i needed to remove fairing bolts to get a better look at the hidden stuff. Although I didn't take it that far, I did get to peek under the seat and all of that looked good.

Other than that, the typical stuff is more a question and answer session, I.e. Maintenance schedule and/or records, inspection of fluids and fluid levels, which I usually flush/fill anyway but may give an actual indication of their maintenance habits, regardless of said schedule/records. Checking how the levers and pedals feel, whether there brakes are dragging or other indicators of bent/warped rotors or worn bearings or stuck caliper pistons, so getting the wheels off the ground is very helpful. Items like brake pads, chain and sprockets and other "consumables" I just assume I'll replace, unless it's very clear these are too new to toss and replace. Checking the key in all of the places it is used, particularly the gas cap! I read one story where the key got stuck in the cap and the rider couldn't get it out, imagine if this happen on your first fill up away from home.

hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the info and the link.  I was mainly curious about VFR specific items.  I wasn't sure if there were common problems to look for on a VFR with 30k.  I know they're great bikes with few problems, but I'm not as familiar with them as you guys are.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 9:22 AM, Duc2V4 said:

If you're looking for things specific to the VFR, I asked the previous owner of my 01 if I could take a look under the seat so I could inspect the wiring, particularly the Stator/RR connector. I also checked the battery and items near there just to make sure there was no signs of a "melt down" or one pending. I actually brought a 5mm hex wrench just in case i needed to remove fairing bolts to get a better look at the hidden stuff. Although I didn't take it that far, I did get to peek under the seat and all of that looked good.

Other than that, the typical stuff is more a question and answer session, I.e. Maintenance schedule and/or records, inspection of fluids and fluid levels, which I usually flush/fill anyway but may give an actual indication of their maintenance habits, regardless of said schedule/records. Checking how the levers and pedals feel, whether there brakes are dragging or other indicators of bent/warped rotors or worn bearings or stuck caliper pistons, so getting the wheels off the ground is very helpful. Items like brake pads, chain and sprockets and other "consumables" I just assume I'll replace, unless it's very clear these are too new to toss and replace. Checking the key in all of the places it is used, particularly the gas cap! I read one story where the key got stuck in the cap and the rider couldn't get it out, imagine if this happen on your first fill up away from home.

hope this is helpful.

Just got a 1999 Honda VFR800 myself (first bike for a smoking deal), but it needs some work. Thanks for posting this, very informative and useful, I'll keep this in mind when I start looking more into the bike.

Archived