Leaving the fold.....

Sorry guys but the VFR has gone, had three great years with it, probably the best bike Honda never really promoted.  Just needed a bit more R&D spending on it and more advertising.  One day I will buy another, probably on my retirement.  Been a good forum thanks for the info and laughs, see you all later.

Carlos

I have gone over to the dark side, I made a mistake of test riding a BMW...

First of all rode a R1200RS - not that much different to a VFR, in fact I preferred my VFR, however then the salesman suggested I test ride a R1200GS, after two hours I was smitten and now having parted with a great deal of cash, own a GS.

If only Honda could offer me a bike with a few more HP and decent suspension.....

PS build quality of the BMW is not as good as the VFR

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Carlosfandango said:

...the salesman suggested I test ride a R1200GS, after two hours I was smitten and now having parted with a great deal of cash, own a GS.

AKA the "two wheeled dumper truck" :tongue:

J/K - enjoy your new bike!

• Member Contributer

Congratulations on your new purchase. Great bikes indeed. You are now officially a tosser. :biggrin:.

which version did you opt for In the end? 

1 hour ago, Carlosfandango said:

I have gone over to the dark side, I made a mistake of test riding a BMW...

First of all rode a R1200RS - not that much different to a VFR, in fact I preferred my VFR, however then the salesman suggested I test ride a R1200GS, after two hours I was smitten and now having parted with a great deal of cash, own a GS.

If only Honda could offer me a bike with a few more HP and decent suspension.....

PS build quality of the BMW is not as good as the VFR

Ah, bugger. That's another biker that won't nod at us mere mortals... 

:wink:

• Member Contributer

Watched a guy ride by me the other day on one of those.  He acted like I was invisible on my RWB 6th gen.  Fully decked out, wearing his full BMW adv jacket and pants, he rode through the intersection standing up on the pegs  He must have thought he was going the long way round or something.   I like the GS and all but I had to laugh.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Katie said:

Ah, bugger. That's another biker that won't nod at us mere mortals... 

:wink:

What's with the nodding?  Can't beat a good wave. 

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, deltaboxii said:

Watched a guy ride by me the other day on one of those.  He acted like I was invisible on my RWB 6th gen.  Fully decked out, wearing his full BMW adv jacket and pants, he rode through the intersection standing up on the pegs  He must have thought he was going the long way round or something.   I like the GS and all but I had to laugh.

What's up with that?  I must have seen half a dozen "adventure tourists" on my recent LA-SF-Tahoe road trip, each of them standing on the pegs whilst riding in traffic.  Harley riders from another mother...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, JZH said:

What's up with that?  I must have seen half a dozen "adventure tourists" on my recent LA-SF-Tahoe road trip, each of them standing on the pegs whilst riding in traffic.  Harley riders from another mother...

Ciao,

I get why you stand on the pegs, I ride a bit off road on my WR and with people far better in the dirt than me.  But riding in traffic standing on the pegs to me, is the equivalent of sticking a knee out when you are riding around town or tucking down in a racer crouch at 60mph on the highway.  Maybe they are dirt squids?   or maybe they just want a better view of traffic?

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, deltaboxii said:

But riding in traffic standing on the pegs to me, is the equivalent of sticking a knee out when you are riding around town or tucking down in a racer crouch at 60mph on the highway. 

Maybe their rear-end hurts. On long trips I stand up for a bit to relieve some discomfort.

Death by umpty million cars while your hand is in the air. Can't quite beat the South for traffic density...

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Katie said:

Death by umpty million cars while your hand is in the air. Can't quite beat the South for traffic density...

The road surface that bad you all look like noddy dogs anyway. 

1 minute ago, fink said:

The road surface that bad you all look like noddy dogs anyway. 

Ha, you got that right! Seasickness is a common thing on Oxfordshire roads...

• Member Contributer
On 8/7/2017 at 10:43 PM, thtanner said:

Maybe their rear-end hurts. On long trips I stand up for a bit to relieve some discomfort.

Okay, I have been known to stand on the pegs from time to time, too, but...all of them?  No, it's clearly "a thing" with these guys, more akin to the racer crouch on the street.

Ciao,

I want to feel comfortable standing upright on the VFR (5th gen) pegs with no hands and salute all fellow VFR-ians, any tips and pointers? I stand with two hands, but am afraid to go handsless.

Must also be mentioned that I'm too chicken to coast with no hands.. tips?

/semiserious.

• Member Contributer

Did you happen to see the Brno MotoGP race last Sunday?  The winner stood on the pegs as he crossed the finish line.  Which isn't unusual for a MotoGP race winner to do, but what made it memorable was the fact that, this time, he noticeably hesitated when he did it.  Something wasn't right; he had to re-adjust...

If an absolutely insanely talented MotoGP winner can get it wrong, maybe it isn't quite as easy as it looks!

Ciao,

I stand on the pegs when I'm about to hit a big bump, that's about the only time it makes sense for me. I've seen a GS rider do it while cutting through a ditch and going up the ferry ramp. I don't have the ground clearance to get through a ditch, so I dunno.

I did catch the ferry pretty often with him, though. Friendly guy, though he scoffed at the idea that my VFR isn't a full-on sport bike. He did offer to let me try his GS out, though. I wish I could have, it looked super comfy. I could imagine 1000-mile-days on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived