Honda VFR800 2017 Spare Key ? cost after market

most probably someone may have done this already so seeking advise on where and how to get a spare key cheaper in Australia ?

Dealer cost is approx $240 and am thinking if can have one more spare key to leave at the office, in case of emergency. 

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty sure there is at least one Aussie who got a suitable key for cheap (from eBay?).

Google using "site:vfrdiscussion.com". 

• Member Contributer

The thing is he will need a transponder key as the Aussie models have the Honda Ignition Security System HISS. The service manual for the 8th gen (available for download on this site) doesn't seem to cover the HISS or the method of programming another key. Wonder if its the same procedure for the 6th gen?

• Member Contributer

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the HISS systems were the same.  Blank keys can be purchased online, as can the transponder chips.  There are videos out there showing how to make a programming lead and how to use it to program the new transponder chip/key.

Ciao,

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the HISS systems were the same.  Blank keys can be purchased online, as can the transponder chips.  There are videos out there showing how to make a programming lead and how to use it to program the new transponder chip/key.

Ciao,

Pretty sure Kaldek ordered a key from keys in the post.

https://keysinthepost.com

It's a UK site by they probably post over seas. I've used them for hiss and non hiss keys. I use the non hiss for fuel cap and seat as its less suspectable to bending.

Take a photo of your key and of you have they key number supply that as well.

All keys worked perfectly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far.

I will look into all options.

apart from above, I contacted a (Wyn locks) locksmith based in Preston Suburb ( Victoria), quoted $120 to duplicate the keys. I may check out his shop at some stage as well.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I followed that video and sorted it myself, very informative and easy to follow. The leads cost me £5:00 to make and the key was under £5:00. my local key cutter wouldn't touch it so I cut it with a Dremel and a needle file.

These immobilizer keys are very cheap if you get the ID46 transponders separately and blanks keys separate. 10pcs chips n 10pcs keys shouldnot cost more than $20.

And programming is free as you do it urself.

Thanks to the chinese at our help these bits cost peanuts.

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, mybikemylife said:

most probably someone may have done this already so seeking advise on where and how to get a spare key cheaper in Australia ?

Dealer cost is approx $240 and am thinking if can have one more spare key to leave at the office, in case of emergency. 

I know they are in Adelaide but they did a Honda HISS key for my wifes CB400 http://www.portlocksmiths.com.au/

Archived